Sony A77M2 - Help/Pointers requested

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
sury
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Re: Sony A77M2 - Help/Pointers requested

Unread post by sury »

Another learning moment for me. The auto iso setting is compensating for the exposure meter not budging.
Once I set the ISO to 200, and change the SS/Aper I see the needle moving appropriately. I thing auto ISO
with M combination is what causing the inaccurate display. When I did Aper priroty and auto ISO it was accurate
and when I did M with ISO set to 200 and took the shot it was also accurate enough.
I am impressed with Stabilization - at 0.4"' and 0.6" the images did not show blur and the ISO at 3200 barely had
noise. I am a happy camper now that I have a plausible explanation for my situation.

Sury
Minimize avoidable sufferings - Sir Karl Popper
peterottaway
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by peterottaway »

Unless you just put the camera on P, the modern cameras are pretty complex beasties especially when trying to get used to the menu structure.

There was an interview with a Sony manager a few weeks ago where he was asked about some of the ways the menus were and how you couldn't do certain things. His answer was on the lines that the camera development team had a Mind of its own when deciding where to put certain items.

I think things could be improved if they called in Victor Frankenstein to consult about that problem.
sury

Unread post by sury »

Agree. They have become very complex indeed. As for menus, I wish they added one more custom key (there is room on menu) for adding Eye AF. I replaced smart telecon with Eye AF (since I don't have any smart Telecons) and if Eye AF is available through custom keys only, why not make that a default as well. Oh, well, the user interface is something that never can be satisfactory to all.
Now for some real shooting. Now that I am done with experimenting. Learn, shoot, learn - life goes on. :D

Sury
UrsaMajor
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by UrsaMajor »

Out of curiosity, what was your source for the A77II at such an attractive price?

Although I am primarily using my NEX-6 and A6000 these days, I just gave my A700 to my son-in-law as a replacement for his A700 after its mirror came off and the repair quote was a bit high. I have been tempted to replace it with an A77II for the image stabilization, but keep telling myself that the cost/benefit ratio is not attractive enough - even though the A77II price has almost reached the point where my "will" power can overcome my "won't" power.

- Tom -
sury

Unread post by sury »

Tom,
My wife's college mate's wife's sister is a Sony employee and they have employee discount over the sale price.
There is a limitation too. You cannot return the camera once purchased. If it is defective you can take it to Sony
store and have it replaced. Other than that all warranties etc apply as if it is store bought.

Based on couple of hundred clicks I had so far, mostly experimenting with settings and features, I regret not
buying the camera sooner. As fine a machine as 700 is, the low light capability is order(s) of magnitude above
A700. I certainly am finding battery drain lot faster than any of my previous A series. Since it is the same battery
as it is for A700/900 and it has better stabilization, EVF and that 12FPS burst eat into battery. Between the three bodies
I have enough of them to tide me over a day shooting while traveling. I took 0.4'', 0.6" shots at 70mm hand held with
no blur and ISO3200 keeper shots. Neither could be achieved with A700.
mikeriach
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by mikeriach »

I'm fairly sure that you can't use Auto ISO on M. I think it only works on P,A,S.
To me M is where I'd want it to be working. I choose the DOF (aperture) and the minimum shutter speed I want and it chooses the ISO but I don't think it allows this.

Mike
All my Sony SLT gear gone. Still got my RX100 though.
sury

Unread post by sury »

Mike,
What happens to ISO value? Let's say I am in autoISO and Pmode and then change to M.
What would be the value of ISO at that point? I will test it out tonight.

Sury
mikeriach
Imperial Ambassador

Just checked my Mk1 body.
In P mode set to AutoISO
Switch to M mode and it defaulted to ISO100.
Then whilst in M, I changed to ISO200 then back to P.
It returned to AutoISO.
Again changed to M and it defaulted to ISO100 again. Thought it might resort to last used M ISO but no.

Now switched to the Mk2 body.
In all modes PASM it shows AutoISO.
The problem will probably be the limits set for the min and max ISO. If you set the range too narrow then the camera has no latitude to adjust maybe only a couple of stops.

Hope this helps.

Mike
sury

Unread post by sury »

Mike,
Thank you. I did find the same as you did with Mk2. So that is consistent. Let me check what range I put for Iso.
I do remember reading somewhere the range is smaller in manual ISO setting compared to auto. I don't remember
tinkering with it, so it should be whatever the default setting is set. Once again, thank you for confirming the behavior.

