A700 with SanDisk Extreme III

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

A700 with SanDisk Extreme III

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Do not use A700 with SanDisk Extreme III 2GB Compact Flash cards as you will encounter "disc error" message or corrupted files (partly or fully). :x
I have tried 2 brand new cards with same results on both. :x
So please do remember this before making any purchase.
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Re: A700 with SanDisk Extreme III

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Hi Dr. H
I'm wondering about this a little, as there were those announcements about counterfeit Sandisk cards, how good was the packaging? did it all look original?
Greg
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

I have been using the A700 with 2GB Extreme III, Extreme IV and Ultra II (and more recently, 4GB Ducati IV) and never had any case of a card error.

There have been hundreds of thousands of fake Extreme III cards circulating in the world. They have even managed to get through to reputable retailers, as the packaging and labelling is so well forged. These cards DO produce errors (though sometimes not for the first few times they are used).

I've never known a genuine SanDisk card be anything except the most reliable choice you can make.

David
01af
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by 01af »

A similar thing happened to me, too---three years ago. Brand-new Dynax 7D, two brand-new CF cards SanDisk Extreme III 1 GB. One of the two cards failed, ten minutes after opening the box. I returned it to the dealer; the other card I still have and has been working flawlessly ever since.

This was the only case of CF card failure I ever encountered, and I lost a few important shots. The dealer told me Extreme III cards have the highest percentage of complaints and returns of all memory cards they're selling. This has shattered my confidence in SanDisk products significantly, even though the other card is fine.

-- Olaf
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Funny things happen with memory cards occasionally I've noticed, I have a 4GB Sandisk Ultra II and it transferes from the A100 (I "prefer" too just leave the memory in the camera and not continually take it in and out) with no errors (except that the occasional Raw doesn't have a thumbnail in E5 or E6) in Windows XP.
Using the same card in Vista (have Vista on another drive in the same computer) it has download glitches from the camera all the time (but that could be because the OS is using a "best guess" camera driver as I haven't installed Sony picture viewer in Vista, and Vista loves to do it's own thing), BUT, if I use the Sandisk card reader it uploades the card in no time (compared to the camera transter speed) and zero problems, go figure. :roll:
Greg
Dr. Harout

Thanks guys. I think whatever we have here are all counterfeit. :cry:
And the shop from where I bought won't refund. :evil:

Flickr
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Dr. Harout wrote:Thanks guys. I think whatever we have here are all counterfeit. :cry:
And the shop from where I bought won't refund. :evil:
They won't refund a dud card? Well you can always keep going back demanding a replacement until you get one that works...I would.
Greg
rogprov
Oligarch

Unread post by rogprov »

Here is a link to identifying fake SanDisk cards.

http://reviews.ebay.co.uk/FAKE-SanDisk- ... 0001456526
Roger
Dr. Harout

Greg Beetham wrote:They won't refund a dud card? Well you can always keep going back demanding a replacement until you get one that works...I would.
Greg
Yes you might do that in developed countries...

Flickr
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Dr. Harout wrote:
Greg Beetham wrote:They won't refund a dud card? Well you can always keep going back demanding a replacement until you get one that works...I would.
Greg
Yes you might do that in developed countries...
Mate, you have a legitimate right to get what you paid for, that's all I'm saying, and I'm sure everyone here would agree with me.
Have a look at this site that I found, it might be of some use too you.
http://www.consumer.am/categories.php?l ... 06&pid=249

Regards
Greg
david antony
Viceroy

Unread post by david antony »

Sorry to hear about your phony card purchase Doc, like some others I now buy transcend cards to try avert this counterfeit caper. I understand the poor business ethics in your part of the world.