A580: am I using focus check live view wrong?

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
mvanrheenen

A580: am I using focus check live view wrong?

Unread post by mvanrheenen »

Hello,

It looks like I'm having a little trouble using the Focus Check live view mode on my a580.

I always manual focus using the OVF, but when focus is critical, I like to use the focus check live view mode on my camera. When I do, I always use a tripod.

I'm beginning to notice a pattern when focussing this way, that when in live view the focus seems spot on, when I take the shot and review the results, my focus seems off with an out of focus image as a result.

I tried using the 2 sec drive mode to minimize vibration due to mirror slap, but still I get the same result.

Am I using focus check live view wrong or am I expecting too much of it? What can I do to get sharper results?

Thanks in advance.

Mark
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Re: A580: am I using focus check live view wrong?

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

It is not necessarily Focus Check LV on the A580. It can also be Contrast Detect AF. If you select Phase Detect AF in the menu, unless you set your camera to Manual focus the camera will try to set the focus again using PD, when you press the shutter after doing Focus Check (exactly how it works depends on the lens type).

It's possible that if you set MF on the lens and not on the camera body, the PD mechanism will still shift the focus position. With the 580 it is always better to turn to MF on the body, not the lens.

David
mvanrheenen

Hi David,

Thank you for your reply.

Alas, the camera was set to MF and the lens doesn't have any focus options.

Mark
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

OK, then maybe you have focus shift. Remember, the point of focus at full aperture is not the same as the point of focus stopped down to f/8 for example with most lenses. You can do LV focus at the working aperture, just press the depth of field preview button.

David
mvanrheenen

Hi David,

Can't remember the aperture value at the time I tested it this week. Should be around f10 or f11. I'll look into it some more.

Thank you for the hints.

Mark
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Just a thought Mark, is the lens a current production 8 pin job? not an old 5 pin lens is it?
Greg
Ralpheyesight
Initiate

Unread post by Ralpheyesight »

I may be bit late but if using a tripod are you switching of the Super Steady Shot feature, which as I have always understood will try and correct even when on a tripod and thus can cause slight softness to an image.
I find the lack of external switch and having to use the menu to access this facility a pain after the A100 and 700. Maybe it is possible to set up a personal profile which completes this for you.