A77II review finally turns up

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
TheOldHobbit
Acolyte

Re: A77II review finally turns up

Unread post by TheOldHobbit »

Its a Samsung Note4, so fairly up to date in regards software. No worries, I have ordered a 3rd party wireless shutter release and hope to have better success with that. Thank you for your reply.
TheOldHobbit
Acolyte

One other question for those more experienced than me. I have tried a burst shot to see not just how it looks but bizarrely how it sounds as well. One thing that I did notice was that the first picture of the burst was held in the EVF so I lost live view on the subject. Had this been for example a motor sport venue or an air show, I would have real problems tracking the subject during the burst. Is there a way to stop the first frame buffering in the EVF. Sorry if this seems obvious but I am a little confused by this.
mikeriach
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by mikeriach »

I don't use the burst mode only continuous Hi.
Make sure you set image review to off as it does similar thing in that mode.
All my Sony SLT gear gone. Still got my RX100 though.
the_hefay
Viceroy

Unread post by the_hefay »

Like Mike said, turn off auto review. In the menu, it's the second tab, first page, bottom option. I only know that because I always turn it off for doing timelapse to keep from interfering with intervals and delays and also because I'm sure it saves battery power.
TheOldHobbit
Acolyte

Thank you for you help, I will have a look at the menu settings and see how the changes effect the viewfinder. Thanks
TheOldHobbit
Acolyte

Job done, simple when you know how..... Thank you for your advice, works a treat.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Still waiting for the price to fall - and for a separate GPS to be introduced by Sony!
TheOldHobbit
Acolyte

Hi David. The camera, at today's price, was a prezzie from my nearest and dearest and comes Birthday, Fathers Day and probably xmas all wrapped up in one. I know it will no doubt come down in price and more than likely have the updates you want on it, but as someone who has never had GPS I don't really miss it. This body is a huge step up from my old trusty a450 and I am chuffed to bits to have it. I hope it has more than enough room for me to grow into it and I am really happy and pleased with it.
mikeriach
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by mikeriach »

I borrowed a Nikon D7000 (16MP) from one friend, a new style Nikon 80-400 from another and a A77II to go with my 70-400G.
Took a variety of shots trying to shoot the same image on both systems. I have to be honest and say the Sony pairing edged it.
Perhaps a little unfair as I couldn't find anyone with a D7100 or D7200 to match the sensor.
The Sony pair had less CA and better sharpness and detail.
Strangely the Nikon was often underexposing (as mentioned by the owner) where many owners suggest they often overexpose slightly.

Also I wasn't convinced that the VR was significantly better or worse than the SSS. Blurry shots on the Sony were usually also blurry on the Nikon at all focal lengths.

The Nikon lens handled better (smoother zoom action) yet didn't feel as solid (more plasticy compared to the G metal).
I liked the D7000 controls (less button pushng and menu diving) but the A77II felt better in the hand.

Pity I only had a couple of hours to play with them all.

Mike
All my Sony SLT gear gone. Still got my RX100 though.
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

mikeriach wrote:I borrowed a Nikon D7000 (16MP) from one friend, a new style Nikon 80-400 from another and a A77II to go with my 70-400G.
Took a variety of shots trying to shoot the same image on both systems. I have to be honest and say the Sony pairing edged it.
Perhaps a little unfair as I couldn't find anyone with a D7100 or D7200 to match the sensor.
The Sony pair had less CA and better sharpness and detail.
Strangely the Nikon was often underexposing (as mentioned by the owner) where many owners suggest they often overexpose slightly.

Also I wasn't convinced that the VR was significantly better or worse than the SSS. Blurry shots on the Sony were usually also blurry on the Nikon at all focal lengths.

The Nikon lens handled better (smoother zoom action) yet didn't feel as solid (more plasticy compared to the G metal).
I liked the D7000 controls (less button pushng and menu diving) but the A77II felt better in the hand.

Pity I only had a couple of hours to play with them all.

Mike

Metering on the D7k is very sensitive to what's under the AF point sometimes it's fine other times it's over or under the overexposure happens quite a bit when darker subjects like blacks are under the AF point scenic shots were almost always overexposed. I found the cont AF pretty good it was the single AF that drove me nuts all over the place, but I did like the body grip not as comfy as Sony but the controls are fine, build is decent and dual cards nice. Flash also a strong point consistent most of the time.

Not used that lens can't comment on that Nikon do have decent lenses