What do I need to get this sort of self-portrait?

All the many film cameras made by Minolta, from the 6 x 9cm Auto Press to Disc, excluding the Vectis range
bakubo
Tower of Babel

What do I need to get this sort of self-portrait?

Unread post by bakubo »

When you want to do this sort of self-portrait of you and your kangaroo dancing together I am wondering if it is best to use a self-timer, a radio controlled remote control, or a cable release to take the photo after you have tossed your Hasselblad in the air?
hasselblad.jpg
(32.93 KiB) Downloaded 6284 times
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Re: What do I need to get this sort of self-portrait?

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Hell, Henry, when it comes to jokes you always go straight for the jugular...

David
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

I just realized that I put this post in the wrong forum. It should not have gone in the Film non-SLR forum. I should have put it in the Film SLR forum since the Hasselblad is, of course, an SLR.

I have given even more thought to this and although I am not a physicist I am pretty sure that timing would be rather critical in this situation. Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but after tossing the camera wouldn't it only be in that position for a pretty short time? This might give a clue as to which of several methods might work best for a remote release of the shutter. This is all new to me as I am really treading in uncharted territory so I may very well be all wet. Also, in my experience, typically you want the lens pointed toward the subject you want to photograph and I wonder which of various tossing techniques would likely result in the highest percentage of well composed photos in this situation?

Yes, I realize that choice of film, lens, shutter speed, aperture, etc. are also important, but until I can get the method of tripping the shutter at the proper time I am postponing the other issues that must be considered.

I am especially anxious to hear from some of our Australian members since I suspect that they have more experience than the rest of us photographing kangaroos in all kinds of situations.
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

I've got it figured out, Henry!

You use fast film, a wide angel lens pre-set for focus at about the 3 ft mark, and a decent aperture - say f8 - to get enough DOF.

You have a wireless remote with the trigger on your chin. You have the 'roo trained really well so that as soon as you toss the camera, he punches your chin and triggers the remote. If you toss was good, and the timing right, you'll get the shot.

If not, at least the guy with enough sense to stay back gets this shot! :lol:

Dusty
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Dusty, that helps, but the camera tossing technique is still a mystery. I am even wondering if it might be better to drop it over my shoulder and then try to kick it up in the air with my foot?

Kangaroos are not common around here and are only seen on rare occasions riding boogie boards when there are good swells down at the wall. It is darn near impossible to get one to take a break long enough for a dancing photo while the waves are good. I suspect the Australians have more experience with kangaroos and might give me some hints. Ours are all expats and their ways are a bit of a mystery to us.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

I am thinking that with all the selfie experience people have had in recent years that some great techniques to get this sort of photo have probably been developed. What do you think?
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Minolta's old cameras with an extending pole and a mirror viewfinder on the front! Selfies work because women hold the camera higher than eye level, men hold it at chest level. Done the other way round and they look awful...
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Yes, that could be helpful! Also, here in 2014 drone tech might lend a hand in some way. :lol: