a55 doesn't recognize Tamron 17-50

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Argonaut
Oligarch

a55 doesn't recognize Tamron 17-50

Unread post by Argonaut »

I use Lightroom and want to invoke lens corrections. The shots taken with my a55 and the Tamron 17-50 show up in EXIF data with the correct focal length but no lens description. Is this fixable? I don't want to have to manually instruct LR on a per-picture basis.

THNX
Sony a77ii, RX-100 I; RX10 iii; Rokinon 8mm f/3.5; Tamron 17-50; Sony 70-400G; Lightroom 6.2; Photoshop CS5; PicturesToExe 8.0.
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Re: a55 doesn't recognize Tamron 17-50

Unread post by pakodominguez »

Argonaut wrote:I use Lightroom and want to invoke lens corrections. The shots taken with my a55 and the Tamron 17-50 show up in EXIF data with the correct focal length but no lens description. Is this fixable? I don't want to have to manually instruct LR on a per-picture basis.

THNX
I don't think you can "fix" it, but you can create a "setting" just with the lens correction for it, right?
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Argonaut
Oligarch

I can take any photo and apply a lens correction to it - and the Tamron 17-50 has a profile already resident in LR. BUT - if the lens is not EXIF-identified I have to go photo by photo and tell LR which lens is involved. Giant Bummer. If the EXIF data contained that info, then everything would happen automatically. So the question is, how do I get my a55 to recognize the lens by name and not just by focal length?
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

Use an EXIF editor to add the lens data to the file.

Dusty
UrsaMajor
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by UrsaMajor »

Dusty wrote:Use an EXIF editor to add the lens data to the file.
As additional information, I have read that at least one of the EXIF editing programs will do batch processing.

I do not know this as a fact, and I do not recall the name of the program that was claimed to have this capability, but you may find it useful to search for EXIF editors that will do this.

With best wishes,
- Tom -
agorabasta
Viceroy

Unread post by agorabasta »

The Lr/ACR may not recognize the lens as a particular model, but it still distinguishes between those 'unrecognised' lenses based on EXIF data. So you simply change the 'default' setting under the 'Lens Corrections / Profile' to match your lens. Then it gets all automatic, as it normally should.
But some lenses may still get mixed up, e.g. Tamron 28-75 and Tamron 18-250.
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Argonaut wrote:I can take any photo and apply a lens correction to it - and the Tamron 17-50 has a profile already resident in LR. BUT - if the lens is not EXIF-identified I have to go photo by photo and tell LR which lens is involved. Giant Bummer. If the EXIF data contained that info, then everything would happen automatically. So the question is, how do I get my a55 to recognize the lens by name and not just by focal length?
A LR Preset is a one click operation, you understand that, right? is that really too much?
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Argonaut
Oligarch

An EXIF editor would be *better* than what I'm doing, but it's far from satisfactory. Let's assume I use more than one unidentified lens - how long will it take to sort thousands of photos and figure out which photo was taken with which lens? Is that process capable of being batched, or would I have to pre-sort manually in some fashion? I know there are legacy lenses in this group that will always require extra work, but the Tamron is "modern". There's no reason Sony couldn't ID it.

Pako wrote, "A LR Preset is a one click operation, you understand that, right? is that really too much?" Well, Pako, I don't have the largest photo library in the world, but out of my 10,000+ photos LR says the lens is unknown in 7714 of them. The Tamron is new and accounts for maybe 150 shots. Now if you can tell me how to solve my problem with "one click", then I won't call your response condescending.
Sony a77ii, RX-100 I; RX10 iii; Rokinon 8mm f/3.5; Tamron 17-50; Sony 70-400G; Lightroom 6.2; Photoshop CS5; PicturesToExe 8.0.
redsim74
Oligarch

Unread post by redsim74 »

It's not the Alpha that isn't recognising the lens, it's LR not recognising it in the lens table. Adding to the problem is that Tamron have used a generic lens ID (255) which it shares amongst at least six other lenses:

Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F2.8 XR Di II LD Asph
Tamron AF 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 XR Di II LD
Tamron SP AF 10-24mm F3.5-4.5 Di II LD Asph IF
Tamron AF 55-200mm F4-5.6 Di II
Tamron AF 70-300mm F4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2
Tamron SP AF 200-500mm F5.0-6.3 Di LD IF
Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F2.8 Di LD IF Macro

If you are using a PC, you may want to check this link out: http://www.equational.org/importphotos/

It is a command line tool that will import photos and adjust the lens description automatically based on the lens ID.

