A noisy world on the A77

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
agorabasta
Viceroy

Re: A noisy world on the A77

Unread post by agorabasta »

Personally, I may consider getting an a77 if I find its AF is really needed for my shooting. Otherwise, there are much better choices.

But the AF performance is very important thing to consider.
Mark K
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Mark K »

After DP Review's A77 review, I started to use fixed iso, trying to use not beyond 400
agorabasta
Viceroy

Just for the kicks :wink:

A half-res crop from some DPR Nex7 sample found in their a77 review. The full image screen dimensions would correspond to an about A2 size. Easily printable to A3.

And that's ISO12800... No sophisticated processing, just Lr3.5 with pretty standard settings I use for higher ISO.
Attachments
NEX7-DSC03001.jpg
(234.62 KiB) Downloaded 1990 times
redsim74
Oligarch

Unread post by redsim74 »

agorabasta wrote:Just for the kicks :wink:

A half-res crop from some DPR Nex7 sample found in their a77 review. The full image screen dimensions would correspond to an about A2 size. Easily printable to A3.

And that's ISO12800... No sophisticated processing, just Lr3.5 with pretty standard settings I use for higher ISO.
Not much to complain about there!
Steve4D
Acolyte

Unread post by Steve4D »

agorabasta wrote:Just for the kicks :wink:

That's not bad at all for PP'd 12800.

I'd be quite interested in a side-by-side of same with the a77, which begs the question;

What are your 'pretty stanadard settings' for treating higher ISO in LR3.5? :mrgreen:

Thanks
Steve :)
agorabasta
Viceroy

OK, the a77 sample with the same exact processing and the NR/sharpening used.
Attachments
A77-DSC03096.jpg
(223.1 KiB) Downloaded 1948 times
NR.jpg
(36.71 KiB) Downloaded 1983 times
Steve4D
Acolyte

Unread post by Steve4D »

agorabasta wrote:OK, the a77 sample with the same exact processing and the NR/sharpening used.
Wow, that was quick - thank you!

I normally don't do a lot of peeping at this level but......

The NEX-7 = an over all better result, as one would expect. I'd add; noticeably less blotchy and less chroma noise.

It would be interesting to see these as prints side by side - I will try and do that one myself sometime over the weekend. :wink:

But, I note more detail in the a77 rendition e.g. in the yellow leaves in the bottom left hand corner, just below the squash?

Thank you also for those settings, I will geve them a try.

Interesting that you dial in Radius = 3.0, I usually go the other way to = .8.

Thanks again
Steve
agorabasta
Viceroy

Those samples were obviously focused slightly differently. And given the much higher noise, the NR also fails to smooth the a77 image to the Nex7 levels. The detail was tuned for the Nex, the 77 just received the same settings pasted.

Sharpening at 3.0 radius is actually a microcontrast adjustment that really helps at high ISO. Real sharpening should come upon that, e.g. exporting to TIFF and applying some low radius sharpening then. This time I simply used the 'sharpen for screen' setting at Lr export.

And btw, I changed the SonyModelID of the Nex7 files to the '287' a77 value using the exiftool. So all the 'under the hood' processing in Lr is exactly the same for those samples here.
Steve4D
Acolyte

Unread post by Steve4D »

agorabasta wrote:Those samples were obviously focused slightly differently. And given the much higher noise, the NR also fails to smooth the a77 image to the Nex7 levels. The detail was tuned for the Nex, the 77 just received the same settings pasted.

Sharpening at 3.0 radius is actually a microcontrast adjustment that really helps at high ISO. Real sharpening should come upon that, e.g. exporting to TIFF and applying some low radius sharpening then. This time I simply used the 'sharpen for screen' setting at Lr export.

And btw, I changed the SonyModelID of the Nex7 files to the '287' a77 value using the exiftool. So all the 'under the hood' processing in Lr is exactly the same for those samples here.
Hi

Just thought that I would let you know that your settings are making a marked improvement to my a77 on screen images - and even on PP for some lower (100) ISO RAWs.

Thank you...(and so, the agorabasta a700 settings legend - lives on :lol: )

Regards Steve