A77 and F42 AM flash gun functionality query

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Paul W
Acolyte

A77 and F42 AM flash gun functionality query

Unread post by Paul W »

Is there any functionality I will miss with the F42AM compared with the F43 and F53 models in terms of controlling other flashes - I have just ordered one but could return it if there are key differences in wireless control

I understand about the head rotation and power differences, but its more about running multiple flash guns and setting ratios. I might get another A42 if wireless control is all OK and just as sophisticated at the A43/A53. If not I may return it...or keep it as my secondary gun if it can be controlled fully by an F43/53

Many thanks,

Paul
Previously OM1/OM2, Konica Minolta A2
A350 and Ricoh GX100 since 2008 and and A77 since Oct 2011
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Re: A77 and F42 AM flash gun functionality query

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

The 43 acts as a a controller - the 42 does not, it is only usable as a remote. So yes there is a very big difference. The 43 is like a mini 58, the 42 is like an updated 3600.

David
Paul W
Acolyte

Unread post by Paul W »

David,

Many thanks for your confirmation. It means I will stick at the one I just bought (instead of buying another) and maybe one day acquire the 43.

The reason I will keep it is that I bought it from Curry's for just £125.60...labelled as 'used ' but arrived fully boxed and as new with a 3 month guarantee. They have multiple copies if anyone is interested. Initially I didn't see the used statement...but figure these are returns of clearance...I was just checking there is no general compatibility issue that might cause many returns. I'll report when I have a chance to test.

There are apparently more than 10 still available at http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI. ... OC:GB:1123 if anyone is interested

Cheers,

Paul

Thanks again
Paul W
Acolyte

Unread post by Paul W »

As I understand it the A43's Wireless Ratio Control makes it possible to select light emission ratios for up to three separate flash units. I guess the remaining question is can the F42 be controlled by the F43 in this way - if not I might return it.
David, do you know the answer?
If it can - the Curry's deal make this a worthwhile secondary light
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

The F42 unlike the earlier F36 and the KM legacy models can be controlled by either the F58 or F43 in three groups. One group can be your on-camera flash (CTRL1), you then have two more available (RMT1 and RMT2) which can be set to different powers.

So with one 42 remote, you can just set the on-camera flash and the remote to different powers. You can do the same with other remote flashes, using the 43 on-camera, so for a single remote wireless flash it really doesn't matter much which you own - even an old 3600HS(D) will work. But the moment you add a third flash, if all your remotes are 42, 43, or 58 you get maximum controllability in ratio settings.

David
Paul W
Acolyte

Unread post by Paul W »

Many thanks again David...