What's in your wallet?

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
DonSchap
Initiate

What's in your wallet?

Unread post by DonSchap »

This camera will not let you off cheaply, that is for sure.

I did the quick math on this, in the USA ... and if you swallow really fast, you might not choke.

α900 camera body . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $2999.99
HVL-F58AM flash . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $499.99
VG-C90AM Vertical grip . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $349.99
NP-FM500H extra battery (for the VG grip) . . . $69.99
4-yr "Anti-drop" insurance policy . . . . . . . . . $349.00

And the sub-total is . . . . . $4268.96 ... and I know you were thinking about that new lens, too, but let's forget that for now ... this is just getting the camera together for use with ANY lens!

If you go ahead and purchase these items locally (around here), you have a 10% sales tax to tolerate ... another $426.90 and we're at an impressive price tag of -> $4695.86!

I guess Christmas just might be a little light, this year, huh? I'm sorry, but this is just a little too rich for even me. Perhaps, after 6-months, the price will begin to drop like it did with the A700. Why they didn't allow the VG-C70AM to work with this unit is beyond me. Having to buy the VG-C90AM just seems like the engineers got lazy or SONY got greedy. Anyway, if you can pony up and buy this one ... nice going. Can I ask: What stocks are you playing?
[SiC]
Imperial Ambassador

Re: What's in your wallet?

Unread post by [SiC] »

Well, my last "salary" was a whopping $580... so, no A900 for me in a while :wink:

(really looking forward to a real paycheck in about two weeks)
Sony A700, A580, Nex-5t, KM D7D & VC-7D, M Dynax 500si
KM 17-35 F2.8-4 D, M 50 F1.7 RS, M 135 F2.8, M 28-100 F3.5-5.6 D, M 100-200 F4.5, T 70-300 F4-5.6 Di USD, S 18-55 F3.5-5.6 SAM, S 18-70 F3.5-5.6
Sony hvl-f42s, Minolta 3600 HS D
Sony Z1C & Z2
Winston
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Winston »

For me it wouldn't be quite so bad.

I don't want the grip, I already have four batteries, and I get to subtract whatever I can get for my 11-18 mm as I already have a full-frame 17-35 mm. All my other lenses are full frame also.

As for the flash, that's an independent decision. For now, my ancient 360PX, in manual mode, works pretty good.
Winston Mitchell
KM7D, A700, A77, A77M2, A7M3
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

And your batteries will do 850 shots per charge on the A900, compared to 750 on the A700. How they did that with two processors and huge files, is anyone's guess - but they made the entire camera 20% lighter internally than the A700, it only weighs 850g overall with weathersealed mag alloy body - splashproof gaskets on every button...

Get out that wallet!

David
bonneville
Grand Caliph

Unread post by bonneville »

You've got it already.....haven't you David :wink:
Links to my: Flickr Blog Twitter
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

DonSchap wrote:This camera will not let you off cheaply, that is for sure.

I did the quick math on this, in the USA ... and if you swallow really fast, you might not choke.

And the sub-total is . . . . . $4268.96 ... and I know you were thinking about that new lens, too, but let's forget that for now ... this is just getting the camera together for use with ANY lens!

If you go ahead and purchase these items locally (around here), you have a 10% sales tax to tolerate ... another $426.90 and we're at an impressive price tag of -> $4695.86!

I guess Christmas just might be a little light, this year, huh? I'm sorry, but this is just a little too rich for even me. Perhaps, after 6-months, the price will begin to drop like it did with the A700. Why they didn't allow the VG-C70AM to work with this unit is beyond me. Having to buy the VG-C90AM just seems like the engineers got lazy or SONY got greedy. Anyway, if you can pony up and buy this one ... nice going. Can I ask: What stocks are you playing?
Plus 70-400 G SSM ..................... $1500 (Ok make it $1499.99)
16-35 Zeiss ............................. :roll:

Now the savings. I'll put aside one USD/day and that will make around 6000 days, doesn't it? :D
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

DonSchap wrote:This camera will not let you off cheaply, that is for sure.

I don't think Sony is targeting people thinking this way anyway. They are targeting rich amateurs, fine-art, landscape, studio photographer -event/wedding and portrait photographers can use it, but I don't think we are the main target.

I'll get that camera anyway. I had been waiting for a FF camera since ever (I love wide angles, not extreme wide angles...) and I'll get it because I know I'll be happier with this camera, even if the A700 already give me what I need (but the sensor size)

I think saying "it's too expensive" doesn't help you, nor us, for change Sony's prices. I think there will be a natural progression for less expensive FF cameras in a near future. If you can not afford it now, just wait for the next year's Christmas tree...

Regards
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Dr. Harout wrote:

Now the savings. I'll put aside one USD/day and that will make around 6000 days, doesn't it? :D
you need or you want the 70-400? You shotting sports and/or nature?
the Tamron 200-500 (a fine lens, even if not that bright) cost 800 US$: http://www.adorama.com/TM200500MAX.html
I think the 17~35 will work fine on the A900, and you can get it for about 300 US$
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

David Kilpatrick wrote:And your batteries will do 850 shots per charge on the A900, compared to 750 on the A700. How they did that with two processors and huge files, is anyone's guess - but they made the entire camera 20% lighter internally than the A700, it only weighs 850g overall with weathersealed mag alloy body - splashproof gaskets on every button...

Get out that wallet!

David
Sony is green!
They have to offer now a recycling plan for older digicam (photo and video) and we will make photography an environmental friendly activity for once!
Pako
------------
Dr. Harout

pakodominguez wrote:
Dr. Harout wrote:

you need or you want the 70-400? You shotting sports and/or nature?
the Tamron 200-500 (a fine lens, even if not that bright) cost 800 US$: http://www.adorama.com/TM200500MAX.html
I think the 17~35 will work fine on the A900, and you can get it for about 300 US$
I knew it, I knew that someone will wake me up, and that from a fellow alpha-ist :evil:

Flickr
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Dr. Harout wrote:
pakodominguez wrote: you need or you want the 70-400? You shotting sports and/or nature?
I knew it, I knew that someone will wake me up, and that from a fellow alpha-ist :evil:
Hey Doc,
do you remember that song: "we are family..."
voila!
I think that, for people who are not ready to invest 3000 on the A900, better to start investing on good glasses for the next less expensive FF camera.
Pako
------------
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Yes it's a very attractive camera, with a very nice set of features and doesn't appear too be overloaded with flimflam, the only problem is the price...might have too wait a while.
The really good thing is, with an FF cam all the FF lenses revert back too normal again...you have to like that, that APS-C 1.5X crop gets to be a pain sometimes.
David, did you happen too hear anything on the 24-105 f4 G SSM ?
Greg
Winston
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Winston »

David Kilpatrick wrote:And your batteries will do 850 shots per charge on the A900, compared to 750 on the A700. How they did that with two processors and huge files, is anyone's guess - but they made the entire camera 20% lighter internally than the A700, it only weighs 850g overall with weathersealed mag alloy body - splashproof gaskets on every button...

Get out that wallet!

David
Please stop! :mrgreen:
Winston Mitchell
KM7D, A700, A77, A77M2, A7M3
Dr. Harout

Not counting all the pain in the... ehem... (place you sit) when your wife finds out about the calculation you're doing :lol:

Flickr
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

Get out that wallet!

David
Not sure how they squeezed the batteries more thoroughly, but the weight could be due to more extensive use of magnesium alloy.

Anyway, sure, I could put all this on the Visa...and be condemned to a lifetime of debt and loath the camera for it every time I look through the viewfinder.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --