DxO: Sony A900 vs Olympus E-M10II

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Re: DxO: Sony A900 vs Olympus E-M10II

Unread post by bakubo »

caporip wrote:Interesting thread.
I've been slowly moving over to Olympus mainly for the same reasons as Bakubo and find it a lot easier to lug round a full set of Olympus kit than the Sony equivalent. I've still got the Sony gear but find myself using it very rarely now.
Please see this earlier thread with lots of discussion of m4/3. I started it in 2012, but it has continued all this time with many updates. I think you would enjoy reading through it:

http://www.photoclubalpha.com/forum/vie ... =17&t=6746
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

classiccameras wrote:If only Sony used IBIS in their A/6000/6300 it would hopefully encourage more 3rd party lenses.
I read today that the new A6500 has IBIS. U.S. price will be $1400, Canada $1750, Europe €1700. From the photos I have seen with someone holding the A6500 it seems fairly large.
classiccameras
Viceroy

Unread post by classiccameras »

Thanks for posting that Henry, Sony finally saw that IBIS makes sense. Yes, the body looks slightly bigger, this hopefully will encourage new glass without any stabiliser thus making them smaller, lighter and hopefully cheaper. I'm on the verge of giving up E mount and making a system out of my EM-10.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

classiccameras wrote:I put building a kit round my EM10 on hold, all I have is that great little Panasonic Zoom 12-35 F/3.5 it is far better than the Olympus Kit lens.
Are you talking about the Panasonic 12-32mm f3.5-5.6 pancake lens? Lots of people like that one. Last year when I bought the E-M10II I got the combo with the 14-42mm f3.5-5.6 EZ pancake lens. The only reason I got the combo was that I was able to get such a good price for it compared to buying only the body. I had sometimes thought about getting the pancake zoom too, but separate it was $300. As it turns out here in Japan I was able to get the E-M10II + 14-42mm f3.5-5.6 EZ + ECG-3 grip for about US$550. Such a fantastic deal and now the price is much more. The Olympus pancake zoom has turned out to be pretty good so sometimes I use it when I am walking about. About the same size as the Panasonic 20mm f1.7.
Last edited by bakubo on Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

classiccameras wrote:Thanks for posting that Henry, Sony finally saw that IBIS makes sense. Yes, the body looks slightly bigger, this hopefully will encourage new glass without any stabiliser thus making them smaller, lighter and hopefully cheaper. I'm on the verge of giving up E mount and making a system out of my EM-10.
Here is some pretty good info about the A6500 and lenses:

http://www.sansmirror.com/newsviews/son ... meras.html
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

I read this 3 years ago, but Kirk reposted it today. Sort of appropriate for this thread, I suppose. Pretty good.

The graying of traditional photography and why everything is getting re-invented in a form we don't understand.

https://visualsciencelab.blogspot.jp/20 ... raphy.html
classiccameras
Viceroy

Unread post by classiccameras »

Canon are heading towards a success with the EOS M5 and it will be at the expense of the Sony E mount APS-C
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

classiccameras wrote:Canon are heading towards a success with the EOS M5 and it will be at the expense of the Sony E mount APS-C
It doesn't look so interesting to me, but I make no predictions. Time will tell.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

classiccameras wrote:Canon are heading towards a success with the EOS M5 and it will be at the expense of the Sony E mount APS-C
A couple of days ago I played around with the Canon EOS M5 for a few minutes. The body was close to the size and styling of the Canon Powershot G5X, but the kit lens was much larger.
the_hefay
Viceroy

Unread post by the_hefay »

