SLT sales at London Camera Exchange

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Re: SLT sales at London Camera Exchange

Unread post by pakodominguez »

Greg Beetham wrote:Looking at the world market for a moment, http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Elec ... 76680011#1 I frequently see claims about how well the SLT’s are selling for Sony and how they are taking market share away from the big two. Well not according to Amazon, I couldn’t find any SLT’s on the first two pages of the top selling 100 digital SLR’s, even the Pentax K-5 and K-r are listed above them, also the new Nikon J1 is ranked above the SLT A55 (must be based on pre-orders for the Nikon I guess, and the NEX 7 looks like it has attracted quite a few pre-orders also).
Greg
Hi Greg,

Next time you met a Sony REP, ask him/her how they distributions works, and what Amazon means for them. Sony sells more through the Sonystyle stores and websites than any other distributors.
In other words, it's like using Amazon as a measuring system of how many apple books are selling -when we know Apple sell more at their own stores and websites...

regards
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

Not sure how well Sony are doing in their own stores esp not the UK. Do I not remember DK saying many have closed down?
Price wise they are not really a logical choice for most buyers they're some way off normal high street prices.

I doubt SLT will take off anywhere near to the degree Sony are expecting but time will show us on that one.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Ha ha Pako you’re a scream :lol: , meet a Sony rep in Townsville indeed, I don’t think Sony even knows Townsville exists; there is certainly no Sony store here. In any case the prices at Sony Style Australia (online) are massively overpriced compared to what I can get the same thing for from say, B&H or Adorama. ($4000.00 for an about to be extinct A900 body for example, I bet they never sold too many in Australia, and they haven’t even ever stocked the A580)
Greg
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

I just got a magazine back marked gone away - Sony Centre Maidstone.

David
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

While in town today (Worcester) I passed the London Camera Exchange (LCE) and they had both A77 and A65 on display 'for sale' in the window. I was only able to resist going in to check out the new bodies because my car park ticket was about to expire. There was also a notice in the window saying that a "Sony Expert visiting on 19 November". I wonder who it will be? You're not on tour are you DK?
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

I'll be sure to check that out next time I'm around a LCE place.
I think they are trying with Sony (and Pentax) the shops might be useful esp for folks looking for s/h lenses and stuff too.
But most know they get the majority of their sales from Canikon it's just easy to sell for them.

The A65 seems to be a bit more expensive than we first thought with the release price it's not far off of £900 at Jessops it's surely in for a tough time v the now cheaper D7000 and 60d and K-5. Even the Canon 7d is not that much more. At this level it would take a miracle for Sony to do much damage to it's rivals.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Me? Expert? I'm not even an advocate! That will be Paul I am absolutely sure.

David
Ossie
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Ossie »

Birma wrote:While in town today (Worcester) I passed the London Camera Exchange (LCE) and they had both A77 and A65 on display 'for sale' in the window. I was only able to resist going in to check out the new bodies because my car park ticket was about to expire.
I recently called into LCE Colchester to get the sensors on my A100 and A700 cleaned prior to my trip to India and there on display was the A77. Well I had to have a play didn't I? For the brief time I had it in my hands it was a joy to use and that oh soooooooo silent shutter release and that big bright EVF. Managed to resist buying it on the spot but it was a close thing.

A week later I discovered that my tripod bag was falling apart and went back to LCE to get a replacement. Oh dear, there still on display was the A77 this time with the A65 alongside it. Once again I couldn't resist the urge to get my hands on the A77 but this was a serious mistake. My credit card just seemed to leap into my hand with no apparent input from me and in a matter of minutes the deal, a very good one, was done.

Of course it was after reading DK's excellent hands on review that my resistance began to crumble but it was totally blown away with the A77 in my hands.

So Birma if I may suggest be careful, be very careful if you pop into your local LCE you could be hit by a bout of GAS :wink:

Ossie

Oops! reference a post elsewhere GAS = Gear acquisition syndrome.
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Thanks Ossie :D . I do have a concern about this sort of thing, although surely one little look coudn't hurt ;) ? The two things that may save me are first of all the price (serious investment!), and secondly I'll want to try the Nex 7 before making a decision.
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

Birma wrote: The two things that may save me are first of all the price (serious investment!), and secondly I'll want to try the Nex 7 before making a decision.
In that case, pay attention to the "double-GAS" syndrome...
;)
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

pakodominguez wrote:In that case, pay attention to the "double-GAS" syndrome...
;)
Mmm - a very good point Pako :) . It almost makes me hanker after those days when Sony didn't have any new models on the market that caused this sort of GAS, rather than 3 or 4 at once :shock: . Almost ... , but I will learn to live with it :D .
Scooterman
Oligarch

Unread post by Scooterman »

Ossie wrote:
Birma wrote:While in town today (Worcester) I passed the London Camera Exchange (LCE) and they had both A77 and A65 on display 'for sale' in the window. I was only able to resist going in to check out the new bodies because my car park ticket was about to expire.
I recently called into LCE Colchester to get the sensors on my A100 and A700 cleaned prior to my trip to India and there on display was the A77. Well I had to have a play didn't I? For the brief time I had it in my hands it was a joy to use and that oh soooooooo silent shutter release and that big bright EVF. Managed to resist buying it on the spot but it was a close thing.

A week later I discovered that my tripod bag was falling apart and went back to LCE to get a replacement. Oh dear, there still on display was the A77 this time with the A65 alongside it. Once again I couldn't resist the urge to get my hands on the A77 but this was a serious mistake. My credit card just seemed to leap into my hand with no apparent input from me and in a matter of minutes the deal, a very good one, was done.

Of course it was after reading DK's excellent hands on review that my resistance began to crumble but it was totally blown away with the A77 in my hands.

So Birma if I may suggest be careful, be very careful if you pop into your local LCE you could be hit by a bout of GAS :wink:
Oops! reference a post elsewhere GAS = Gear acquisition syndrome.
Ossie

Well when you try in the shop it does feel nice but be prepared for when you get it home and try it out as I have been today using my old faithful Sigma 100-300mmf4 lens, even the Jpegs are so superior even to my A-580 and I thought they were ok.
Richard
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

I was initially impressed with the JPEG's out of the A77 also, which sort of raises the question of why they are so much better than the RAW's? much internal processing perhaps, but I've seen some JPEG's that look a bit smudgy and smeared in places, so now I’m not so sure about the A77...again, maybe the 12MP size might be a better option under some lighting conditions?
Greg
redsim74
Oligarch

Unread post by redsim74 »

Greg Beetham wrote:I was initially impressed with the JPEG's out of the A77 also, which sort of raises the question of why they are so much better than the RAW's?
Are we back to the old issue of ACR being used to judge raw output? The Adobe conversion made a mess of A700 files for a long time, support doesn't necessarily mean optimisation. Though unfortunately the Sony IDC converter is generally worse.

The other option could be that raws are being cooked but the JPEG engine has access to the sensor data prior to that. All wild speculation of course :wink: