A300 Sleep mode question

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
wildwood
Acolyte

A300 Sleep mode question

Unread post by wildwood »

Hello All,

I am new here, been playing with my A300 for a month now and love it. I had one question which I hope some one can help me with.

When I carry the camera with the strap around the neck, seems like the camera never goes to sleep mode. I have the eye start auto focus set to off and the sleep mode set up to 1 min. It does go to sleep mode when I hold the camera in my hands. For now I am switching of my camera after use, but still the battery seems to be draining fast.

Does any one know how to get this to work.

Thank you
K
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Re: A300 Sleep mode question

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Hi K and welcome to the forum. :D

Either the Eye-start is remaining activated or the rear buttons touching your shirt are activating the camera.
Another assumption is that the camera will go to sleep mode if the eye start doesn't detect anything regardless of being deactivated from the menu.
Finally, I might be wrong :oops:
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
Javelin
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Javelin »

I just tested this on an A700 (with a grip sensor though) the eyestart sensor does remain active even though it's set to off. It's like that because the senso still needs to turn off the LCD when you put the camera to your eye. but with it off it doesn't make the camera focus when it's activated. and the camera will never go to sleep whith that sensor being "made" But on the A700 (not sure on yours) there is a setting called auto off w/VF which I have set to on and info display for 5s. once the sceen is dark for 5 seconds the camera goes to sleep and the only thing that will wake it is a button press. To be honest I was testing to see if there was a difference between V3 and V4 (firmware) but I don't know what V3 was like because i never had a problem so all I could do was test what I had and relied on others to interpret.
wildwood
Acolyte

Javelin wrote:I just tested this on an A700 (with a grip sensor though) the eyestart sensor does remain active even though it's set to off. It's like that because the senso still needs to turn off the LCD when you put the camera to your eye. but with it off it doesn't make the camera focus when it's activated. and the camera will never go to sleep whith that sensor being "made" But on the A700 (not sure on yours) there is a setting called auto off w/VF which I have set to on and info display for 5s. once the sceen is dark for 5 seconds the camera goes to sleep and the only thing that will wake it is a button press. To be honest I was testing to see if there was a difference between V3 and V4 (firmware) but I don't know what V3 was like because i never had a problem so all I could do was test what I had and relied on others to interpret.
Thanks a lot for the replies guys. I am not really sure if my lens was trying to focus when I wanted the camera to 'sleep' but whenever I looked at the screen, the LCD display was always on which made me think the camera is still on. This could just be that the sensor was activating the lcd screen. Will go home and test again.

Thank you
K
Glyn R
Initiate

Unread post by Glyn R »

I turned the eye-start off on my A350. The camera wakes from sleep mode so fast I don't think it is needed. If you leave it on just hanging the camera around your neck will trigger the eye- start and cause the lens to hunt for focus. The A350 and I suppose the A300 are a bit power hungry when the Live view is on.
The older I get the better I used to be.
wildwood
Acolyte

OK, did more testing and this what I found,

1. When there is no movement before the eye start sensor ( even though it is turned off) the camera goes to sleep mode in a minute and the only way to start it again is my pressing the shutter release button

2. Even with the display off, the above seems to be the case.

So when walking with the camera, looks like my A300 will never go to the sleep mode as there will be some movement around the sensor. Is this common to all Alphas or should I contact sony support?

Thank you in advance for the advice...

K
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

This was a problem with the A100 also. I posted about it on dpreview back in the spring of 2007. The A700 also has a sleep mode bug. You can read about it here (you need to read through a lot of posts to get a full understanding of the issue):

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read. ... e=25606801