Sony Support/Service - My opinion

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Re: Sony Support/Service - My opinion

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

Well I got the tracking information. It's sent via DPD classic rather than express delivery so I might get it Friday or next week.
Guess Sony have to save a few pennies on the courier cost ;-)

Wouldn't it be funny if this has the green line issue too! I'll know more when it turns up. I bought it about 6 months ago, it's been "away" for around 4 months or over!
What concerns me with the kid and his Cybershot is what would have happened if the TV show didn't pick this up? Probably not a lot that's my view
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Actually I think Sony was being pretty generous on that occasion (the kid’s cybershot) after all it was two years old and who knows exactly what the camera had been through in that time, how many shutter actuations, getting wet sometimes perhaps, so I do have to acknowledge Sony went the extra yard with replacing the camera even if it was with some media attention.
Of course while the media spotlight was on that situation it did present an opportunity for some pretty good PR as well (the favourable outcome story) which would have done Sony no harm at all, the cost of the camera might even have come out of marketing and promotions for all we know.
In any case it deserves a ‘well done’ for sure.
Greg
agorabasta
Viceroy

Unread post by agorabasta »

bfitzgerald wrote:Wouldn't it be funny if this has the green line issue too! I'll know more when it turns up.
Chances are, you'll have that green line there. It's most likely to be an issue with electronics design - some kind of overload in the sensels or in the preamps that shifts the voltage of the power lines on the chip.
bfitzgerald

I will have to wait and see, but I will need the camera to use it so if there is a green line issue then I will be back in touch with Sony
If my Fuji compact doesn't do it, then I don't expect a camera like this to either.

I also have to do some scouting shots for a wedding shortly, so I can take that opportunity to see if this is a problem for that type of shooting. Evidently the "green line" was fixed according to the Sony guy, at the second service and that they again replaced the main board on the camera (this is what I was told) He put a block on sending it back to me and got the order in for a new boxed one to be sent out.

I also had a forum member on DPR contact me out of frustration waiting over 3 weeks on an A99 repair and I passed on contact details to try to help that person. I don't think I'm alone in having problems with Sony, I surely hope someone deals with their support problems and quickly. The degree of frustration is beyond forum words I hope nobody else has to suffer problems with service like I have. It's a real wake up call for Sony in my view
agorabasta
Viceroy

bfitzgerald wrote:Evidently the "green line" was fixed according to the Sony guy, at the second service and that they again replaced the main board on the camera (this is what I was told)
That may mean they did some soldering, maybe adding some small parts that were not there in the original design. So the 'repaired' body might have been 'improved' somewhat. But now you get the 'original' design back...

Don't get me wrong, I hope your problems get finally sorted out. My problem is that the thing you showed in your examples seems being too much systematic rather than being some specific glitch with the particular body sample.
bfitzgerald

I really have no idea what caused the problem I asked for more information but only got that so far. I will of course look at the new body when it turns up to see if it's there. I think DK might have a better idea on this one.
mvanrheenen

Unread post by mvanrheenen »

I had to send my a580 to Sony about a year ago for the well known control wheel problem. I sent it to the retailer I bought it from and they dealt with Sony for the repair. I had my camera back in 6 weeks, which was agreed upon when the retailer sorted out the problem. In all, it took 6 weeks and 3 days, but knew from the beginning what I could expect. This time was including a full week waiting for parts. This was actually calculated in the e.t.a. the retailer gave me.

Maybe this retailer had other service agreements with Sony than you would have when you deal with Sony directly. Whichever the case, your experiences are a good example of the dark side of their service.
bfitzgerald

I got the camera today it just turned up. I can confirm it shows the same green line issue as the first body.
Suggestions on a postcard please!
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

bfitzgerald wrote:I got the camera today it just turned up. I can confirm it shows the same green line issue as the first body.
Suggestions on a postcard please!
a) Don't shoot into heavy backlighting.

b) Source a good used 580.

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).
bfitzgerald

Inside a church I might not have a choice with back lighting.
I nearly got an A580, but the reports of AF problems put me off, it is a model I'd consider purchasing s/h from the right seller.

The Sony guy phoned me again, I sent more samples. He said he would get this sorted out asap even if it means a refund or another model (I'm not sure I'm looking for a different model though) I can't surely be the only person with an SLT camera having this issue and it seems a bit unlikely that it's 2 bad samples. Any SLT users I wonder if they can get the same effect I am getting.

