Future of A mount

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Re: Future of A mount

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

This is the second response I got from Sony. This is via twitter, and the technical team for Sony (not the same as the one above)

From our website, we can confirm that these 2 models [ILCA-77M2, ILCA-68] has been discontinued, but we can try to check the availability for the ILCA-99M2.
But in the previous messages, you were asking for information related to an adapter, so can we have the model?
Or, simply put, you're checking the availability for the whole A mount line up?
Cause since the move right now has been that all companies including us goes towards making E mount bodies and lenses, it's common that the production of A mount kits has lessened overtime till it completely gets discontinued, and this is always normal when introducing a new technology to replace the old one.

Regards,
Sawy

I pointed out Sony had not informed users, had ignored the press and was in effect "ghosting" their A mount customers.
It's not a big thing for me, I think we've known for a good while that they were winding it down, over many years. It's just a shame the company couldn't be honest about it, and give people a fore warning. V releasing the A99ii which to some suggested there was some hope of the line up carrying on, at least in a limited capacity.

The mixed adapter compatibility is also a problem.
I started selling off much of my A mount gear about 5 months ago. I still have a basic core set up, but down to half the lenses, and one film body. I've sold quite a bit including the A77/77ii, it's the a99 I still have until I get rid of that. When you pulls stunts like this, you lose customers, and you in effect lose them permanently too. I warned people many years ago about Sony, and sad to say I didn't take my own advice, being too stubborn to see the reality. Lesson learnt :roll:
classiccameras
Viceroy

Unread post by classiccameras »

Must be the sign of the times, because my local Cash convertors shop are selling several Sony A mount bodies, A77 Mk 1, A 57, A 68 all I might add way above what the second markets for these models demands.
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

I see more bodies coming to the used market. Quite a lot of stuff around
Cameras like the A77ii are overpriced on the used market IMO, so is the A68 (some places selling it for near what it cost new)
A99 is probably the best bet if you want full frame, or the A77 if you want a crop body at a fair price, granted the 77's jpegs are a bit iffy, but some adjustment to exposure and it's passable in low light (up to 3200)

I wouldn't go near the A99ii, it's far too expensive used. A99 goes for 600-800 Euro depending on condition, a fair price IMO. Unless you want to play around with the A900/850's

Over time prices will drop, so for those who do stick around you can get nice enough deals. I still have the 99 and some lenses, how far I cut them back, I might offload everything at some point
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

There are A-mount adapters for m4/3. I have one I bought in 2012 for $8 that allows manual focus and aperture adjustment. I tried it out, but never used it since I have m4/3 mount lenses, but it was cheap so I decided to get it since I still have several A-mount lenses (all back in the States though).

Might be worth thinking about a switch to a mount that isn't dead.