Symphony of Stones

Where you live and what you do there - your own space & time
Forum rules
Do not post personal information or images relating to your home, family, workplace or possessions as this is public forum. Feel free to post about your home town, countryside, hobbies, sports, subjects of special interest or study, culture, tourist attractions. No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Symphony of Stones

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

There's a place (gorge) not far from the capital city of Yerevan (around 20 km or so) called "Symphony of Stones". Honestly I couldn't capture it well, but hope it will give you a hint.

I included a man and a car at the bottom of this picture to have a notion of the height

Hope they will please you and I apologize to dial-up users (probably they'll have hard times downloading the pics).
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
aster
Tower of Babel

Re: Symphony of Stones

Unread post by aster »

Hi,

The vertical shot, no:3, shows off the actual chemistry and physical formation best while the wide shots give away the enormous scale of the rock formation. This formation must have taken milions of years till it gained this aligned/stacked-stilts look. Must have a special mineral make up that crystallizes in this manner.

No wonder they are likened to a 'symphony' and music, they look like a huge vertical xylophone or stacked pipes of sound. :)

Yildiz
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Very interesting pictures Doc. I like #3 best, it does look just like a xylophone :) .

I'm not a geology expert, but this formations look similar to these formations at Staffa off the West coast of Scotland.

http://www.scottishgeology.com/outandab ... taffa.html

and the Giant's Causeway on the North East coast of Northern Ireland

http://www.giantscausewayofficialguide.com/geology.htm#
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

aster wrote:Hi,

The vertical shot, no:3, shows off the actual chemistry and physical formation best while the wide shots give away the enormous scale of the rock formation. This formation must have taken milions of years till it gained this aligned/stacked-stilts look. Must have a special mineral make up that crystallizes in this manner.

No wonder they are likened to a 'symphony' and music, they look like a huge vertical xylophone or stacked pipes of sound. :)

Yildiz
This is columnar basalt, as remarked - Giant's Causeway/Staffa etc, and a few other places in small intrusions. It does not take millions of years, it's the result of an intrusion of lava into the crust - a pipe or flow of lava vertically. The hexagonal structure is caused by cooling and by the crystalling structure of the basalt, which I guess must be a rapid event in geological time, maybe hundreds or thousands of years, not like stalactite formation. Looks like a fantastic good example - better than the Giant's Causeway I think, certainly more dramatic. I like the outcrop near the tree and river.

David
Winston
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Winston »

The direction of flow really has nothing to do with it. The direction has to do with the direction of cooling. You can see it in the mudflats in our deserts after a rain.

More info: Columnar Basalt

It is visible anywhere a stream or river has cut through the lava flows that cover Idaho's Southern and South-Western plain.
Winston Mitchell
KM7D, A700, A77, A77M2, A7M3
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Cetainly learned more about this phenomenon... :D

Thanks all!

Yildiz
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

We've got some formations like those here in the states...looks rather like a giant pipe-organ, doesn't it? Your shots give the scale well enough...I think my favorite is the stream though. I like to see the formations interrupting the more natural-looking earth and how the stream slowly takes the pieces and tumbles them away.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
Dr. Harout

Thanks for the interest.
Here is another one shot with A100 with SAL1870 kit lens

Flickr
Dr. Harout

And here's the river stream where you could notice those same basalt columns.

Flickr
braeside
Grand Caliph

Unread post by braeside »

What a fantastic sight, I have been to Fingal's cave on Staffa and I don't think it was half as impressive.
David
Dr. Harout

Thanks to everyone for your comments.

Flickr
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

No3 and No5 are my favs Doc, No3 really shows the "pipes" of the organ well, and that outcrop near the tree and stream is striking, sort of like grandstand seating for midgets..I reckon that one is a winner.
Greg
Dr. Harout

Thank you, Greg. I appreciate it. :D

Flickr
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Cool. I have seen this sort of stone formation before, but I am trying to remember where. Maybe I saw some at Zion National Park in Utah. Or, maybe it was in the Todra Gorge in Morocco.