Sim
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Argonaut wrote: Pako wrote, "A LR Preset is a one click operation, you understand that, right? is that really too much?" Well, Pako, I don't have the largest photo library in the world, but out of my 10,000+ photos LR says the lens is unknown in 7714 of them. The Tamron is new and accounts for maybe 150 shots. Now if you can tell me how to solve my problem with "one click", then I won't call your response condescending.
I don't consider myself a savvy, even if I use LR for my workflow everyday. And I don't have to face your problems because I don't need to correct my Tamron (70-200mm f2.8) or Sigma (24mm f2.8) lenses. the rest of my lenses are Minolta or Sony, so the EXIF is proper. I'm just telling what will I do in your situation.

If I were in your sad situation, I'll create a Collection for the lens in question, then apply a lens' correction Preset. so, you need 2 clicks... and that's probably not a biggy for me because my computer at home is not that slow and because I'm used to correct thousands of images a day at work.

I don't like the idea of modifying the EXIF.

Regards
Pako
------------
Argonaut
Oligarch

I'll create a Collection for the lens in question, then apply a lens' correction Preset. so, you need 2 clicks..
Jeez, Pako. I go through a library of 10,000 photos, identify the ones taken with the Tamron (about 150, and thank goodness taken within a short known period of time), make a collection of them, apply the preset to the collection, and all it takes is two clicks? I'd ask you how to do this in two, but I get the feeling I've fallen down a rabbit hole.

Sim - that's a really great reference. I'll give it a try. I also like the option of a backup copy at the same time. I was planning to be on the road with a laptop and an external USB hard drive, going through the card backup procedure twice. Nice shortcut.
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Argonaut wrote: but I get the feeling I've fallen down a rabbit hole.
What do your shrink think about it?

If it is so painful to locate 150 pics you took in the last (two?) months, I think you have a problem with DAM. I recommend you http://www.thedambook.com/

Regards
Pako
------------
Argonaut
Oligarch

Sim - that Alphalens program you found did work, to a point. It inserted the lens name into EXIF and I can see it in the Library module. But, LR did not automatically call up the lens profile in the Develop module. However, I found some help in lightroomforums.net.

http://www.lightroomforums.net/showthre ... light=lens

Once I followed those instructions, all photos taken with the Tamron 17-50 defaulted to the proper lens profile. Now here's the interesting part. On my legacy lenses, the lens name either appears correctly or the lens field does not appear at all. Without using Alphalens to load the right name, the Library module shows the lens field filled with three dashes instead of a name for the Tamron, AND, I can link the profile using the same technique. (Query - do the three dashes mean a lens has been uniquely identified, but the name for some reason is hidden?) IOW, it does not matter if the right lens name appears in the Library module. If I ever get another Tamron lens, that might change, but for now, problem solved. This does appear to be a Tamron/Lightroom issue, not an a55 issue.
chriznatch
Initiate

Unread post by chriznatch »

Slightly off-topic, but where do you find the LR lens correction profiles? When I go to lens correction/profile/ custom, and select the a-700, it shows only four lenses: the 18-200, the 50 f1.4, the 16 f2/8. and the sony 18-55. I gather from the above thread that there are other profiles available in LR. Where would I go to find them?
Argonaut
Oligarch

Chriszatch: check this out

http://www.adobepress.com/articles/arti ... 1&seqNum=5

Remember that many lenses have not been profiled, AND the profiles you see are different using jpg and raw files, with most profiles set up for raw. You won't those profiles if you're working on a jpg.