Cards on the table....

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
mikeriach
Imperial Ambassador

Cards on the table....

Unread post by mikeriach »

So here we are post Photokina. In the last month or so we've seen the launch of the Canon 5DMk4 and Sony A99Mk2. Personally I'm not a Canon fan though millions clearly are including the majority of my aviation friends but I'm just not keen on them.

Sony have thrown a pretty big punch as expected with the new stabilisation system and big leap in sensor size so here is the big question.......

Will you buy an A99Mk2 when it arrives in the shops?

I haven't created a poll as I'm just interested in people's opinions and thoughts. Personally, despite the big improvement in the basics, the cost alone prevents me from digging out my hard earned cash. I appreciate the exchange rate has put a fair additional wedge onto the standard retail cost but it's way beyond what I'm prepared to spend. I expected a price around £2500 which was still going to be out of my range. I haven't taken into account the potential cost in adding a new computer to cope with the much bigger file size (my existing one is fairly slow with 24mp RAW files).

Mike
All my Sony SLT gear gone. Still got my RX100 though.
the_hefay
Viceroy

Re: Cards on the table....

Unread post by the_hefay »

I'm not considering it at all. Maybe if I made my money with its use I would consider purchasing it. Also, my lens collection is geared toward the aps-c sensors and so I would have to invest in lenses if I went with the A99ii. It's a very interesting looking camera though and if someone wanted to purchase one for me, I would be happy to use it. :D
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Hi Mike,

My first thought was that £3k for the A99II seemed expensive. However, the Canon 5D mkIV is £3.6k and the Sony A7R mkII has just gone up to £3k.

This starts to make Nikon look like a really good move :) . Also moving to APS-C with the A77, D500 or 7Dmk2 if you want telephoto and AF.

I would like the Sony 42mb sensor in an A99 type body, however at this price it is too much for me right now. i was expecting the A99II may have got rid of the mirror, but not yet it seems. Blistering AF seems to be the battle ground at the moment, but I rarely use AF at all and so I'm not getting much from the development in the latest bodies.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
mikeriach
Imperial Ambassador

The_hefay, Your last line echo's mine, I'd have it if someone gifted it to me :). We should be so lucky. I have a mix of FF and APS-C lenses but have recently offloaded a few of both. Given the spec of the A99II there is plenty room for an A88 :)

Andy, yes I did think there was a 50-50 chance the mirror might vanish but perhaps the Mk3. I'd settle for fast but accurate AF but with the SSM lenses I understand the lens dictates the speed not the body. I might be wrong though. I'm the complete opposite, AF all the time... Yes the 5D4 is in the "corr blimey" price range but I am sure that will quickly erode. Suddenly the Nikon D750 looks in a class of it's own, sat between the big guns and the entry FF models. I am more and more happy I just acquired it! No doubt shortly there will be a Mk2 or a D760 or something maybe with a 36mp sensor, but for 24mp, the D750 will do me fine (I hope).
sury
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by sury »

I will by no means rushing to get one on day 1. But I am quite tempted by it. Since I have CZ 24-70, CZ 135, CZ 24, Sony 70-400G along with few other Tamron/Sigma lenses, I am seriously looking at getting one.
All my existing camera (bodies) still work. Minolta Dimage A2, A100, A700, and A900 all work without any problems along with last year's acquisition A77II. The questions for me is what do I do with these bodies.
As for computer, I am hoping my current machine should be adequate ( I7/32GBRAM/200GBSSID/8TB of hard drives)

Sury
Minimize avoidable sufferings - Sir Karl Popper
mikeriach
Imperial Ambassador

Sury, sounds like I need your computer!
Dr. Harout

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

:roll: :roll: :roll:
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
bfitzgerald

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

My take is Sony are going for the pro level segment on the A99 II. Those who did stick around might stump up the cash remains to be seen if Sony will do a bit more ie lenses or possibly a more affordable FF body. Or they might keep the A99 around a bit and drop the price either way I think they do need a more cost effective entry FF body.

