One for DK

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
artington
Imperial Ambassador

One for DK

Unread post by artington »

A thought for you David. I should be very interested to hear your views about the suitability of the new 16-50/2.8 for the older high end APS-C alpha cameras, ie the a700 AND the KM7D. There seem to be many out there who think 24mp is overkill for this size sensor but how, I wonder, will the lower pixel density sensors get on with this potentially interesting lens? Needless to say, I have a vested interest having ditched my a700 but kept my wonderful 7D
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Re: One for DK

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

There is no reason why it should not be totally compatible with the KM7D. That camera can use SSM lenses and indeed shows a major improvement in focus speed and accuracy when fitted with them. So far, the dPreview real-life samples are very disappointing indeed - so much that I would never consider buying either the A77 or the lens on the basis of what they reveal. But I think this is down to the photographers, their failure to do simple things like bracket exposures, and the quality of the web JPEGs (possibly also the quality of the early firmware).

Let's add though that 17-50mm, 16-50mm, anything to 50mm has little appeal for me. I use a 24-85mm on my A900 even though I know it is lower quality than my 28-75mm, and it's mainly because it has a longer portrait end. I'm getting a new 28-75mm Sony SAM lens and maybe that will win me over by even higher quality and faster focus.

The 16-50mm f/2.8 desperately needs a 50-135mm f/2.8 companion (a 70-200mm equivalent). Then, with just two lenses and perhaps a 2X teleconverter built to match the 50-135mm, most everyday needs would be covered. It's interesting that Tokina do not make either their 16-50mm f/2.8 (very similar to the Sony) or their 50-135mm f/2.8 in Sony fit. Minolta/Sony used Tokina for a whole bunch of lenses over the past years, the 28-80mm kit lens was Tokina, the 100-300mm APO D and the 100-4000 APO were both Tokina designs sold to Minolta on an exclusive deal.

David
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Re: One for DK

Unread post by pakodominguez »

David Kilpatrick wrote: It's interesting that Tokina do not make either their 16-50mm f/2.8 (very similar to the Sony) or their 50-135mm f/2.8 in Sony fit.
The other day, just by curiosity, I was looking for this lens, that had wonderful reviews when it was introduced, but it is not available at Adorama or B&H anymore... I hope they are working on an updated lens, and adding the Alpha mount version...
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;