a900's ad. in National Geographics

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Javelin
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Re: a900's ad. in National Geographics

Unread post by Javelin »

the people on DPR read the txt of the NG ad from the chineses site and the 2 points that stood out were that it states 100% viewfinder and 19 AF sensors with 9 in the middle cross with only one of those being F2.8. (i'm paraphrasing and I'm not really sure what that all means)
moire2
Acolyte

Unread post by moire2 »

http://piccies.clan-sy.com/a900.jpg

9 dualcross sensors in the center area, 10 single ones in the wide area, if it really is 9 of a700s middle sensor its fantastic! using center AF a700 get a higher hitrate then D3 , 1dmk3 etc etc !
KevinBarrett

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

I have to say I'm pretty surprised by the 100% viewfinder, contrary to what DK predicted. I'm glad Sony rose to the challenge. However, it is somewhat disappointing that there is no liveview mentioned, even if its not a requirement for me. It would be impossible, I'm sure, to have 100% VF coverage as well as Sony's current implementation of LV...but surely it would be possible to offer it off the main sensor? If it does not offer LV in any form, I'm afraid it will be counted against the a900 very sorely by the market in general.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
Javelin

Unread post by Javelin »

There are a few posts around that call it 5FPS too, which dovetails with DK's mention of it in the Memory stick story speculation.
tbroadley
Acolyte

Unread post by tbroadley »

I think the most interesting thing is that it has two (2) Bionz "2" processors. This would seem to imply a new Bionz processor and two of them at that (similar to the canon IdXX architecture). The importance of processing power on all of these AF points, cannot be underestimated. This implies to me improved tracking at least, not to mention moving files around.

Incidentally, the Canon 1 DS111 has also 5 fps for upto to 56 jpeg and 12 raw as a point of reference

One other thing at the top of the NG ad, it says "The benchmark for imaging leadership". I find it interesting that Sony is willing to make such a strong statment IMO . If one remembers back at PMA last spring, on one of their Billboards they had a statement like "amazing image quality". Just maybe they really believe that they have produced a camera worthy of the being called their "flagship"

I am cautiously optomistic
:) Tim
ianmiddy
Heirophant

Unread post by ianmiddy »

OK - almost everything else has been mentioned - what's "Intelligent Preview" likely to mean ???

...if I didn't know better(?) it sounds like a way to describe main-sensor liveview that adjusts [or not, as required] for light levels/white-balance etc...any other suggestions/interpretations ? - or has it already been discussed ad-nauseaum on DPR [I can't be bothered to read much over there anymore !]

Cheers

IDM
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Apparently it does not mean Live View - or so I'm told. It means an exposure made which I suspect is not saved to card, and only ends up viewed on screen. With files of this size, that would make sense. It should be possible to zoom in about 20X on this screen given the 24.6 megapixel image size. It may also mean you can apply adjustments to the preview (doing things like seeing what a white balance change, contrast or saturation change would result in). Maybe you can even adjust exposure compensation on the preview visually, and get that applied to the actual shot - or even, save the preview to card after adjusting.

I've been told that it's as good as having a Polaroid test, and compared with that. So, my assumption is not Live Preview, or they would have called it Live, but test-shot preview.

David
tbroadley
Acolyte

Unread post by tbroadley »

Ok, that is nice feature especially if you can include the histogram whihc shouldn't be too hard. I'd like that feature.
Wonder what else they have in store?

tim
ianmiddy
Heirophant

Unread post by ianmiddy »

David Kilpatrick wrote:I've been told that it's as good as having a Polaroid test, and compared with that.
Seems more and more 'studio'-oriented in design/concept - which will be welcomed by some, but not all - but maybe better not to be 'Jack-of-all-trades' , but master of a few...

IDM
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

David Kilpatrick wrote:Apparently it does not mean Live View - or so I'm told. It means an exposure made which I suspect is not saved to card, and only ends up viewed on screen. With files of this size, that would make sense. It should be possible to zoom in about 20X on this screen given the 24.6 megapixel image size. It may also mean you can apply adjustments to the preview (doing things like seeing what a white balance change, contrast or saturation change would result in). Maybe you can even adjust exposure compensation on the preview visually, and get that applied to the actual shot - or even, save the preview to card after adjusting.

I've been told that it's as good as having a Polaroid test, and compared with that. So, my assumption is not Live Preview, or they would have called it Live, but test-shot preview.

David
Hypothetically...
If the "polaroid" preview comes true, I wonder if this is the beginning of digital double exposure? Say with the camera on a tripod the next exposure could be additave - subtractive..ie. bin all the pixels that are duplicated and add/replace only the new ones that are different, and then send too memory...now that would be something new. 8)
Greg
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Nikon has had double/multi exposure for some time and many P&S digitals have image overlay functions. Nikon's can work from raw, overlay two images, control the relative densities, create a new JPEG.

David
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Oh well, something new for Sony then. :oops:
Greg
ps Nikon smart alecs.
destrian
Acolyte

Unread post by destrian »

All this sounds great. Only 2 things remain...PRICE, image quality! I dont care whats happening on the features side because (its really a pumped up 24.6 MP version of the A700 with a full frame sensor). If Sony really wants to dent the market, give us all a groundbreaking price that will force pros to adopt a sony system! It could end up the "baby hassleblad" till Canon updates to the 1Ds Mark IV.

Lets also pray for one of the most important factors... NOISE CONTROL! If Sony can pull a magic rabbit outta there butts and kill the noise up to ISO 3200 like the Nikon D3 I think people who dont have a "pro system" will be compelled to spend money on an A900 and a 24-70mm F2.8 Zeiss lens! Think of it, If you can use this camera in the studio on a big advertising job for its high MP count it is ready! You could then use it for landscape image for fine art because it has great image quality at ISO 100 and high MP count for cropping. Think of the wedding in low light at ISO 3200 and a Zeiss 135mm F1.8 or 24-70mm F2.8 Zeiss this really could tip the balances to bring Sony into a longterm position with photographers having a camera this good at a good price! If Sony has decided to keep the price low and stop the noise, I think we all will clearly say that Sony has the pound for pound best product on the market for 2009. I see NO reason that this camera should not become the hands down camera of the year (I think its just a matter of price and noise)!
Octupi
Acolyte

Unread post by Octupi »

So can David hint about the AF at all? I find it interesting that some here are believing there are a total of 19 AF points w/ 9 being cross type sensors...while on Dyxum the general consensus is that there are only 9 total selectable and still only 1 2.8 cross.

any nuggets or are we stuck waiting until the 14th? :lol:
a700 + VG, HVL 56, SAL70-200/2.8GSSM, M100/2.8M, M135/2.8, M50/1.7, M35/2, M28/2.8, M17-35 D, Tam28-75/2.8