The a mount is going mirrorless according to SAR

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
MarcoC
Initiate

The a mount is going mirrorless according to SAR

Unread post by MarcoC »

So, it looks like no more SLTs or DSLRs and the A mount is going mirrorless by 2014-2015. At least according to SAR.

Any thoughts?
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Re: The a mount is going mirrorless according to SAR

Unread post by bakubo »

Totally expected.
alphaomega
Viceroy

Unread post by alphaomega »

Looks to me like a bigger version of my NEX-6 with phase detection sites on the sensor and EVF. Would seem to me to be necessitated only by the number of A-mount lenses out there. If the IQ can be incorporated in the sensor despite the phase detection sites then the larger body could provide more manual control than available on the NEX-6 and presumably maintan in body image stabilisation. I don't think I would be interested. I use my A580 when I need speed of handling.
classiccameras
Viceroy

Unread post by classiccameras »

I'm hoping that the body styling will be at least a bit like a DSLR because they are so much easier to hold and operate in my view.
Mirrorless was on the cards and it was only a matter of time.
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

What remains to be seen is how well it will work and how will DSLR user respond to it? This could be Sony's big chance to leap ahead or the end of it's DSLR line.

I'm not sure with the slower PDAF that camera users are going to jump at this.

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).
classiccameras
Viceroy

Now that Sony are the largest share holder in Olympus, I wonder if there will be any cross over of technology, as long as it stayes APS-C A mount I don't mind.
artington
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by artington »

Coincidently, and apparently down to talk of a break-up, Sony's share price rose almost 12% in Tokyo last night. They have risen 92% over the last 12 months in yen terms.
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

Well bang goes your re-sale value on SLT products when this turns up next year. I think we all predicted this would happen at some point, I will say though that they will have to nail the AF and very well indeed.
I'm still not seeing any movement on this type of thing from Canikon (ie mirror less) so it makes you wonder if this is the way forward. I think Sony are hoping it is and they want to be there "first" I just don't think that on it's own it's enough of a selling point to have any impact on the top 2.
Nobody else has released an EVF type DSLR camera (ie the main DSLR makers - We'll forget the K-01 on this!) there isn't even a vague hint of anything turning up even budget end from Canikon.

The only other point to make is was there any point spending all that R&D cash on a translucent mirror that was only around for a few years anyway?
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

As far as I’m concerned the A-mount = SLR (or next best a DSLR), I don't think it = MILC, but in any case Sony will have to make sure AF remains at least as good as it is now.
I wouldn't be surprised if the A-mount was FF only from now on, and the NEX reserved for APS-C.
Greg
classiccameras
Viceroy

I can't see FF selling enough to keep Sony's imaging section solvent, although the NEX system is selling well and are reckoned to be the market leaders in that type of format, however, Micro4thirds is apparently out sell them in a world market. If Panasonic and the Olympus OM-D both mirrorless EVF cameras can claim the worlds fastest auto focus systems, then I don't see why Sony can't do the same.

Olympus finally threw in the towel on the 4thirds DSLR format because sales were not good, mostly caused by the constant negative reviews they were getting for high noise, and a format that under performed in comparison to APS-C. Sales were badly affected.
Sony have been in the same boat with SLT, may be not to the same extent as Olympus, but quite a few negative reviews of the SLT system has probably affected sales, not to mention peoples rather conservative approach with DSLR's, so some thing needs to change. I can't see them abandoning the A mount, too many A Mount users round the world to do the dirty on. They would lose to many supporters.
Atgets_Apprentice
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Atgets_Apprentice »

XG-1, XD-5, XD-7, X-500, XG1n, X300, 7000i, 700si, 800si, 500si Super, 600si, Dynax 5, KM 7D, a100, a200, a300, a580. And another 600si.....
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

I call your It's The End Of The World and raise you Eve Of Destruction. :lol:

Barry McGuire -- Eve Of Destruction -- Live Hullabaloo 1965

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwYNWYaS3bI
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

The thing is you don’t need an APS-C format camera to shoot APS-C, you can quite happily shoot it on FF with a DT lens anytime you want, or even select APS-C with a FF lens as well.

If you listen to the hype NEX’s sell like hotcakes, so the imaging section shouldn’t be in any danger if that is the case.

The problem so far with PDAF on sensor is they work great in good light but maybe not so great in iffy light, nature photographers and bird photographers work with longish lenses usually and often in not so good light so they won’t want to put up with a camera system that doesn’t have fast accurate AF in lighting conditions that leave a bit to be desired, and that also at times, warrants a flash system that works properly as well.

Maybe Sony has a breakthrough fast accurate on sensor PDAF in the works, who knows, but it will want to be as good as photographers have been accustomed to in the past and absolutely no glitches with existing expensive lenses and flashes. (does anyone here believe that will happen in Sony-land if they go off on yet another tangent?)

They won’t be able to pull a snow job too many times in a row like they have done with some SLT camera releases where they evolved backwards offering cameras that were less responsive in key areas than previous model DSLR’s.

I don’t mind at all if Sony wants to dabble with some A-mount diversion, that’s fine, what I want in the meantime (in case one of mine carks it) is a fully functional, up with the latest technology, reliable, still shooting DSLR designed for photographers, and what’s more I want it to remain compatible with existing screw drive lenses and flashes, and don’t take forever to make it Sony…capisce.
Greg
Ps 'Eve of Destruction and 'End of the World' sheesh that's a bit harsh don't you think, I did a search once to see if I could find that segment in the movie Alien where she had set the ship to self destruct but I couldn't find that section, mores the pity, damn it would come in handy at times.
alphaomega
Viceroy

Unread post by alphaomega »

Well bang goes your re-sale value on SLT products when this turns up next year. I think we all predicted this would happen at some point, I will say though that they will have to nail the AF and very well indeed.
I think it is called "trial and error" or something like that. Barry Fitzgerald has been promoting the idea that Sony should be like CAN/NIK but better and they have failed. They then came up with SLT and it failed. Their first kind of success was NEX.
I can see the logic in mirrorless if they can produce an even better EVF than what they have in A99 and solve the problem of IQ & AF with a sensor incorporating phase detection pixels.
Don't know a lot about the technicalities but one problem comes to mind with combined phase & contrast detection namely lens software. To use my 55-210 E zoom on my NEX-6 and benefit from the combined AF system the 55-210 needs a firmware update through my NEX-6. So Sony produce (hypothetically) a mirrorless A mount camera with a sensor incorporating phase detection cells. How can all the legacy A mount lenses benefit from that innovation if they cannot be updated with firmware? What's the future of such a camera if the majority of lenses cannot be updated and AF deteriorates compared with current A mount cameras? Maybe Agorabasta can come up with a solution or explanation.
Atgets_Apprentice
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Atgets_Apprentice »

To me, it makes no difference if it's APS-C, FF, SLT or Mirrorless. It's all going to hell in a handcart, as I don't want a glorified bridge camera. Sony would be as well sticking an APS-C sensor in a Cybershot superzoom, and hey presto, no more A mount, and they can move on down the NEX roadmap.
XG-1, XD-5, XD-7, X-500, XG1n, X300, 7000i, 700si, 800si, 500si Super, 600si, Dynax 5, KM 7D, a100, a200, a300, a580. And another 600si.....