Minolta Uniomat rangefinder

All the many film cameras made by Minolta, from the 6 x 9cm Auto Press to Disc, excluding the Vectis range
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Minolta Uniomat rangefinder

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

Some time ago I picked up a Minolta Uniomat (circa 1963, I think) with a 45mm/2.8 lens, for just a couple of dollars on ebay. I have no idea how to use it, just the focus, the film advance, and the shutter timer. I do know that the "Uniomat" name means that the aperture and the shutter are the same device, but my knowledge of the camera ends there. Does anybody have any experience with this camera? There is a guage on the top with two needles, one which apparently guages light and another which moves with adjustment of a ring on the lens barrel. I assume you are supposed to make these two needles match.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
xzulx
Acolyte

Re: Minolta Uniomat rangefinder

Unread post by xzulx »

KevinBarrett wrote:Some time ago I picked up a Minolta Uniomat (circa 1963, I think) with a 45mm/2.8 lens, for just a couple of dollars on ebay. I have no idea how to use it, just the focus, the film advance, and the shutter timer. I do know that the "Uniomat" name means that the aperture and the shutter are the same device, but my knowledge of the camera ends there. Does anybody have any experience with this camera? There is a guage on the top with two needles, one which apparently guages light and another which moves with adjustment of a ring on the lens barrel. I assume you are supposed to make these two needles match.
I think that's the correct way to get the right exposure when the two needle match, same as my Minolta SRT101 i need to change the shutter speed and aperture to make the two needle to match. Try download the manual from the net then from there you'll know how the rangefinder operate. That what i always do when i bought an old classic rangefinder

My rangefinder

KevinBarrett

Got bored on a rainy day and took this:
Attachments
DSC03675.jpg
DSC03675.jpg (272.42 KiB) Viewed 8344 times
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Wow KB! Stick that picture on Sony Rumours and we've got the next Sony EVIL prediction :D . Have you got any film to go in it yet?
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
KevinBarrett

I put a roll in there about two years ago, but I've been so slow in using it. There are a few adjustments on it that I don't understand, so I'm hesitant to record anything important with it. Thew outer ring on the barrel is focus, but the inner ring is more complex. I'm almost certain it is used to compensate for your film sensitivity, but at any of several different markings...E D C B A? And there's a lot of other markings on the ring and between the rings, including a red tab that can be moved between a red "X" and a yellow "M."

Guess I'll have to share with some more pictures to describe it...
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
Dusty

Unread post by Dusty »

X and M are flash sync settings. M for bulbs (they have to fire before the shutter to build up light output) and X for electronic flash.

Dusty