Sony a77II discontinued

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Re: Sony a77II discontinued

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

Hard to say what they will do I think it will carry on at a slow pace though (A mount)
Sony have yet to release an E mount body I'd be that interested in (price or design)

Onto Nikon looks like they are on the slide too
https://petapixel.com/2017/02/13/nikon- ... ructuring/

Tough times ahead for camera makers yet the price increases keep on coming. They can't continue with that forever
classiccameras
Viceroy

Unread post by classiccameras »

M/4/3 seem to be keeping their heads above water, as are most CSC, just. It would be good if Sony was to release a budget A7 E mount along with some decent performing affordable lenses, may be even give us a A7 APS-C sensor with suitable glass.
bfitzgerald

Depends what you want I wouldn't object to a FF body that has IBIS and isn't too expensive. It does mean adapters not keen but liveable at the right price/performance. The A7 is bashing around cheap no IBIS though which is a turn off of maybe a s/h A99 might do. I'm not in a hurry for a FF body never was can't really see the major gain for me for what I use it for.

The A6300 doesn't have IBIS which again rules it out if push came to shove really can't see why they left that out. I'll continue to sit it out even though I have a lot of FF lenses just because nothing grabs me or my thin wallet ;-)
classiccameras
Viceroy

The A6500 has IBIS, but the body is bigger than previous models and start price is way to high, probably come down as all cameras do eventually. My A6000 is now being sold on commission at my local camera store.
CHOLLY
Oligarch

Unread post by CHOLLY »

A6500 and A6300 share the SAME body. In fact, they are NEARLY identical in size and weight....
bfitzgerald

A6000 is cheap but can't see much appeal for what I might want losing IBIS isn't great. Not to get political but for the UK Brexit has destroyed camera pricing (not checked lenses would expect similar increases as there has been in general tech). Everything is just more expensive and prior to that it wouldn't be unfair to say UK prices were bad compared to many regions. Yes older products will always drop in price..well some the A77II is over £900 right now gone up again other comparable bodies D7200 also risen in price.

It's not a great era to buy new gear it also has a knock on effect with s/h prices.
classiccameras
Viceroy

I was in Belgium last week and camera/lens prices at the main media stores were more expensive than the UK.
bfitzgerald

Belgium isn't know for super cheap prices. The concern is that there might be import tariffs with EU countries post brexit. The biggest killer though is VAT consistently risen over the years yet a punitive tax it discourages spending and regardless of means everyone pays the same. I'd abolish it in seconds... ;-)

Anyway back to the A77II more price rises it's now £980 the D7200 is £836 it's not just all down to the exchange rate issues. A77II is nearly 3 years old can't really see many flying off the shelves at just under £1000.
classiccameras
Viceroy

I've just sold my A6000 and now back on A mount with all the A mount lenses to choose from, I might up grade my A37 but not sure what yet. Can't afford the A7711 but might consider the A68, any suggestions would be welcome.
the_hefay
Viceroy

Unread post by the_hefay »

Currently my A77ii is in the shop being diagnosed. I suspect a couple of bad cables. Depending on what the estimate for repairs comes to, I might considering saving my money and waiting for an a77iii or whatever might be the successor to the a77ii.
bfitzgerald

Repairs can be pricey best to get a quote. I suppose an A77III is due it might be more appealing if they use the newer sensors not sure what else they will do bar probably 4K capture.

A68 is a bit more interesting than the A58 (what isn't? grin...) a plastic body A77 but you do at least get the new AF system and better video if that matters. Bit of a shame about the dated rear LCD if it's like the A58 it's workable though pales a bit compared to the double res ones. Buffer is shallow for raw 8 capture. Depends what you want I wouldn't rush out and buy one it could do being a bit cheaper. A57 still going along nicely it's my second camera and don't see any pressing need for upgrading it..likewise A77 I think I paid not much more than the A68 is now hard to spend similar cash outlay for a lesser body.

From what I've seen the A68 sensor isn't much different to the other 24mp ones
peterottaway
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by peterottaway »

I purchased the A68 because of the difference in price with the A77 II. I can't say that there are or are not any differences in sensor, but the rear LCD doesn't matter to me as I use the EVF for composition with this camera. In the short time I have had the camera I've had no problems and the handling is pretty much the same as you would expect from the A77 I/II.

The difference in construction material hasn't affected my use of the camera. Although most of the time I have had available has been spent checking my new Sigma 24-35 on my Nikon D750, F6 and F80. I don't have any interests in the Sigma primes so many people have gone ga ga over. And it handles better on the F6 ( and even the lightweight F80 ) than on the D750 which is usable to me, but body wise is not a much loved camera. The D750 hand grip for me is all the wrong shape when being used in the field, and it alters my fingering arrangements and anything more than moderate useage here and there gives me an attack of the fat finger syndrome.

No such problem with the A68. It may be that my brain has been mapped with the Sony body shape for so long !
the_hefay
Viceroy

Unread post by the_hefay »

I really liked the layout of my a100. The a580 was okay, but never really got used to it. The a77ii has been a pleasure to use from an ergonomics and handling viewpoint. An a77iii, I imagine, would be right up my alley.
peterottaway
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by peterottaway »

I probably should have said that my usual A68 kit is made up of the 16-50 / 2.8 and the Sigma 50-150 Series 1 zoom. Never say never but I can't see myself adding to my Sigma collection any time soon.

The 18-35 is a very nice lens but I just can't make a case for buying it. Well not without Sigma making a very large discount. It's just when I am saying something was shot wide open, that to me is somewhere around f 2.8 to f 4.0 rather than between f 8.0 and f 13.0.
classiccameras
Viceroy

I think I will take your advice Barry and take a rain check on the 58 may be until a better replacement comes out, I will stick with my little A37, I love the compact size and its got the same sensor and processor as the A57 and a metal mount, I find the A68/77 loo big and bulky. As for other cameras, I like the body size/grip on the Canon's 60D, 70D possibly 80D, These are on my short list, although I think the Canon 18mp cameras gave nicer IQ than later 24mp.