Sury
mikeriach
Imperial Ambassador

I very rarely use AutoISO but have the Mk1 set along with P for the wife to use.
Saves a lot of "fiddling" which she hates.

I usually shoot in A at between f5.6 and f11 depending on the lens and pick an ISO to give me a suitable shutter speed. Default is ISO200 then adjust from there to suit the light.
Other friends on Canikon use S and set the shutter speed to suit with fixed ISO to give aperture.
Just depends on your shooting style I suppose.

Mike
sury

Unread post by sury »

Indeed. I am all over the map when it comes to A, and S since I have no idea what my style is, what I prefer.
I have not gotten out of my identity crisis. :lol: Usually I am shoot at what is accepted as base ISO and 400
if I am using flash. The AutoISO or high ISO is primarily for those low light shootings (dinner at house where
flash is distracting or inside a church or it is too dark etc). My recent query was due to experimentation and
finding out the envelope of the camera and the limits so that I do not go beyond.

Sury
mikeriach
Imperial Ambassador

Your default "out of the bag" settings will be determined by the kind of shooting you expect to do.
Since my primary mode is aviation the A99 is usually sat in the bag with the 70-400G fitted. It will be on RAW, centre local focus group, continuous Hi, A, ISO 200 and f8. When I go to the local airport and pull it out, it is ready to shoot straight away. If the weather is cloudy then it's up to ISO320 or 400 and down to f6.3 where it is still very good. If I have the A77II in the bag it will also be set to the same as above.

The A77 usually has the 16-300 Tamron fitted as my wife often uses it. Totally different as it is a grab and go for walks and short trips out. RAW+JPG, wide AF, single shot, P, AutoISO and also AutoDRO. It's easy for her to use but if I am going to use it I change to A and f9. It's quite a good combo for day trips where I have no specific objectives.

If I am planning to do a certain shoot then I may reset to suit the conditions I expect on the day and it will have the appropriate lens fitted ready to go.

I don't think I'm particularly organised but I have missed key aircraft shots because I got there and then had to fiddle with the settings and change the lens. For many airfields, the 70-400G on the full frame is ideal. Sometimes I may use the 70-200G on the A77II or A99 if the light is poor and I don't need the range. Some places need more than 400mm so then the A77II substitutes for the A99 but I find a higher percentage of lost shots due to shake. I'd love to try out a D750 and Sigma 150-600 :) Maybe one day.
sury

Unread post by sury »

I have both Tamron 200-500 and Sony 70-400G Gen I and had no issues on either. I am looking forward to some BIF with 77II and 70-400G and Tammy 200-500 one of these days when weather clears up (I hope not too soon - we need all the rain we can get).
Let's put it this way I got both A700 and A900 couple of days apart. A900 has 65K+ clicks and A700 has around 20K or less. I am enjoying the A77II and I do have Sony 18-200 and Tamron 18-300? and Sigma 70-300 DG and few other.
Either I buy a UW lens or take A900 is what the inference is, based on the inputs I got so far.

Sury
peterottaway
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by peterottaway »

All this debate is exactly why I bought the RX10 at one end and the A7r and then the A7rII at the other.

I would have a number options depending on what bulk I wanted to take.

1. Just the RX10
2. RX10 and A7rII with Contax G 21.28 and 90 lenses.
3. A7rII with 16-35.24-70 and 70-200 and switch formats between APS and FF.
4. A7rII with Tokina 11-16 and Sony 16-70, with or without 70-200 or 70-300.

If I threw in the MD adapter I could add the Minolta 28 and 250 Cat lens and not add a lot more weight. And if I wanted to go alternative some more I could use my Minolta 28-135 zoom as my only FF lens, although in good condition I wouldn't want to spend the money and the lens to go and retire on me.
ValeryD
Viceroy

Unread post by ValeryD »

peterottaway wrote:All this debate is exactly why I bought the RX10 at one end and the A7r and then the A7rII at the other.

I .....
It's a very good camera a7 and RX. :) But! We have conversation in this topic about a77M2 not a7m2. :lol:

PS. Sury, were a pictures from new a77M2 camera? :wink:
Everything in the life unusual!