I am sorely tempted to trade in my a700 for an a580

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
gio67
Imperial Ambassador

I am sorely tempted to trade in my a700 for an a580

Unread post by gio67 »

is this a good idea, I like the video although I won't use it a lot and the reticulating screen

what will I be gaining ? and what will I be missing?

thanks
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Re: I am sorely tempted to trade in my a700 for an a580

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

We could have sold the A700, but kept it. It's possible we may go back to using it instead of the A580 at some point. I can't speak for Shirley, I can only judge on the basis of the pictures, but the smaller viewfinder just does not seem to be informing her as accurately about focus and composition, and when asked to try the A700 again it's the viewfinder which makes the most difference.
Pirate
Oligarch

Unread post by Pirate »

Would adding the Sony FDA-ME1AM eyepiece to the A580 make a noticeable difference?

Sony FDA-ME1AM Magnifying Eyepiece - Product Report
gio67
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by gio67 »

thanks David, I'm still as undecided as ever
Andy B
Heirophant

Unread post by Andy B »

gio67 wrote:thanks David, I'm still as undecided as ever
I'm in the same boat concerning replacing my A700 with an A580. Have read good things about its image quality and think I would like the tiltable LCD screen and video for photographing my grandson, but I would miss the A700's viewfinder, ergonomics and controls. Unfortunately, I've yet to find a camera store that stocks the A580 so that I can see how it feels in my hands or try it with my Sony or Pentax eyepiece magnifiers added. It's really frustrating shopping for Sony gear in West Michigan.

Andy
twm47099
Oligarch

Unread post by twm47099 »

Pirate wrote:Would adding the Sony FDA-ME1AM eyepiece to the A580 make a noticeable difference?
I have the eyepiece mounted on both my KM 7D and Sony A700. It definitely improves them. I have tried one on my A100. I did not notice that the improvement was significant. It did increase the size of the image, but the darker VF of the A100 became even darker so I found it more difficult to use. I believe that the QLV (Not sure if the 580 has QLV) VFs are even darker. So I don't know if the eyepiece would help you that much. I am a bit of a VF freak and actually stayed with Minolta because of their excellent VFs, so it might be more of an issue for me.

tom
MarcoC
Initiate

David

Unread post by MarcoC »

Really surprised by your post about the a700 as you were very positive about the a580, stating that the focus, for example, was better than on the a700, leading to more keepers.

I have two say I have held onto my two a700s because I just like the ergonomics, OVF and also the quick navi.

I might save up for an a77 - but if it comes in at £1000 UK sterling body only it will take a long time for my piggy bank to be full enough for that :-(
tom power 53
Heirophant

Unread post by tom power 53 »

Seems like waiting to see reults of the new A77 would be a good idea before making any decision. Supposedly just a couple days now.
Mark K
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Mark K »

David Kilpatrick wrote:We could have sold the A700, but kept it. It's possible we may go back to using it instead of the A580 at some point. I can't speak for Shirley, I can only judge on the basis of the pictures, but the smaller viewfinder just does not seem to be informing her as accurately about focus and composition, and when asked to try the A700 again it's the viewfinder which makes the most difference.
I can't agree more. There are cameras I bought without any hesitation and A700 was the one. I went to Sony's local CS and their showrooms for so many times and I could not make up my decision for A580. The viewfinder of A580 is one thing I cannot accept.
:mrgreen: