Here is the new Sony A68

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
alphaomega
Viceroy

Here is the new Sony A68

Unread post by alphaomega »

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/announce ... -4d-focus/
http://www.dpreview.com/articles/073633 ... -af-module
Uncompromising features and performance for demanding amateur photographers
•4D FOCUS for fast, accurate tracking autofocus with world’s highest number of 79 AF points
•Translucent Mirror Technology™ delivers constant AF tracking at up to 8fps[ii] continuous shooting
•24MP[iii] APS-C Exmor™ CMOS image sensor delivers wide ISO 100-25600[iv] sensitivity range
•BIONZ X™ image processing engine enables the capture of high-quality images
•Precise OLED Tru-Finder™, tillable LCD monitor, top display panel and custom controls
•SteadyShot™ INSIDE works with all 34 A-mount lenses
•Full HD video with high bit-rate 50Mbps XAVC S[v] format

Looks like all this fancy stuff has been "stuffed" into an A58 body complete with 2.7 inch rear screen. Imagine that - 2.7 inch rear screen. Might be competitive at US$ 600 if they keep the price below £500 here in UK. Not for me though. Just bought an A6000 body with £50 back from Sony. Barry might approve of the specs if it has a metal plate for lens mounting. I have no doubt the image quality will be v. acceptable combined with fast focusing and high ISO.
Still can't get over Sony using that 2.7 rear screen from A58. Why not 3"? Baffling. Just find 2.7" too small on my A58.
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Re: Here is the new Sony A68

Unread post by pakodominguez »

alphaomega wrote: Still can't get over Sony using that 2.7 rear screen from A58. Why not 3"? Baffling. Just find 2.7" too small on my A58.
I haven't check all the aspects of this new camera. I can only imagine the body size, small, fit better a 2.7 screen.

I find no interest on this camera, other than the "4D" (...) AF, if it works. Sony say it will be available by march 2016, by that time, the A77II will be less expensive ;-)
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

I just saw a photo of the back of the camera. Plenty of space for a bigger LCD. Lots of body space all around the 2.7" LCD. Clearly a way to save a nickel or a dime.
mikeriach
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by mikeriach »

Huge disappointment for me as the rumoured body turned out NOT to be an A99 update.

It continues the A mount line but certainly doesn't advance the product line. I can manage without the larger screen as I do most of my reviewing in the EVF (would need to wear reading glasses to use the rear screen). It looks like a stripped out A77 so no benefit to me. Losing the EVF is actually one of the drawbacks of a potential move to Canikon for me, I need to get some cheap reading glasses for the camera bag but easily solved if inconvenient.

In a one word summary, "underwhelming".
All my Sony SLT gear gone. Still got my RX100 though.
peterottaway
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by peterottaway »

Will need to wait a while to see the quality of the sensor and assorted bits and pieces. But it does give the appearance of being assembled simply from the spare parts bin as the development teams are elsewhere.

And that is the question. What have they been doing ?

It may be that there are revamps of all the non A7 lines and they have been largely finished for sometime.But the A7 series has demanded most of the development and production resources.
classiccameras
Viceroy

Unread post by classiccameras »

The only good news is its an 'A' mount which we all thought was dead and buried, They seemed to have pitched this model at the mid range section, I won't be buying it, but if a more sensible and affordable 57 Mk 2 came out it might get my attention. Mike, Sony keep underwhelming us on every new launch. I must admit now I have a EVF for several years, going back to an OVF would make life more difficult.
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

Well what a let down it's an A58MkII with a beefed up AF system and not a lot else

Same low res small rear LCD, same smaller VF, same plastic lens mount
They just shoved an LCD on top, locking dial with custom settings and more pixels plus more AF points none of which are high up my list of must haves no info on the buffer as yet it would want to be much better than the A58

It's an A38II no 6 series model would ever be such a spec. The wait for an A57MkII carries on seems Sony just doesn't learn much when it comes to cameras. I have 0 interest in such a model unless it's stupidly low priced (ie under £300) even then I'd not be falling over myself to get hold of it
mikeriach
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by mikeriach »