Unless you have either deep pockets or earn decent money from shooting (you can write off purchases against tax liability) might be prudent to hold off a bit. Even if you handed me £3000 right now I'd struggle to press the buy button it's big money really and unless you can rake it back or have a nice retirement pay off I think it's overkill for many.

I do earn some money from photography but not enough to justify that and if I'm honest I can get by with what I have.
Glad something did turn up hope they can build on that next year with a few more releases. Canon are improving on sensors and DR, their ergo still leaves me fairly cold don't find them very intuitive or much fun to use. I never really liked their cameras even in 35mm days nothing has really changed. Lens range is good has to be said even there some are not as good as they should be. If you have the cash as they say only live once so enjoy!
peterottaway
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by peterottaway »

Even as a niche product the A mount probably needs 2 APS and 2 FF cameras. So perhaps using the new A99 II body with the sensor etc from the presumably forthcoming A7 III may make sense.

I am in a bit of a quandry about A mount vs E mount - having the A7r and A7r II, I am perfectly set up for some years to come. But I can't see myself buying anything beyond my existing FE 70-200 / 4.0 lens, and definitely no A9 if it ever comes along.

All my existing long to longish telephoto lenses are A mount and something like the A99 II would not only serve these lenses better, but also any replacements I may pick up in the future. The EA3 and EA4 adapters work well enough but the camera and lens size / weight are not ideal.

On one hand I am looking longingly at the CZ 18 and 25 in E mount ( I don't use my existing Minolta 85 / 1.4 enough to replace it with the CZ 85 ) but if Sigma could just be persuaded to produce the 120 - 300 and / or the 500 / 4.5, then I will probably be blowing my next 3 - 4 years camera gear budget in one fell swoop.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

peterottaway wrote:Even as a niche product the A mount probably needs 2 APS and 2 FF cameras. So perhaps using the new A99 II body with the sensor etc from the presumably forthcoming A7 III may make sense.
Sort of tangentially related. Talk about the 5 main sensor sizes among the different companies:

http://www.dslrbodies.com/newsviews/its ... again.html
bfitzgerald

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

The area that doesn't make much sense is the 1" sensors they are priced way above APS-C (bar the cheap Nikon 1 bodies or older Sony models). At the right price it's a decent sensor. I'm not convinced with the "pretend" medium format either and by that I mean the Pentax 645 and recently the new Fuji...it's not a big enough step up over 35mm to justify they cost (maybe if they actually used a proper format ie 120mm it might be). Many sports shooters I know are APS-C maybe Thom's a little off in some areas with the article though he usually makes some good points.
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

sury wrote:... The questions for me is what do I do with these bodies....

Sury
My shipping address is.... :wink:

And I'll pay the shipping!

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).
CHOLLY
Oligarch

Unread post by CHOLLY »

As soon as Sony sells out the first run, I am buying one.

Those of you who don't need AF but are worried about performance remember this; you can remove the mirror and use focus peaking in manual focus. That way you get the FULL dynamic range and light sensitivity of the A7RII in an A mount body.

But I have been looking forward to this camera ever since the A77II was announced. This is literally the best of both worlds for me, and promises to be one of the best cameras ever in terms of image quality. Add in the speed and performance (12 fps with both AF and AE) and this thing is a giant killer... even at the price point Sony is selling it because that is STILL half of what you would pay for either the 1DXII or the D5.

I can't wait....
alphaomega
Viceroy

Unread post by alphaomega »

Don't need to wait long before the next "cards" are on the table. SAR is busy pronouncing on the next Sony camera release. Cant't believe it but http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sony-a65 ... -3-months/
So a replacement of A6300 is eminent and A9 in three months rumoured with 70Mp sensor. What's wrong with the A6300? Seems to me Sony have become hyperactive. What are they going to release in the medium term with the improvements coming almost monthly?
CHOLLY
Oligarch

Unread post by CHOLLY »

The A6300 replacement will be similarly spec'ed but with one HUGE difference: the 4K overheating problem will be addressed. :wink: