Sony A77M2 - Help/Pointers requested

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
sury
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Re: Sony A77M2 - Help/Pointers requested

Unread post by sury »

peterottaway wrote:Sury, as someone who has been well past the point of imperfection for many years don't take it bad. I call it character :D . I would offer the suggestion that the A850/A900 remains a good portrait camera and not simply because it is OVF to revisit an old argument :mrgreen:

When the A77 II came out, I didn't see much point in buying it as I was satisfied with the original A77. However time has gone by and there is uncertainty about the A mount and I have just purchased the A77 II myself to ensure that I have what I think I need. Even if Sony come out with an A9 which improves on/ replaces the A7rII I don't think the price / performance would work for me in comparison with what the A77 II offers now in combination with my current A7r II.
Your point well made and received. I have no desire to "retire" A900. It will be replaced when it dies. Having said that If A99II is announced, I would consider it but would rush to get one. That is why I never went for 850 or 99. I could have had a brand new A99 for $1.5K. A7RII is still in my sight if not for anything, the form factor and the MP. I know, I know MP is not everything.... :D

From what I gather the A77II is going to keep me busy for a while to experience all the bell and whistles. Now where is that darned package? Is it shipped yet? :lol:
Minimize avoidable sufferings - Sir Karl Popper
the_hefay
Viceroy

Unread post by the_hefay »

sury wrote:Now where is that darned package? Is it shipped yet? :lol:
Sury, due to increased terrorist activity, all packages headed to CA during the month of December are being processed at the border. Specifically mentioned in the news release were most of the newer digital cameras. They will be subjected to no less than 2 weeks of hands on usage. However, they do guarantee that you will have it in time for Valentine's Day.
sury

Unread post by sury »

For a minute I fell for it, Jeff. :evil: :lol:
the_hefay
Viceroy

;)
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Congrats on the new camera Sury - I'm sure you'll have bags of fun with it. Looks like you've got tons of good advice. Looking forward to those action pictures :)
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
sury

Unread post by sury »

Thank you every one for the input/advise/suggestion galore. The camera came Thursday and my son "forgot" to tell
me about it. It was too late to tinker with on Thursday and most of yesterday was spent with family celebrating my
28th Wedding anniversary. Starting playing around with the camera since last night. Enjoying the low light capability
and it is a night and day difference (no pun intended) compared to A700.

The EVF takes some getting used to, and as of now, I am giving it the benefit of doubt that my experience will get better.
Honestly, it took me back to my Dimage A5/A8 days. Since I was used to seeing the preview on the lcd, I need to make sure
the LCD is flipped out. I have not uploaded any images to my computer yet, having lot of fun clicking away. So far, I have
tried it with CZ24-70 and CZ135.

I am going to try some old MD lenses as well and see if I am getting better results (per Valery's suggestion).
Most importantly the camera is NOT sitting on the shelf. Now I need to get to the local park for those BIF
and see how well I do.

One thing that I did not realize at the time of purchase (entirely my oversight) is the flash compatibility or lack thereof,
with HVL58-AM and HVL20-AM that I already have. I was somewhat depressed that I need to shell out almost the equivalent
of the camera for HVL60M or about $150 for HVL20M. Then I found out about the ADP-MAA adapter and though realized too
late that there are cheaper Meike/Travor alternatives, the Sony ADP-MAA arrived yesterday and seem to work with my HVL58-AM.
That made me a happy camper since I can use the flashes with both old A100/700/900 and the A77M2.

For some inexplicable reason, my daughter took liking to the camera. Perhaps the flip the LCD enabling a selfie, perhaps
good images in the low light that she tried... I do not know the reason but I have seen her pick up the camera and take
few shots, which any of my family members seldom do. One regret though is I should have bought this one sooner. :lol:

Once again, thank you for all the input. Much appreciated.

With best regards,
Sury
peterottaway
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by peterottaway »

Sury you have been using the A900 with the OVF and any EVF js going to be difficult to adapt to, as long as you keep using both cameras in the immediate future. My suggestion is to park the A900 for a while and use just the A77 until you are comfortable with it.
sury

Unread post by sury »

Since I plan to take this one to my upcoming trip to Machu Pichu, my intent is to get as much familiar with the camera as possible.
Based on your suggestion, Peter, my A700/900 are going to be tabled for a while and practice, practice and practice on the new toy.
That is an excellent point. It was not a put off at all and after about 100+ clicks between last night and now, I am getting used to the
level and other display elements already. Certainly I need to get used to EVF being the indicator of exposure rathr than the marker I
used to refer to in OVF.

Sury
the_hefay
Viceroy

One of my favorite things with the EVF is being able to digitally zoom on the subject for manual focusing. With my a580 it was only with the rear LCD.

The other thing I like is using it for reviewing photos and changing menu settings. My LCD panel is rarely flipped around for use, so I never worry about it getting scratched in the bag or anywhere else for that matter.

Anyways, I'm happy to hear they let the camera into California without too much delay. ;)
sury

Unread post by sury »

Oh, sush, Jeff. I can't believe I fell for that. :oops: :evil:

Also, does any one have an idea why the images are underexposed but the preview shows them properly?
It is almost like I need to overexpose based on preview or I need to adjust the EVF settings for brightness etc.

Sury
sury

Unread post by sury »

I wanted to clarify that the the photos are low light without flash and they are keepers.
It is just the difference in how it is displayed in the EVF and the final picture. I am very
impressed with the image stabilization.

Sury
peterottaway
Imperial Ambassador

A trap for new players.

The EVF will automatically amplify the images for better viewing under dim lighting conditions. The default menu setting is Auto and so it will change to give you a good idea of what the picture will be and not the exposure. The menu will allow you to set Viewfinder screen brightness so you can change to manual adjustment plus or minus 2 or to Sunny Weather when your image can be washed out.
sury

Unread post by sury »

And I find that very useful as I adjust and the zebra and the level. Fantastic aids.
What I am finding is when I preview using EVF versus when the image is uploaded
to the computer, the images on the compute have more "underexposed" feel to them.
If I knew they were that "underexposed" I would have done something to correct it.

So my problem is as follows: EVF adjusts to lighting conditions, I adjust shutter/aperture
based on EVF,I take shot, the preview shows same as prior to click. I am happy.
Upload the image to computer, image is darker.
If it is adjusting viewfinder, so be it, if it is overexposing to compensate,
so be it, but I want to know which way or a combination thereof, to go.
I am (re)learning the adjustments required to make and do not want to come
across as whiner
peterottaway
Imperial Ambassador

I don't take a lot of shots in dim light - I'm dim enough thank you. :twisted:

You are being misled by the boosted EVF representation into reducing exposure in the real world. Either don't adjust or apply "plus " exposure by the amount of under exposure you are having to adjust for in PP.

But it also may be a case that you disagree about the amount of exposure that should be given under dim lighting or for that matter in other lighting circumstances. Again you will have to work it out and apply a compensation factor when you shoot. I know some people insist that you can just work it out in Post but as an old slide film man that just gives me the creeps

For landscapes / cityscapes etc in a less grab shot mode I still start by looking around and taking some readings with a Sekonic L-758D light meter.
sury

Unread post by sury »

Peter,
You are right. Either I calibrate the EVF taking few shots and adjusting the the brightness to match the reality or figure out an
approximate "over exposure" based on the EVF reading or figure out why the scale at bottom of the EVF is always showing the tick
at zero. If that is the exposure meter, then the EVF behavior is a tremendous thing to enable focus accuracy while the meter is
a guide to exposure. Perhaps that is the crux and in that case it is all about RTM and correct the pilot error.

Sury