An idea about EVF

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
aramkostanyan
Heirophant

An idea about EVF

Unread post by aramkostanyan »

As I have seen that some people complain that using EVF in the night kills night vision, so why not to have only one red color in EVF for night time uses. As red is the color that effects the night vision the least and still it would be possible to frame in the dark, where as it would not be with OVF.
So like red and black.
What do you think is it a good idea for night and astro photography?
Sony A55 + Sigma 17-70 2.8-4 HSM, SAM 55-200
Aram
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Re: An idea about EVF

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

I don’t know if it matters all that much too be honest, in astro photography there is usually a laptop involved or one is not far away so that isn’t going to do much for one’s night vision either, I have seen them with the screen set to red but it’s still fairly bright, and if it isn’t then it’s not much use.
I don’t know about regular night photography though, I think I’d still prefer a regular OVF myself than an EVF set too red. Where they have to get their game together is in the studio where the EVF is not as good as an OVF yet from user accounts.
Greg
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

Red light is used at night by the military, mostly because it's the least visible spectrum to pick up from afar. However, even a dim red light really kills good night vision.

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).
aramkostanyan
Heirophant

As I know the red light is used in astronomy, that it is the least affecting night vision.
But it would be better than nothing and better than OVF where you do not see anything.
Aram
agorabasta
Viceroy

Unread post by agorabasta »

and you can't really focus well enough while seeing it all in red only...
aramkostanyan
Heirophant

why and even with magnification?
Aram
edrice
Oligarch

Unread post by edrice »

aramkostanyan wrote:why and even with magnification?
Perhaps one could use an old small 25A red filter and wear it like a monacle and turn the EVF down to it's lowest brightness to test it out. Maybe for a lark I'll try this myself. Not that I have any real reason to...
agorabasta
Viceroy

Unread post by agorabasta »

aramkostanyan wrote:why and even with magnification?
If the 'red' stimulates only the cone vision (which would be necessary to leave the rod low-light sensitivity intact), you get no resolution from your eyes and need too much magnification to focus. And there you get too much shake in the VF while your vision in the pure cone red is also slow to refresh.

So, in most cases, you'd be getting nothing more than pure frustration with such a EVF setup.