SR5 Rumour on SAR with A77 and A65 main specs

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
alphaomega
Viceroy

SR5 Rumour on SAR with A77 and A65 main specs

Unread post by alphaomega »

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-the- ... -5n-specs/
Have fun reading it. Had I been younger and stronger I would go for that A77. As things stand I will probably invest in the NEX-7 thingie.
That Smart teleconverter function with 1.4x and 2.0x option intrigues me. Looks like an inbuilt upsizing program. Like a bicubic addition adding pixels as required instead of using 1.4 or 2.0 converters. So your 300mm becomes 420 or 600mm or rather from 450 to 630 or 900mm in APS-C speak. I wonder if this is better than uprating and trimming in PS. What next after smile function etc.
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Re: SR5 Rumour on SAR with A77 and A65 main specs

Unread post by Dusty »

My a350 has the teleconvertor function - albeit at only 1.4x. All it does is crop your photo!

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).
artington
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by artington »

No separate EVF then. Mind you still only rumour. Can't really see the point of the Nex5N and suspect enthusiasts will dump the NEX5 for the NEX7 to get the EVF. Of course, the rapid pace of tech improvement is also accelerating depreciation on old stock. Maybe Ricoh has it right with its modular approach, particularly now it's introducing an M-mount unit. At a price, though.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

The teleconverter thing on 24 megapixels may simply be a crop, which would be sensible. But what matters is how it handles video. If full 1080p is retained at 1.4X and 2X crops, then the purpose of this converter would be clear - and it would also be a relatively unique feature.

I think this may be the case. Sensor design has been heading in the direction of cropped full res video output, and at 2X a 24 megapixel sensor has 3000 pixels across to play with - so more than enough for 1920 s 1080.

Also, this sensor may possibly be intended to allow very high speed capture at 6 megapixels full frame, and may be able to capture 4K video (double the size of HD1080p) when implemented in a future 4K video camera.

David
alphaomega
Viceroy

Maybe the 1.4 and 2.0 thing is only a crop. My initial thoughts were that these 1.4 and 2.0 extensions were a software thing based on what Sony have built into their new P&S camera http://dpreview.com/news/1107/11072510sonydsctx55.asp
It introduces brand-new ‘Clear Image Zoom’ that boosts magnification without lowering the pixel count in the final image. Exclusive to Sony, ‘By Pixel Super Resolution’ processing further extends the camera’s 5x optical zoom range, allowing full-resolution 16.2 megapixel images with a maximum 10x zoom.
I thought that Sony would be extra smart and introduce this kind of wizardry that would actually provide in camera upsizing and make one prime lens into three at the press of a button. That could be quite useful for the spies and bobbies as well as wild life photographers DK is writing about in his latest article. But then I am not a techie.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Fuji do the interpolation thing too. It's horrible. Really, you can't get anything all that good by blowing up a crop to 24 megapixels - all you get is a huge file.

David
alphaomega
Viceroy

David Kilpatrick wrote:
Fuji do the interpolation thing too. It's horrible. Really, you can't get anything all that good by blowing up a crop to 24 megapixels - all you get is a huge file.
I do remember the article about that Fuji and how it was returned without delay.
My thoughts were, what's the point about a preset crop (or two) in the camera? I can do my own cropping with the cropping tool on the original image exactly to my requirements rather than being restricted to Sony's settings. This is a device for experienced photographers. They can do their own post processing. In any event I think that the main article http://www.photoclubalpha.com/2011/08/0 ... -surprise/ hits the nail (if the rumours are true). This camera could be a game changer for Sony and gain inroads into NIKCAN users (if the AF is up to super scratch). Sony just need more G type lenses and that 500mm F4 should be release ASAP.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Well, we're off to a wee wetland meeting soon :-) Hope they have the 500mm. Hope they have the A77. If it's something else, I end up being a) wrong b) having wasted a lot of money on petrol and hotel bills. Then again, we need a short break, not so long we can't leave the cats to their own devices though.

David
Mark K
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Mark K »

David Kilpatrick wrote:Well, we're off to a wee wetland meeting soon :-) Hope they have the 500mm. Hope they have the A77. If it's something else, I end up being a) wrong b) having wasted a lot of money on petrol and hotel bills. Then again, we need a short break, not so long we can't leave the cats to their own devices though.

David
My thought on 500/4...what if it costs more than a Canon 600/4 IS....this happens all the time at Nikon side.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Of course they did not have it. I don't know how Sony think on these lines. I know, for example, how much the landed cost of a Sigma monster costing £5000+ actually is. So I have a vague idea of the margin on these big lenses. But whether Sony would consider cutting their margin to undercut Nikon or Canon - uncertain...

David
Mark K
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Mark K »

David
It seems to me that all manufacturers are raising prices of their optics together, like if they have a deal. I know the the price for electronic parts are escalating but have no idea how will this affect the price of premium lenses.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

The exchange rate is probably the main culprit in all Japanese export prices going up. For example in June 2007 the USD = 124Y at the moment it's down to 77Y.
Greg
Lonnie Utah
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by Lonnie Utah »

Greg Beetham wrote:The exchange rate is probably the main culprit in all Japanese export prices going up.
^^^ This.