Henry, I'm looking at purchasing a Panasonic GF7 (it comes with the 12-32 pancake lens), mostly for the compact size and because that's what's available here in Arequipa. Anyways, as I look down the road (which is very unusual for me) I think I'd like to use my current a-mount lenses with the camera. I know, I know, it defeats the size advantage, but allows me to use lenses that are already purchased for special situations. Anyways, have you had any experience with lens adapters and the micro 4/3 mount?
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Back in 2012 when I got my first m4/3 camera I got an inexpensive A mount to m4/3 adapter. Remember that A mount lenses do not have an aperture ring like manual focus lenses, but instead have an aperture lever mechanism inside the lens that is engaged by an A mount body. Some of the adapters do not allow you to adjust the aperture because of this, but some do so make sure you get one that can do it. You can find them on ebay for low prices. Mine cost $8, but I got it from someone else who had accidentally ordered two and didn't need one of them. The one I have has a ring you turn that engages the aperture lever inside the lens so that you can adjust the aperture. You can't set it to specific f-stops though since the ring just turns without click stops and there are no markings. With the ttl metering though that is not a problem. I don't use my A mount lenses on m4/3 since they are unwieldy, manual focus, and I have a good selection of small m4/3 lenses to use instead.

The Panasonic GF7 does not have an EVF so you can only use the rear LCD. I assume you already know this. I see that on Amazon the kit with the 12-32mm lens is about $465. If you prefer Panasonic then the G7 with 14-42mm is $497 and it has an EVF and is a slightly newer model. The GF7 is 2 years old. There are many other m4/3 choices also. If you have researched and decided the GF7 is the one you want then please enjoy it, but if you haven't researched much then tell me how you want to use the camera and I might be able to help you select among the Panasonic and Olympus models. I realize that locally you may have few choices, but using Amazon, B&H, Adorama, etc. allows you to get pretty much anything you want at good prices and with only a very short wait. Usually free shipping too. :)
the_hefay
Viceroy

Unread post by the_hefay »

Thanks for the reply and the info on the adaptors.

The real issue in looking at the GF7 is that there are several stores here that have it in stock. The current exchange rate puts it right at $467 with no need to wait on shipping. :) The last package that my folks sent me here in Peru contained my projector, which is very used and several years old. I paid $105 which was somewhere around 22% of their "assigned value, to pick it up at the post office. I only say that to say the price of ordering and shipping to Peru needs to be very cheap because I'll pay again to receive it.

I'm open to other ideas and if I could get to Lima, I'm sure they have a better selection there. I really would like a smaller camera without losing too much on the manual settings and flexibility. I just feel real awkward in many situations, with my "huge" a77ii. There are many times I don't take a photo because of the attention it draws. There was a small Pentax, but the store was super busy and I didn't have time to get a good look at it to see the model. It, too, is a mirrorless camera. Whatever I buy, if I buy, will need to be very small. A vf would be nice, but isn't a requirement. They do have a GF6 kit (I think it has an evf, but don't remember which lens) at the same price as the GF7. The lens is somewhat larger in size than the kit lens that comes with the GF7.

As far as use goes, I mostly want to stand out less or be less intimidating in certain situations like church meetings and walk around/street photography. Since I very much look like a gringo, about the only thing I can change is the equipment. :)
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Under your forum id it says you are located in Wyoming.

Here's a good review of the GF7:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/p ... c-gf7A.HTM

I didn't read it, but for your uses it probably will be just what the doctor ordered. Before m4/3 I traveled with Sony and Canon DSLRs and I never felt camera size was any hindrance to taking photos of people. Including in Ecuador, Guatemala, etc. I did find camera/lens size to be an issue when it came to carrying gear while traveling and walking though. :) The GF7 + 12-32mm pancake lens is a nice, small package and I imagine you will like it. I just wanted to make sure you knew it only has an LCD and no EVF. As long as you prefer that or at least are okay with it then it will probably serve you well. The GF6 also does not have an EVF. Certainly between the GF7 and GF6 then get the GF7.

Note, if you add an adapter and A mount lens you will not have a small package anymore. :)
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

It took Mike Johnston somewhat longer than it did for me to figure this out. :)

Micro 4/3 has caught up to Sony A900 FF

http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.co ... -good.html
CHOLLY
Oligarch

Unread post by CHOLLY »

Finally!!! A brand new M 4/3 camera has "caught up" with 10 year old Sony technology! :lol: