Digging The Old Is The New Trend

Where you live and what you do there - your own space & time
Forum rules
Do not post personal information or images relating to your home, family, workplace or possessions as this is public forum. Feel free to post about your home town, countryside, hobbies, sports, subjects of special interest or study, culture, tourist attractions. No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
aster
Tower of Babel

Digging The Old Is The New Trend

Unread post by aster »

Hello,

Back with more photos from street walks on narrow streets and the old gems they keep hidden amongst them.

This time to my surprise I discovered a small shop with any kind of old things you can imagine a house from early 20th century would have inside for everyday use all stacken on top of the other; obsolete fashion; faucets; lamps; broken cupboards; a few pages from an old Qur'an; a wedding license; oil lamps; old radios; ceramic stoves and heaters...all things imaginable!
The lady who owns the shop says that cinema students and photographers come here in search of old items for vintage studio set-ups...

My CZ 16-80mm helped me capture some of these dust-collecting items.

Here they go then!

Yildiz
Last edited by aster on Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Re: Digging The Old Is The New Trend

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Wonderful warm colour works well. The wedding couple is interesting - the girl is wearing a clochée hairstyle, which came just after the earlier 1920s 'bobbed' flapper style, and she has tied her headscarf to resemble a clochée hat. I think the fashions came from Coco Chanel (certain they were French) and would have been very modern and international in Turkey (I guess).

David
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Very interesting pictures Yildiz. I particularly like the wedding couple. As I think DK has said before, it is the pictures that evoke a story that are often the most thought prevoking and memorable. They certainly look a daper couple. Did you try rubbing the lamps to see if anything unexpected happened :D ?
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

David Kilpatrick wrote:Wonderful warm colour works well. The wedding couple is interesting - the girl is wearing a clochée hairstyle, which came just after the earlier 1920s 'bobbed' flapper style, and she has tied her headscarf to resemble a clochée hat. I think the fashions came from Coco Chanel (certain they were French) and would have been very modern and international in Turkey (I guess).

David
:D Yes, considering that our cultural and educational relationship with France was always stronger and deeper than other European cultures since the times of the Ottoman Empire, it's not surprising to see the influence of the French fashion on a bride of the Modern Turkey. I looked but could not find a date in the marriage license/certificate while I was there so I think you're very close to the truth of that period.

Interesting, I would not have expected such detailed fashion analysis from you. I guess I have this strange impression of you as the guy with more interest in down to earth music, lifestyle, and dress coding. But you're good with more 'airy' matters of life like fashion too as it appears... :D

Thanks for the comments, the warm colours are dictated by the late afternoon sunlight that was reflected from a wall across the shop...in fact the actual reason I began to take photos in the shop in the first place.

Yildiz
Last edited by aster on Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[SiC]
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by [SiC] »

They are all great Yildiz, but I especially like the image with the Qur'an pages... One can see parts of other artefacts there as well, curiously making the mind wonder what kind of hidden treasures you might find if you would have sat foot there :D

BR,
/Zeb!
Sony A700, A580, Nex-5t, KM D7D & VC-7D, M Dynax 500si
KM 17-35 F2.8-4 D, M 50 F1.7 RS, M 135 F2.8, M 28-100 F3.5-5.6 D, M 100-200 F4.5, T 70-300 F4-5.6 Di USD, S 18-55 F3.5-5.6 SAM, S 18-70 F3.5-5.6
Sony hvl-f42s, Minolta 3600 HS D
Sony Z1C & Z2
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

And Ali Ulvi efendi (Mr.), son of Hasan efendi and Ayishe (Ayse) hanum (hanim, khanum = Mrs.) was a teacher, thus from a very respectable class at that time, notice that lady Zeynap didn't have a family name (the same as is now in present Iran). And in that page of the Koran you find a word about Noah, worshiping God, about believers and so forth. (As much as I could read).
Yes, the photos speak a lot. The mood is perfect. Well done Yildiz. :D
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Thank you for the translations Doc. And the story goes on ...
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Birma wrote:Very interesting pictures Yildiz. I particularly like the wedding couple. As I think DK has said before, it is the pictures that evoke a story that are often the most thought prevoking and memorable. They certainly look a daper couple. Did you try rubbing the lamps to see if anything unexpected happened :D ?
Thank you Birma, :D

I didn't rub the lamps in the photo but they certainly do have a lamp which is reminiscent of Allaaddin's magic lamp. (if you look inside the cupboard in the first photo there's a strangely-shaped lamp)
I wish to see what else is in the shop, and plan an other visit there. And when I'm there I'll rub the back of that strange lamp and wait for the effects... :)
My wish list my contain an A900 bundle and more...why keep it a short list when it's expected to be a genie lamp!

Yildiz
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

[SiC] wrote:They are all great Yildiz, but I especially like the image with the Qur'an pages... One can see parts of other artefacts there as well, curiously making the mind wonder what kind of hidden treasures you might find if you would have sat foot there :D

BR,
/Zeb!
Thank you Zeb,

:D Thanks to Dr. Harout's small translation of the page, it was interesting to learn that it's about Noah..I like Noah's part. It reminds me of the harm the people of our times are doing to their environment and thus causing a dramatic climate change. We all may end up needing a boat some day too, to survive and to have something dry to stand on. :)
I wonder what else it says. (I can't read Arabic)
There's almost anything in the shop. I found a room heater made out of ceramic to my liking but I don't know if it works. I'll ask when I go again.

Yildiz