My city, its surroundings and anything related with it

Where you live and what you do there - your own space & time
Forum rules
Do not post personal information or images relating to your home, family, workplace or possessions as this is public forum. Feel free to post about your home town, countryside, hobbies, sports, subjects of special interest or study, culture, tourist attractions. No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Hawk
Oligarch

My city, its surroundings and anything related with it

Unread post by Hawk »

Below is what you may see from Lipowe hill in Limanowa, city where I live. Its about 10-15 minutes walk from city center.

Last edited by Hawk on Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hawk
Oligarch

Re: My city

Unread post by Hawk »

KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Re: My city, surroundings landscapes

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

It's a beautiful place! Do share more!
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Yes, a very beautiful place.
You could post such pictures in the section "Welcome to my world".
Please, do post some more in that section.
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
Ghor
Acolyte

Unread post by Ghor »

Nice shots from a beautiful place!
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Hmm, nice!

A bike ride through and around the hills would feel great in your town Hawk, not to mention a good hike. :) Lovely fruit trees in blossom...

Yildiz
Hawk
Oligarch

Unread post by Hawk »

I'll try to post more soon :) David, can you move this thread to "Welcome to My World"?

Yildiz, I prefer bike trips over hikes :) There are lots an lots of lovely places to ride through. This is my first bike season with DSLR so I'll probably post some shots from my trips in future.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Moved! The town looks lovely. The countryside is much like some areas here in the Scottish Borders, maybe not surprising that we have a good community of Polish newcomers who plan to stay (this is not the place to come for mainly economic reasons). We are not allowed to build houses in that kind of pattern, with fields between them. They divide agricultural land and housing land strictly, so houses are grouped in estates and developments and clustered right up to the towns, then no ribbon development along roads is allowed, and no random development on farm land. It's a policy which has greatly reduced the quality of housing in Britain, increased the value of available land disproportionately, left isolated farms and old cottages in isolation with little hope of being part of a community, and left country roads neglected while main roads are overused.

David
Dusty

Unread post by Dusty »

David Kilpatrick wrote: We are not allowed to build houses in that kind of pattern, with fields between them. They divide agricultural land and housing land strictly, so houses are grouped in estates and developments and clustered right up to the towns, then no ribbon development along roads is allowed, and no random development on farm land. It's a policy which has greatly reduced the quality of housing in Britain, increased the value of available land disproportionately, left isolated farms and old cottages in isolation with little hope of being part of a community, and left country roads neglected while main roads are overused.

David
Ah yes! The stupidity of 'smart' development! We have that here in a few places, and they always end up with results like yours. In some places one county ore state adopts it, and everybody moves across the border, making the new areas flourish while the old areas - which had adopted it to preserve itself, or more likely, it's tax revenue - languishes.

Dusty
KevinBarrett

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

David Kilpatrick wrote:We are not allowed to build houses in that kind of pattern, with fields between them. They divide agricultural land and housing land strictly, so houses are grouped in estates and developments and clustered right up to the towns, then no ribbon development along roads is allowed, and no random development on farm land.
Sounded like a dream just from that snippet. Here in Texas it's suburban sprawl all over the place. All of the beautiful places are being assaulted with RV dealerships, auto salvage lots, and gas station oases. The jobs are on one side, and the homes on the other. Result: we chop up all of our open spaces with 200 ft-wide freeways, fill in the places in between with parking lots, and drive 3-ton trucks 90 miles a day to get to office jobs. Now you know why I don't post many landscapes.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

KevinBarrett wrote:
David Kilpatrick wrote:We are not allowed to build houses in that kind of pattern, with fields between them. They divide agricultural land and housing land strictly, so houses are grouped in estates and developments and clustered right up to the towns, then no ribbon development along roads is allowed, and no random development on farm land.
Sounded like a dream just from that snippet. Here in Texas it's suburban sprawl all over the place. All of the beautiful places are being assaulted with RV dealerships, auto salvage lots, and gas station oases. The jobs are on one side, and the homes on the other. Result: we chop up all of our open spaces with 200 ft-wide freeways, fill in the places in between with parking lots, and drive 3-ton trucks 90 miles a day to get to office jobs. Now you know why I don't post many landscapes.
I've seen that, strip development. But the Polish town does not look like that. It looks like Austrian villages - the sort of place where a house is known by the name of the family that has lived in it for several centuries, and the four or five fields it's in are known the same way and belong to the house.

Our industrial development is zoned, in industrial estates (what the French and Spanish both call a polygon, I think). I'm lucky, an old gasworks site used to face our house (rear) and was developed 15 years ago as a very expensive business unit courtyard - that meant we were able to secure commercial office permission for part of our house despite being in a conservation area and a listed building.

David
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

David Kilpatrick wrote:I've seen that, strip development. But the Polish town does not look like that. It looks like Austrian villages - the sort of place where a house is known by the name of the family that has lived in it for several centuries, and the four or five fields it's in are known the same way and belong to the house.
I was about to post that it reminded me of Austrian villages. Have you ever been to St. Jakob im Walde? It is in the countryside about half-way between Wien and Graz. Beautiful place. It reminds me of the photos in Poland.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

I've been between Wien and Graz - to Pollau in the Steiermark, which is the home of the Minolta Club Austria (now called Fotoclub Austria, the same thing happened to them as to me, but the difference was their local Minolta people had fierce loyalty and when they transferred to Sony, took it with them - and supported the Austrian club properly). It was the villages of the Pollau tal I was thinking of.

David
Hawk
Oligarch

Unread post by Hawk »

David Kilpatrick wrote:I've seen that, strip development. But the Polish town does not look like that. It looks like Austrian villages - the sort of place where a house is known by the name of the family that has lived in it for several centuries, and the four or five fields it's in are known the same way and belong to the house.
Its quite like that here in countryside. If you are looking for some address most people will not tell you where it is by house number, but ask for family name and they'll get you exact directions.
David Kilpatrick wrote:Our industrial development is zoned, in industrial estates (what the French and Spanish both call a polygon, I think).
There are industiral zones here too, but not everywhere. Lot of industry in lot of cities is side by side with homes and/or estates.
Hawk
Oligarch

Unread post by Hawk »

Today weather wasn't good for landscape shots (a bit foggy air), but since weather forecast says it may rain for whole next week I took some shots and stitched them together. So here it is, full size panorama of quite typical southern Poland countryside. Image (2.2MB).