Zvartnots

Where you live and what you do there - your own space & time
Forum rules
Do not post personal information or images relating to your home, family, workplace or possessions as this is public forum. Feel free to post about your home town, countryside, hobbies, sports, subjects of special interest or study, culture, tourist attractions. No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Zvartnots

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

When lead was needed for conquerors (for their guns), they dug it from inside the walls making the building unstable... And eventually from a severe earthquake the Zvartnots monastery collapsed.
Now it is under reconstruction/rehabilitation.

And that unfortunately was the fate of too many architectural masterpieces which standing through centuries collapsed under human atrocities.
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
Dr. Harout

Re: Zvartnots

Ooops, :oops: I forgot to mention that these shots were with A100 + SAL1870 DT kit lens. :D

Flickr
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

More interesting pictures Doc. You continue our education on Armenia and its history :) . It must have been an amazing building when it was whole. Nice pictures with the 18-70 kit as well. (You have inspired me to dig out some older 18-70 pics of mine.)
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Yes, definitely interesting Dr. Harout.

The colour of the stone used for the structure elements is also very different from what we see in the Roman-period architecture around the Mediterranean Sea. This is basalt perhaps? Adn the design character is significant too. :)

Thanks,
Yildiz
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

That's a great structure Dr H, Zvartnots Cathedral was apparently built in 643 AD but it only stood for about 300 years, the earthquake of 930 AD destroyed it...according to Wikipedia that is, it was added to the UNESCO world heritage list in 2000. And yes I totally agree with you about the mindless destruction that has taken place at the hand of man down though the ages, the great library in ancient Alexandria destroyed and burnt..irreplaceable records of early history lost forever, the great Cheops Pyramid...all the marble stripped off the outside, so now it's just a big pile of rocks..pretty ordinary compared to what it one was, Ancient Babylon sacked...I think if you dug around the list would be almost endless, we humans are a sad lot.
Anyway I do like your pics Doc, I think that first one is the best.
Greg
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Dr. Harout wrote:When lead was needed for conquerors (for their guns), they dug it from inside the walls making the building unstable... And eventually from a severe earthquake the Zvartnots monastery collapsed.
Thanks for posting these photos. It looks like an interesting place. Why was there lead in the walls?
Dr. Harout

Yildiz, yes the stones are mainly basalt and tuff.
Greg, you're right about the Cathedral standing for 300 years or so, but my last sentence was referred to other sites for which I'm preparing some photos (namely Garni Temple).
Henry, they use lead within the walls to absorb the shock of earthquakes, i.e. as an anti-seismic measure.
Thanks for the comments to all. :D

Flickr
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Sorry Doc I meant No2, somehow I got em reversed....duh! for some reason I just love that image with the full view of the columns and the interior, maybe I was a temple builders helper in an earlier lifetime. :)
Greg
[SiC]
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by [SiC] »

Every time scouting this part of the forum my eyes returns to this topic... Just for the scandinavian like name i think, Svartnos in swedish means "black snout" :wink:
Sony A700, A580, Nex-5t, KM D7D & VC-7D, M Dynax 500si
KM 17-35 F2.8-4 D, M 50 F1.7 RS, M 135 F2.8, M 28-100 F3.5-5.6 D, M 100-200 F4.5, T 70-300 F4-5.6 Di USD, S 18-55 F3.5-5.6 SAM, S 18-70 F3.5-5.6
Sony hvl-f42s, Minolta 3600 HS D
Sony Z1C & Z2
Dr. Harout

:D

Flickr