Somewhat agree, I've got so used to the EVF I'd actually miss it.
It's great in dark surroundings even if it is a tad noisy.
I'd need to get reading glasses for sure to review images on the rear screen :)
All my Sony SLT gear gone. Still got my RX100 though.
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Well, it is A mount :/

Sony continue to be unpredictable. Reminds me of the A450!
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Birma wrote:Well, it is A mount :/

Sony continue to be unpredictable. Reminds me of the A450!
As you say, at least it is an A-mount camera. I suspect Sony still is rather undecided about the future of the mount. Until they decide they probably feel like they need to throw an occasional bone out though to try to keep a bit of hope up among customers and maybe prevent too many people from defecting. I doubt the A-mount will disappear because that is just leaving too much business on the table. Lots and lots of A-mount lenses out there. The adapter for the mirrorless bodies is one solution, especially if they could make it even more svelte. I know some people want to stay with an OVF, but how long has it been since there was a an OVF A-mount body? Wasn't the last one the era of the A900/A850/A700?

Years back there were a few manual focus 35mm SLRs made by companies such as Cosina, Tokina, and maybe some Chinese companies that used the Nikon and Pentax mounts. I suppose they had to license the use of it? Maybe or maybe they just did it. After all, doesn't Sigma not license anything and just makes AF lenses for Canon, Nikon, etc. by reverse engineering? I guess if Sony leaves A-mount lens owners in the lurch someone might step up and try to scoop some up by making a body.
bfitzgerald

A450 was odd bit of a mix of cameras at a time when Sony had too many models and not enough real differences between them.
I'm surprised they have gone for an A77 style body larger and shoved a NEX control dial on the back maybe it will work OK

Have to say I'm fairly underwhelmed if it's as cheaply made as the A58 then that will be a real shame (that made the A57 feel like a pro level body almost nasty cheap smooth plastics)

My camera choice would have been to go for an A57 MkII sauce up the AF system and put AF fine tune in there don't need 79 AF points (39 would be fine) decent buffer more important. Oh well as said something is probably better than nothing at all
CHOLLY
Oligarch

Unread post by CHOLLY »

If Sony were planning to kill off the A mount, why would it update all it's A mount lenses?
peterottaway
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by peterottaway »

The lens updates have probably been planned for sometime. Even if Sony does has since decided to abandon the A mount they will still be usable with an adapter.

But one low end camera refresh given that the A77 II and the A99 are out of stock or in limited supply does not make a lot of sense. Why bother unless you are going to update the medium to high end cameras. A manufacturer can make some money from cameras such as the A77 and A99 even if the A68 is basically lost in a crowd.

The A7r II is a decent size and weight for me but I have kept my A77 to help out where it struggles. But that is not to say that an up market camera or the A7r III in a couple of years time won't change that. From even my limited experience with the A7r II, I think that articles such as in DPR are somewhat oversold as a combination of the II with the 70-200 / 4.0 is usable in many circumstances. Especially given the quality at EI 800 to 1600.

I have strayed off course somewhat but cameras such as the A77 are still definitely easier to get results with.
bfitzgerald

Whilst I'm not a fan of what's on offer (maybe they found it cheaper to re-use the A77 mould for production costs!) it is at least somewhat encouraging that they have an entry model updated the A58 wasn't particularly exciting though I would have hoped they would have abandoned the smaller low res back LCD. You have to have an entry model of some description so something is better than nothing

It does give more hope that A mount will continue though they do need to do more on this (lenses and another FF body)
It will be interesting to see what the buffer is on this camera and if it takes the A77 grip (body size is the same) I would expect the price to drop quite sharply it's not a model I'd pay £500 for (at a really low price it might grab some attention possibly) you'd be far better off just to pony up the extra cash for the A77II which will no doubt drop in price even more. Not that I'm short on cameras I really don't need any more thought I've been doing some more video stuff so I might consider one next year.
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

bakubo wrote:...............
I know some people want to stay with an OVF, but how long has it been since there was a an OVF A-mount body? Wasn't the last one the era of the A900/A850/A700?
It was the A580, which I eventually acquired used. Came out at the same time as the a 57, but didn't have the GPS, which really ticked me off! Other than that, a very acceptable model.

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).