homeward bound.

Where you live and what you do there - your own space & time
Forum rules
Do not post personal information or images relating to your home, family, workplace or possessions as this is public forum. Feel free to post about your home town, countryside, hobbies, sports, subjects of special interest or study, culture, tourist attractions. No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Javelin
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

homeward bound.

Unread post by Javelin »

well my town only has about 20 houses all along one street. so it's not a great place to take "this is my hometown" style pictures. Also since I just got my 28-135 and it needed a test run I figured I'd take some pictures of some of the sites on my commute home from work to try out this lens. Please check out the gallery I put up and let me know what you think.

Heres a couple samples.

And the gallery
http://www.uranium-238.com/~stf/Glenn/T ... index.html
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Re: homeward bound.

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Nice set of pictures you have Javelin. The Church has a Nordic design, i.e. a design used most in Northern part of Europe including Russia. It is very beautiful, and just to think that it's build from Cedar tree (not the Lebanese one 'Cedrus libani', I know) should give it a nice wood scent.
Thanks for sharing. :D
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
[SiC]
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by [SiC] »

Wonderful images Javelin! I especially like #2 in your post above, and the last one with the (electrical) windmills :D

/Zeb!
Sony A700, A580, Nex-5t, KM D7D & VC-7D, M Dynax 500si
KM 17-35 F2.8-4 D, M 50 F1.7 RS, M 135 F2.8, M 28-100 F3.5-5.6 D, M 100-200 F4.5, T 70-300 F4-5.6 Di USD, S 18-55 F3.5-5.6 SAM, S 18-70 F3.5-5.6
Sony hvl-f42s, Minolta 3600 HS D
Sony Z1C & Z2
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Lovely photos, thanks for sharing your commute home - with all of those fabulous photo opps does it add much time on to the daily commute? :) The church is amazing, as the Doc said, I would have thought you were in Eastern Europe with that design of church. I think my favourites are the pumpkins (#1 in this post or #10 in your gallery) and the the collection of weird and wonderful squashes (#11 in the gallery). How did you get the three horses and foal to all face in the same direction in #2 in the post?
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
Javelin

Unread post by Javelin »

Thanks Doc. This cedar is not an aromatic type my home is also made from this wood but it's not th aromatic type. the scent is very faint. I'm not ssure the history behind the church or who it serves. My guess is it's a congregation or european Catholics this whole area was settled by Europeans but this church wasn't there 5 years ago, so it's fairly new.

Sic: Thank you. Those windmills were all put on over the last 2 years. I can see maybe 30 of them from my backyard.

Birma: thanks yes I did run out of light on the way home. to be honest i've been driving by all this scenery without stopping everyday. i'm goin to make it a point to stop more often though. I had such trouble with the horses! but the time i'd get out ofthe truck they would face a diferent direction I stopped 4 -5 farms but didn't figure anyone would want to see horse but pictures. or they stop playing like the foal did. I'm going to bring apples with me next time I shoot horses.
bossel
Viceroy

Unread post by bossel »

I like both, esp. #2. There is this half-cut horse at the right border, but I don't know how one could avoid that.
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

bossel wrote:I like both, esp. #2. There is this half-cut horse at the right border, but I don't know how one could avoid that.
Open your browser window all the way, and you'll get the whole picture
Regards
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bossel
Viceroy

Unread post by bossel »

ok forget my comment about cut horses :mrgreen: Maybe I need a bigger screen 8)
Javelin

Unread post by Javelin »

Scared me there for a second,,, glad you found the other half.

I found out that church is Ukrainian and it was built in 1995
alfake
Heirophant

Unread post by alfake »

Javelin: I also like your two pictures. The beautiful directional light enhances both compositions. (Perhaps I would try a crop in the first one so that the pumpkins filled the frame, but, who knows, perhaps I would abandon the idea after trying it…)
Alfonso
bossel
Viceroy

Unread post by bossel »

alfake wrote:Perhaps I would try a crop in the first one so that the pumpkins filled the frame...
I thought exactly the same, that's what I did when I had some similar shot. Make them fill the frame and get rid of what's around!

See http://www.flickr.com/photos/17876643@N05/ for larger sizes!
KevinBarrett

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

That church is particularly neat-o, thank you for sharing! Your new lens seems to resolve a fair amount of detail... a good buy for the rest of us to look out for?
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
RobbieA
Oligarch

Unread post by RobbieA »

Javelin wrote:well my town only has about 20 houses all along one street. so it's not a great place to take "this is my hometown" style pictures. Also since I just got my 28-135 and it needed a test run I figured I'd take some pictures of some of the sites on my commute home from work to try out this lens. Please check out the gallery I put up and let me know what you think.
Lovely images. Thanks for sharing. Don't stop posting now.
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

I Like shots #1 and #2 Bossel - not 'much-room' for anything else in the frame there :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Hi Javelin, :D

I enjoyed each photo in your gallery; the church is a fine wood structure with a complementing context of wood fences, and nicely-cared-for landscape. Though the choice of architectural design is a little odd for a recent building it still adds a unique appeal to the surroundings. The pumpkin and the little girl and the horses are my favorites.

You have an engaging commute route...
Thank you for sharing that portion of Earth with us.. :D

Yildiz