Sony Alpha Live event - Saturday 24th September

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Bengeo
Initiate

Sony Alpha Live event - Saturday 24th September

Unread post by Bengeo »

Originally this was going to be held at Sony HQ with all sorts of extras to photograph such as stunt riders etc. Unfortunately some emergency building works got in the way and the event had to be rearranged in a new location. Sony refunded everyone who had booked and then offered the new event for free.

We met at the Hilton Hotel at Cobham on Saturday morning. Paul Genge gave a very full presentation detailing the road from Minolta through to the latest A77 and NEX-7 cameras. I don’t think Paul gave any secrets away, but he explained the concepts behind the new cameras and dealt with everyone’s questions. Further presentations were given by the Alpha Advocate photographers, Michael Wayne Plant, Gustav (Mr Kingfisher) Kiburg and Celia Henderson showing the images they have shot over the last few weeks with prototype a77 models.

There was a big table with A77’s, NEX-7’s and a full selection of lenses. We each grabbed a camera and lens and moved on to nearby RHS Wisley Gardens. My A77 had arrived the day before, so I stuck a Minolta sticker on it :) so it didn’t get mixed up with the prototypes and picked up a NEX-7 to use in the afternoon.

After a 3 course lunch we spent the afternoon in various groups going round the gardens with Paul and the Advocate photographers trying out different lenses with the new cameras. All too soon, we were back in the restaurant for afternoon tea to end a very good day.
gustav.jpg
(361.22 KiB) Downloaded 1040 times
Gustav with the A77 and 300/2.8

Many thanks to Paul and Caroline from Sony for giving up their time to make the event such a success. For the coach travel between venues to the catering, everything was very well organised. All the attendees seemed to be very pleased with the day and went away clutching goody bags and talking about the new models.

Paul intends to take these events ‘on the road’ going to various parts of the UK starting later this year - so look out for them and do go along if you can.

Andy
Birma
Tower of Babel

Re: Sony Alpha Live event - Saturday 24th September

Unread post by Birma »

Thanks for the update Andy - pity about the emergency building problems but great that the event was a success nonetheless. Sounds like it was a good opportunity to have a go with the prototypes. I will certainly look out for future events.

Any thoughts on the new products? (In particular, Nex 7 and SEL 55-210.)
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
Bengeo
Initiate

Re: Sony Alpha Live event - Saturday 24th September

Unread post by Bengeo »

Birma wrote:Any thoughts on the new products? (In particular, Nex 7 and SEL 55-210.)
I was very impressed with the Nex 7 - only slightly bigger than my Nex 5, but with the wonderful viewfinder. The controls are amazing too. Told it won't be available until November. Not sure if they had a 55-210 there.

Andy