All future Alphas will be SLT!!!???

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
alphaomega
Viceroy

All future Alphas will be SLT!!!???

Unread post by alphaomega »

Picked up this link through sonyalpharumors http://translate.google.com/translate?j ... o%2C1_7341
If true (it has an SR5 rating) then it confirms my belief that the A580 was the last Sony with a movable mirror. I think I will put mine in a glass box as a trophy.
So even the next FF will be SLT. Maybe Sony will bring out say an A5 (or whatever) FF with 36Mp or so sensor and firing like a machine gun (in continuous shooting) to beat whatever Canon and Nikon can produce until the figure out how to do SLT cameras. Can you visualise sports shooters at premier ship matches equipped with Sony FF SLT cameras and 500mm F2.8 lens plus 70-400mm zoom doing video and stills while the Canon and Nikon folks look on in amazement. Just a dream I guess.
WaltKnapp
Oligarch

Re: All future Alphas will be SLT!!!???

Unread post by WaltKnapp »

The headline should be "Sony drops out of DSLR! Back to consumer camera EVF!"

Now maybe the FF folks will realize they are in the same boat with a700 folks. Not immune to the loss of their pentaprism OVF DSLR.

Walt
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

Many predicted this I'm just glad I'm out of it and started with another maker.
I'll eat mouldy rocks before I'll use an EVF or accept a fixed mirror on a body :lol:
Lonnie Utah
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by Lonnie Utah »

bfitzgerald wrote:I'll eat mouldy rocks before I'll use an EVF or accept a fixed mirror on a body :lol:
Quoted so one day we can make Barry eat mouldy rocks...
bfitzgerald

As I have 5 film bodies I can avoid EVF's for just about as long as I want!

I strongly dislike EVF's and a few love affair articles on the Luminous Landscape or glowing reviews on sites won't change that either.
OneGuyKs

Unread post by OneGuyKs »

bfitzgerald wrote:As I have 5 film bodies I can avoid EVF's for just about as long as I want!

I strongly dislike EVF's and a few love affair articles on the Luminous Landscape or glowing reviews on sites won't change that either.
And I hate OVF. The world does not revolve around you. Good thing OVF are being dumped (it started with Panasonic G1 two years ago and will continue, thankfully).
bfitzgerald

The difference between you and I is that whilst I don't like EVF's I've no problems with users having a "choice" in the matter. Most OVF users would support this stance. EVF fans on the other hand have a obsession with removing choices for users. SLT on it's own isn't the issue it's the lack of choice.

BTW the G1 didn't sell that well because the world was not waiting for EVF's and it's still not waiting for them now :shock:
Simply put it's a long term cost cutting measure from Sony of that there is no doubt at all.

We had the same zealous death cries for film to be dead and buried..didn't happen because photography is a "craft" and people want a real choice if you oppose that then I actually feel very sorry for you. I am pro choice you are purely Authoritarianism in stance we have to "accept your wishes" tough luck if we don't sorry but that's not the done thing I'm afraid.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

MickeyMouse EVF's are a joke compared to a good OVF, they unnecessarily waste battery power and cause overheating, AND 1/60sec refresh is NOT fast enough for even medium telephoto lens use.
Greg
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

Played with an a55 last week in the store. While it WAS super quiet, the EVF was too awkward when following fast motion or trying to get quickly on target. I would probably use it for some wedding shot, do to the low noise, but not as an outside camera.

If Sony leaves OFV, I'll leave Sony when my cameras wear out, and move to Pentax or Nikon.

Dusty
WaltKnapp
Oligarch

Unread post by WaltKnapp »

Dusty wrote:Played with an a55 last week in the store. While it WAS super quiet, the EVF was too awkward when following fast motion or trying to get quickly on target. I would probably use it for some wedding shot, do to the low noise, but not as an outside camera.

If Sony leaves OFV, I'll leave Sony when my cameras wear out, and move to Pentax or Nikon.

Dusty
Most of my shooting is outside, and in serious investigations of the a55 came to the same conclusion. If I was doing stills off of tripods of non moving subjects then maybe some use but not for anything active for subject or for camera movement. And even the non-moving stuff would be harder to do. (and there is no macro ringflash anyway)

And while I probably have the most complete and best system of my life with my current A mount a700 system I see little other than having to leave, probably to Nikon because they don't play games with their customers. And probably never again affording what I have right now today.

Walt
Lonnie Utah
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by Lonnie Utah »

Looks like the resale value of my A900 on ebay just went up....
OneGuyKs

Unread post by OneGuyKs »

Since you are already a Pentax user, what are you doing here whining about choice? Go to Pentax forum and whine there about giving users a choice for EVF PDAF cameras.
peterottaway
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by peterottaway »

Well most of the IIB ( Ignorance Is Bliss ) crew have jumped on to this discussion. Can I ask you fellas what is your total experience in hours or days of shooting with the A33 or A55 and under what circumstances and with what lenses ?

I have been using the A33 ( along with A850 ) all through the southern summer and am well aware of the EVFs weaknesses but it is for me still an adequate compromise. Would I accept this level of performance in a A77 ? No. Would I accept this level of performance in a A99 ? A most emphatic NO.

But for the price and to be used as a general walk about camera where the alternatives would be a high end P & S or a bottom end consumer DSLR it is a very good camera and the sort of rubbish end OVF found at this price level would compromise the camera a lot more. Today is 24C to 39C with a UV index of 13 and with high humidity levels as a cyclone is pushing tropical air down the coast so I called it a day outside at about 12.30 pm. For most of the year we get by general European ( or Japanese ) standards, extremely bright and high contrast light which does at times causes considerable artifacting and posterization effects with this quality of EVF and you do need to take care. But you also encounter problems with even the A850 OVF in the same circumstances and the back LCD screen becomes totally useless.

By the way, I haven't used my A700 since I bought the A33.

Take it away boys.
mike2008
Heirophant

Unread post by mike2008 »

peterottaway wrote:Well most of the IIB ( Ignorance Is Bliss ) crew have jumped on to this discussion. Can I ask you fellas what is your total experience in hours or days of shooting with the A33 or A55 and under what circumstances and with what lenses ?
Now now, don't go spoiling their fun by asking for boring things such as how long they have actually handled the SLT cameras.

I have noticed something systematic with the complainers, whenever they talk about changing system it's always in terms of getting brand new kit to replace their old, bashed around kit, so it turns out very expensive. Funny that.

BTW, on SAR from a poll of 2000 people who are obviously pretty enthusiastic photographers (why else would they read SAR) 42% said they are happy with the SLT future. I didn't vote as I don't know yet what the A77 EVF will be like, but it's an indication of how far the A55 has moved people's opinions.

Clearly not here though. How people can judge what the A77 will be like before it's launched is beyond me, but that's what Greg, Walt, Barry et al. are doing. Clearly getting desperate.
alphaomega
Viceroy

Unread post by alphaomega »

mike200 wrote (among other things
Clearly not here though. How people can judge what the A77 will be like before it's launched is beyond me, but that's what Greg, Walt, Barry et al. are doing. Clearly getting desperate.
I agree with the first part. There is no point in beeing too strong in pre lauch condemnations until we see and feel the real thing and read reviews. It may be that for certain people any form or quality of EVF will not do. On the other hand it is worth waiting to see what will be in this "ground breaking" device.
It is rumoured that the EVF will be superior to what is in the A55. There may be no ghosting and any delay may have been eliminated as far as the human brain's processing is concerned. They may also have found a way of doing away with the mechanical shutter and processing 24Mp images to provide a long string of RAW images at an excess of 10 images per second. The camera may also have made the ISO noise debate irrelevant. We will just have to wait and see what technological innovations have been included and how the camera performs in practice. It may be a "dud" but more likely a real step forward in "can do" camera design. Time will tell. It won't be for Barry Fitzgerald, but then he has at least one foot in the Pentax camp. It won't be for me as I already have the A580 and will focus on expanding my NEX system (an optimal quality/weight compromise).