DSC07139.JPG
(112.81 KiB) Downloaded 2052 times
DSC07138.JPG
(177.17 KiB) Downloaded 2052 times
classiccameras
Viceroy

Unread post by classiccameras »

Second time still no joy, Jump ship!

Peter
bfitzgerald

I expect a phone call on Monday, and I will see what he says on this one. I know it's caused quite a lot of head scratching at Sony, but I'd really like to know what is going on and why it's doing this!

Jumping ship is fine but it takes time to offload your inventory and re-purchase something else. Before making such a choice I want to see what Sony can do in this situation. Which is quite bizarre, has dragged on for many months, and still without a solution as of yet. It has been a big inconvenience I won't deny that. If Sony are willing to go that extra mile and find a way to solve this which puts me at minimal inconvenience and shows some kind of willingness to make amends then I will consider that.

A simple refund is fine but that leaves me without a modern body (which was the idea in the first place) and I've no other choice than to dig around for a s/h body with that cash.

I'm not expecting an A99 with a bag of Zeiss lenses to arrive, but this has to be dealt with and in a way that shows some kind of desire to redress things here.
bfitzgerald

Quick update. I got a call on Monday from the same guy. He's sent on my samples (and some other ones) to the Sony team of experts (so I'm told) in Brussels for analysis.

Another sample that was sent on:
DSC07201.JPG
(179.98 KiB) Downloaded 1961 times
With the bank holiday coming up I'm not expecting anything to be resolved, but...at least I have the camera and it can be used for "normal shooting" this problem only seems to happen in extreme contrast situations. I am starting to think that there are only a couple of logical explanations. I've checked the serial numbers from both bodies and this new one has quite a spread number wise so it's clearly a later production A57 (sometimes stock can be a bit older than expected my Km5d was bought very late in production, but had the FBF issue)

I can only come to a few conclusions:
1: This could be a model problem (ie something that can effect all A57's)
2: It could be a production issue that causes the problem and has hit various batches of this model
3: It seems quite unlikely that it's just a few iffy bodies out there, statistically quite unlikely I would get 2 iffy ones in a row (and one failed repair one too)

This green line problem could be an issue for interior shooting, whilst I don't do a lot I have seen some green (quite mild and feint though) in some shots.

Whilst I've had a grab of a few SLT models in the past, I can't comment regarding this problem as I was not looking for it.
I have at this time no idea if A65's, A77's or even A99's (or any other models even older ones) might have a similar problem

I would ask any SLT users to check to see if this happens to them green line or not.
So far I have not managed to find any other discussions or mention of this problem on Sony Alpha products!

I will see what he says when he gets back to me, ie what their solution is.
agorabasta
Viceroy

Barry,

That has never happened with my a55, even with the sun in the frame, even after strongest tonal adjustments - never.

That is clearly the electronic design prob with a57 in general.

While you still have that a57 body, go get a used a55 and swap the mirrors in them before you return the a57. After all, that's only fair to Sony, as they consider those mirrors interchangeable at servicing. So they deserve it.

Good luck, enjoy the outcome!
bfitzgerald

I'm starting to think there might be problems with the A57 and it could be I've just noticed it and others have not. I won't really know anything now until next week. The Sony guy emailed me to say he would ring on Friday, but I got no call, best guess is early next week he will be in touch (so far he's be reliable enough calling me)

Not sure how this is going to get addressed he mentioned a refund (which is fine but leaves me with no camera!), also the possibility of another model. What model I have no idea on that I would wager something like an A65 (clearly I'm not going to accept a lower model) This leaves me with a problem if that's what is on the table. I got the A57 not because of the price (at the time I had funds to get an A77 but decided to play it safe..cough), but because I felt the low light performance was better suited to my needs.

I will have to wait and see what he says on this one. One thing is certain though, from my end I'm def not going to go for any more send it off repair attempts. I've been long enough without a camera I paid for so whilst it's not satisfactory with the green line issue, I at least have a working camera right now. The ball is with Sony now so I will see what they say. I hope to have some information about this green line problem or at least a bit more.

Speaking purely for myself considering this has dragged on since the end of January, and we're now in May and back to square one. I would hope Sony will go that extra mile to make sure that they do resolve this somehow. I can't see them admitting a problem like this exists on all A57's, that would be a floodgate flying open for returns which could be very costly. I'm just grasping here, but the odds of getting 2 duds with a big serial number spread same problem seem pretty remote to me.