A350 live view limitation

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

A350 live view limitation

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

This is an interesting comment and quite right, I do level criticism and not just praise Sony Alpha products:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read. ... e=28683507

In reply, I will explain why I don't use the live view much - and refer to a problem I just landed a friend with. I shoot using studio flash, or manual exposure with (auto) wireless flash, in many situations. The Alpha 300/350 live view can not be used in the studio with modelling lights (unless the modelling lights were so bright no flash was needed). Nor can you use manual exposure with wireless flash in many conditions as the live view will be too dark to see. In fact, I do find the live view useful in regular daylight but one reason I wanted the 14 megapixels was for top grade studio work!

Last week, I had a food shoot to do, and had to use the Alpha 700 though 14 megapixels would have been even better.

Tonight, Ian Cartwright, a very good professional photographer, called me. I had recommended the Alpha 350 to him for his underwater baby shots. He needed - live view, instant focus and firing, remote triggering of Broncolor studio flash surrounding the swimming pool used, tilting screen to look down and compose while standing in the pool holding the underwater housing below the surface (but very near it). He had been using a Canon G6 but he's upping the game and wanting to take this work to the highest level possible. Guess what? I overlooked that he would be using an FS-1100 and Pocket Wizard to fire his big flash units, and the camera would be set to 1/200th at f/8. The live view was completely black. He could not use the camera at all.

See: http://www.everybodysmile.biz/caramelph ... abies.html

Now, we are hoping he can make an Olympus E-3 work OK and provide an auto-gain view - but sensor-based focus is not fast enough for these subjects, and mirror-flip-flop AF is not fast enough. The Alpha 350 is the ideal solution but Sony designed out compatibility with studio flash systems when they programmed the way the LV works. I am now emailing Sony to see whether a custom fix could be made to enable Ian's A350 to do the job. I'm feeling very guilty for getting Ian to fork out on an A350 and 17-50mm Tamron f2.8, without realising that the problem which affects my studio work would of course make his 'studio' in the swimming pool unworkable too. If anyone knows of a 10+ megapixel, larger sensor, tilting live view screen with gain independent of exposure, Pocket Wizard compatible camera with good high ISO IQ and lightning fast focus/firing...

David
plevyadophy
Acolyte

Re: A350 live view limitation

Unread post by plevyadophy »

In response to your post on your main site, entitled Alpha Live View in the studio - solved!
http://www.photoclubalpha.com/2008/07/2 ... io-solved/ I had this to say:

-------- Quote ----------------

Thank you Sir, for drawing this matter to our attention.

However, I have one concern; and that is that if Sony do implement some kind of auto gain that they may do it incorrectly.

The way it should be done, is as it is done on the Sony Fxx series, and R1 cameras.

How it works is this.

If you are in manual mode and disable flash, then the live view will show you exactly what you would get as an ambient exposure. So for example, in a studio setting an exposure set to say F11 and 1/250s will result in a black screen/live view.

This to my mind is exactly how it should act.

However, if you maintain those exposure settings but then enable flash, auto gain takes over and brightens the live view so that you can see what you are doing.

If the firmware fix results in the kind of scenario I have just outlined then that would be fine. If Sony make the mistake of giving us auto gain any time the camera is set to Manual exposure mode that would be a disaster.

----------- End Quote ----------------

I would be interested in your opinion on the type of live view I have suggested.

I have to say I was quite surprised to find that live view on the a3xx DSLRs didn't work that way. It looks like a case of the Alpha division not calling upon the expertise of their colleagues in other camera divisions.

Regards,
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

We have suggested to Sony that a menu item should disable/enable the live view gain link to manual (which only works over a limited range - it can not show over 2 stops overexposures as it auto limits to prevent damage). An auto switch depending on flash being fitted would only work if the flash has a ready signal; Sony say they do not plan to give any flash adaptor a ready signal. Again, we (me via my Sony UK contact) are asking for that to be changed.

David
plevyadophy
Acolyte

Unread post by plevyadophy »

David Kilpatrick wrote:We have suggested to Sony that a menu item should disable/enable the live view gain link to manual (which only works over a limited range - it can not show over 2 stops overexposures as it auto limits to prevent damage). An auto switch depending on flash being fitted would only work if the flash has a ready signal; Sony say they do not plan to give any flash adaptor a ready signal. Again, we (me via my Sony UK contact) are asking for that to be changed.

David
I am a bit confused about this flash ready thingy you are talking about.

On the two Sony cams I mentioned you don't even have to have a flashgun attached to the hotshoe. For as long as you have the option/menu setting enabled to trigger the hotshoe (or the internal flash for that matter) auto gain will be activated.

I am therefore at a loss as to why this kind of setup can't simply be enabled on the Alphas without being dependant upon a flashgun being present in the hotshoe AND having some kind of flash ready signal transmitted to the camera.

Very strange indeed.

Every camera company produces cameras with a "feature" that makes one scratch one's head and say "what were they thinking of!!", and this Sony live view issue (and all this flash ready signal malarkey) seems like one of them to me.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Sony Japan has been very stubborn about this, but Sony UK is pressing them to make a change. I hope it will happen with new firmware. Wait and see.

David