A700 V4 available (officially!)

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Philip
Oligarch

A700 V4 available (officially!)

Unread post by Philip »

For all those waiting to get V4 without risking the unoffical download, Sony Support UK has it up now. And no, it doesn't do anything extra!

windows: http://support.sony-europe.com/dime/dow ... 700_V4_WIN

Mac: http://support.sony-europe.com/dime/dow ... 700_V4_MAC

Philip
rogprov
Oligarch

Re: A700 V4 available (officially!)

Unread post by rogprov »

As expected it is byte for byte the same as the "unofficial" - or rather mistakenly released - download. They are one and the same :D
Roger
Jonathan K
Oligarch

Unread post by Jonathan K »

So what do you believe Marc Weir meant when he said "A700 v.4 and more??
Was it IDS 3? Or do they have something else up their sleeves?

Well, too bad IDS 3 is not available for Mac yet.

Cheers Jonathan
Please feel free to visit my gallery:

http://picasaweb.google.com/jonathankaell
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Sweet ladies and gentle men of the forum who own one or more A700's,

We who don't own this super equipment are eager to hear what you have to say about this update and see the results in some sample photos if you please... :D

Counting on you all 'officially' this time..

Thanks in advance,

Yildiz
Javelin
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Javelin »

changes were also made to WB and the DRO system "improvements"
bonneville
Grand Caliph

Unread post by bonneville »

aster wrote:.... eager to hear what you have to say about this update and see the results in some sample photos if you please... :D Yildiz
Have you seen this thread?
Links to my: Flickr Blog Twitter
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Hi bonneville,

Yes, I read it. I have been following every thread and every opinion A700 owners wanted to share the past two weeks. I'm always here when I get online to hear and read the latest among worthy news that concerned the A700 and the introduction of the A900.

I was hoping for sample photos that are to be created in the near future with the aid of the new update actually and the effects it had on the work flow. If it's not much trouble that is...

Yildiz
Javelin
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Javelin »

the 2 FW updates (leaked and now the official) are in fact identical. this isn't a response to Asters post I just finally had a chance to open them in an editor and compare them a few minutes ago and though people would like to know.
Chris Malcolm
Heirophant

Unread post by Chris Malcolm »

Jonathan K wrote:So what do you believe Marc Weir meant when he said "A700 v.4 and more??
Was it IDS 3? Or do they have something else up their sleeves?

Well, too bad IDS 3 is not available for Mac yet.

Cheers Jonathan
IDS 3 is not available for Windows 2000 Pro either (the Install Wizard gives up saying it's incompatible with the OS). Pity because it looks as though the improvements to the DRO in the RAW converter (which can be applied to any Sony RAW file) are a useful upgrade.
Buttoneer
Acolyte

Unread post by Buttoneer »

Hi, I wonder if some kind soul could post the installation instructions for the firmware.

I managed to get my IT department to download the file for me but all java and activ-X is disabled for us here and so I can't expand the instructions on the sony site to see what they say.

Remembering how it worked for V1->2 and V2->3, I have installed the extracted file onto a compact flash card which also contains some images. I think this will ensure the picture count doesn't get reset for me. If it destroys the pictures, no problem as they're already off the card.

Can anyone tell me what's next?

Thank you!
Last edited by Buttoneer on Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Insert the card in your camera, switch on with the menu button (the top on the left hand side) pressed while you do so. Then follow the instructions given by the camera. Use fresh battery or mains adaptor, but in fact an 80 per cent or much less battery is perfectly OK, the process only takes abut 2 minutes.

David
Buttoneer
Acolyte

Thanks for the swift reply!

Hoping to get a few shots tonight on the top floor of the Gherkin (30 St Mary Axe) at a little soiree I've been invited to and the HDR might be an interesting thing to play with.
Buttoneer
Acolyte

David,

This doesn't seem to be working.

100% battery, file in the root of the CF card (I have also tried it in a folder named after the zip file) insert into camera, switch on with menu held down, the camera says it is 'accessing' and then it just drops out into the normal menu screen.

There are still a bunch of images on the card, which as I mentioned above I was using in the hopes of ensuring the pictures didn't reset.

Does anyone know what I am doing wrong, or can they perhaps point me in the direction for doing it right?

Thanks
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Use a newly formatted card - no pix on it.

David
Buttoneer
Acolyte

Yes, thank you.

I've just done a search on another 'popular forum for Alpha users' and the solution for keeping the frame numbers running is to put your most recently used card back in and take a couple of shots, rather than keep the old stuff on the same card. It's a big card so I assumed that I could get away with it.

Or this:

Take a pic it will be called _DSC0001 or something close to that.
Put the CF card in your computer and rename the file to _DSCxxxx, where xxxx is the the number where you want to start numbering from minus 1. Put the CF card back in your camera and take a picture. And voila, you reset the counter to where you wanted.