Sony SLT-A77 DPR review

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Re: Sony SLT-A77 DPR review

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Tom, the new interface is designed so that you can change many things while viewing the scene. As the controls appear in the finder the same way they do on the back of the camera, if you use Fn you do not get a screen full of info live QuickNavi as this would obscure the finder.

Instead, you get all the same functions arranged round the edge of the view, and when you select a function, the adjustments are positioned so that you don't lose your finder image. It is very fast, clear and as easy as QuickNavi but designed for the EVF. You can do everything on the A77 without moving your eye from the finder.

David
twm47099
Oligarch

Unread post by twm47099 »

David,
Thanks for the info. One of the things about EVFs that made me uncomfortable was that often when going to change something, the image would be replaced by the setting info or overlaid with semi transparent settings. The method Sony is using on the A77 seems to make more sense. And I realize that having to take my eye from the VF to make settings on the rear LCD should be (and is) just as uncomfortable, but different.

tom
lonewolf16x9
Heirophant

Unread post by lonewolf16x9 »

Firstly Hello everyone again, I used to be a member with my A900 and Zeiss glass until financial Hardship forced me to sell up, Now I have clawed my way back and after a breif spell with a Nikon I'm back to Sony and the a77. :)
I think that The Dpreview article gets a lot right, maybe a bit of Canikon Bias in there and I agree with a lot of the Net Speak that if it was a Canon it would have got a gold award!
The bottom line is they don't like the idea of 24Mp in an Apsc Camera and in reality it is a little noisier than the current competitiion but hey ho, it is by about a translucent mirrors worth, te Camera works and it works well.
They don't like EVF on SLR type Camera's but what do they expect! Sony said from the outset they would take DSLR Phorography somewhere else and they have, I'ts getting better and better and the one floating around the web for the supposed a99 will be better still.
I have quickly grown to like the EVF and put up with the few inadaquacies it has in high contrast and low light sitiuations (Blow out and the the Red Mist!) and embrace what it brings to the table. All the info you could ever need and more, I mean who doesn't want a live histogram in there! :shock: No sarcasm there by the way it's incredibly useful and I don't think I could go back to a Camera without that now. Also the loupe for focus checking is brilliant, my eysight close in is failing and I find this very useful. I've started to think of the EVF as an information display rather than a viewfinder telling me what I need to know whilst still looking at the scene in front of me, Which I soon forget is digital, I'm very suprised that it only took a week or so to get used to it because I was ready to fight it all the way! In summary I think the a77 is a terrific picture taking machine but it's different and that takes time to get used to, it comes at photography from a different angle something I think you can't really get your head around in the course of a few review shoots, I know it's challanged all my preconceptions over SLT/EVF, It'll probably be a rocky ride but I aim to see it thru because different is good and it feels right to me at least...
Lastly Hi to Magnar!
Your shots over on Dpreivew helped me enormously with my purchase the a900 a few years back and your knowledgable articles over there on the a77 are what have brought me back to Sony again. On your head mate no pressure! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheers Jules...
tri-elmar-fudd
www.exaggeratedperspectives.co.uk
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Welcome back Jules - glad you're back on sounder financial footings. Good to hear about your A77 experiences.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
lonewolf16x9
Heirophant

Birma wrote:Welcome back Jules - glad you're back on sounder financial footings. Good to hear about your A77 experiences.
Thanks!
Financial Footings are no better but I want a Camera I like! Tried a 7D (Canon) and a D7000 and could not get on with either, so I have sacrificed a little again to come back to Sony, think it'll be ok :arrow:
Cheers Jules...
tri-elmar-fudd
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

I was so busy lately, I couldn't welcome Jules.
So..... Jules, Welcome. :D

BTW, I'm getting myself used to the EVF too. It's a bit hard-ish but getting used to it gradually.
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
lonewolf16x9
Heirophant

Many thanks Dr!
The EVF is quite a thing but I feel for my neds the benefits outweigh the negatives so I'm going to stick with it, the rest of the Camera is a joy!
Cheers Jules...
tri-elmar-fudd