If there is no A99II where do you go?

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Re: If there is no A99II where do you go?

Unread post by bakubo »

Just imagine how much more comfortable it would be if both Sony and Minolta were supporting the A-mount. An electronics company and a camera company. Both making lenses, bodies, flashes, etc. In addition to Sigma, Tamron, Tokina, etc. making stuff. Of course, that is a pipe dream since I doubt Minolta would get back into this market.
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

With on sensor phase-detect AF so good already I think that SLT is dead. I therefore don't think we'll see an A99II SLT. A99II 'mirror-less'? Well, maybe.

My wish list would be for an A9 model, bit chunkier than the A7 range so we have bigger controls, dual card slots, flippy-flappy rear screen, and bigger battery etc. Slap on an adapter for A mount and we're good to go. Why not stick an adapter in the box for free (while I'm wishing!). I suspect the downside would be that the starting RRP for an A9 would be eye-watering.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
Edward
Acolyte

Unread post by Edward »

Thanks for the comments guys. I'll wait and see if sony cares about us enough to listen.
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

Henry, with the tech we have today, there is no reason that a company can't supply a basic DSLR with a modular mount. We have adapters for just about every AF mount to either m4/3 or E-mount (with AF), and every conceivable MF mount, so we know it can be done from an engineering standpoint. I'm not talking adapters per se, a semi-permanent (but changeable) bolted on mount.

Image being able to buy your favorite camera - be it A99 or D810 - and specify "I want that in a Canon mount." Then, when you want to give it to your brother-in-law who has Pentax, he would just take it to a camera shop where a new would be installed and maybe firmware updated. Modern PLCs make that fairly easy.

The problem is, all of our current camera companies - except the 4/3 group - are too much into selling lenses and system accessories. I have seen a Kodak DSLR in Nikon FA mount, but no of no one outside of the 4/3 group that make anything except their own mounts.

For such a camera to go over well, you would probably have to have a modular flash shoe as well.

Such a thing would surely be disruptive, but I think would go over well. I could then but a new Pentax FF that's coming out for under $1000 with Alpha mount and not have to lose IBIS or sell off present equipment to get what I want - a new OFV DSLR with IBIS in Alpha mount.

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).