Will there really be an A99ii

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Re: Will there really be an A99ii

Unread post by bakubo »

classiccameras wrote:Minolta or similar Japanese company should re form, Sony then sell the A mount side of their business to this company for a more dedicated brand which is crying out for a better range of bodies, and Sony can then stick to E mount and compacts
Yes, that would be nice. Several weeks ago there were a couple of posts about that:

http://www.photoclubalpha.com/forum/vie ... 728#p95400

http://www.photoclubalpha.com/forum/vie ... 728#p95401
classiccameras
Viceroy

Unread post by classiccameras »

To us users it might seem like a logical step but then when is Sony ever logical!
alphaomega
Viceroy

Unread post by alphaomega »

Would be a retrograde step. Sony have all the technology they could swap from e-mount cameras to A-mount and vice versa. The issue with A-mount is that the money is in FE-mount just now and whatever A-mount Sony pops up with will have little chance against CAN/NIK in terms of generating billions of Yens. Personally I think there will be an A99II with the latest Sony technology and the 42Mp sensor to keep the small band of professional A-mount users "on board". Doubt the A58 will be replaced any time soon. Frankly I laugh when I see all the petite oriental ladies visiting Edinburgh with their Canon or Nikon DSLR with the kit lens when they would be much better off with an RX100M3.
alphaomega
Viceroy

Unread post by alphaomega »

Just as I announced above that there will not be a successor to A58, SAR announces as SR4
http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr4-sony ... r-already/
Not sure why Sony would go for a A65 replacement. As I understood it this model did not do too well. Having put out an A77II, perhaps they thought that the A58 segment has gone forever but a new model below the A77II might sell. So maybe the A-mount offering in future would then consist of A68, A77II and A99II. Might make some sense (if Sony are not greedy on price), because in my humble opinion A58 type users should go for E-mount.
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

Be careful on this one Sony's naming strategy is a bit off the A58 was more an A3 series than an A5x one. This might not be similar to the A65 (price suggested $600) which seems more entry level than upper entry. But we shall see let's hope it's not another plastic fantastic A58 type body with a new name badge hard to say specs seem to suggest a more affordable A77II minus obvious stuff I assume like MFA and the better build and no doubt a more modest buffer. I don't have a problem with that so long as it's half decent build wise.

There is nothing wrong with a lower priced crop body in fact I see it as a logical move though I suspect some want a FF one you can't have a system without more affordable bodies the fact it's a cheaper body (subject to not being a turkey) is more encouraging for A mount longer term. A FF body will likely turn up next year possibly early on.
the_hefay
Viceroy

Unread post by the_hefay »

From sonyalpaharumors.com posted January 4th.

But the good news is that the same sources who were right on the Batis and RX1rII rumors also told us the A99 successor and A6100 are finally coming as next (shipment within March).
CHOLLY
Oligarch

Unread post by CHOLLY »

It's coming..... ;)
sury

Unread post by sury »

There goes my A7RM2 acquisition plan...... :D
Minimize avoidable sufferings - Sir Karl Popper
peterottaway
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by peterottaway »

Interesting but I must admit to being more interested in if there is an A77 replacement. I've already got the A7r II !

It's like all those drooling over the D5 frankly if I was going to send that sort of money for a piece of bling I would be buying a Pentax 645z instead. Or perhaps that should be the Pentax 645z II ?
mikeriach
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by mikeriach »

Yeah I thought the Canon 7DII was expensive till th D500 arrived at £1729 for a crop sensor.
You could buy a full frame D750 for less and even a grey import D810 for less.
It must be able to take the photos by thought control.

Mike
All my Sony SLT gear gone. Still got my RX100 though.
CHOLLY
Oligarch

Unread post by CHOLLY »

It's here and it's a SERIOUS camera!!
mikeriach
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by mikeriach »

It is!
I need to mull it over but gut feeling is not for me at that price. Mind you the 5D4 pricing is outrageous, for once Sony can legitimately laugh.
All my Sony SLT gear gone. Still got my RX100 though.
bfitzgerald

Canon can afford to price the 5dmkIV at that price so it does not shock me at all. It is outrageous but then pricing hasn't exactly been going down on cameras. They have enough users willing to pony up the cash. Mind you I tried the MkIII and didn't see what all the fussy was about nice enough update v the old II nothing mind blowing really.
classiccameras
Viceroy

Unread post by classiccameras »

Is the new 99ii really aimed at the professional market, if so, they will struggle against Canikon, who are well established globally in that market, I cannot see Pros trading in whole systems worth thousands to go over to Sony. I guess its aimed possibly at existing A mount users, new pros to the business and high end enthusiasts
bfitzgerald

I quite agree which is why I said ages ago that you have to have a range of models for different buyers (and do a bit of work on the system overall). There is a huge gap from the A77II to A99II more than most will stomach unless you already have the A99 and deep pockets. Sony really need an entry FF body quite badly but said the same with the A99 and they priced that at a higher level.