My love for Nature and simplicity :-)

Where you live and what you do there - your own space & time
Forum rules
Do not post personal information or images relating to your home, family, workplace or possessions as this is public forum. Feel free to post about your home town, countryside, hobbies, sports, subjects of special interest or study, culture, tourist attractions. No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
bossel
Viceroy

Re: My love for Nature and simplicity :-)

Unread post by bossel »

Now I think I have to explain this: Afiyet olsun is kind of 'enjoy your meal', 'bon appetit' or 'Guten Appetit'.

There is one major cultural difference. In Europe, we say it when we start a meal. In Turkey, you say it when you start, in the middle and at the end. Basically every time someone says something nice about the food during the meal.

So when Aster liked the bread, I feld urged to send a little afiyet olsun :mrgreen:
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

bossel wrote:Now I think I have to explain this: Afiyet olsun is kind of 'enjoy your meal', 'bon appetit' or 'Guten Appetit'.

There is one major cultural difference. In Europe, we say it when we start a meal. In Turkey, you say it when you start, in the middle and at the end. Basically every time someone says something nice about the food during the meal.

So when Aster liked the bread, I feld urged to send a little afiyet olsun :mrgreen:

Bizi çok iyi tanımışsınız, teşekkür ederim! :D
You know us so well, thank you!....and I feel the good calories just thinking that brown flat bread.. :)

Yildiz
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

Dr. Harout wrote:Interesting how easterners thrive to live like westerners do while the latter try to return back to their roots :roll:
How true! In Brazil in the early 80's the river people (Amazon region) cooked over fires for the most part. The city folk used bottled gas, which sucked up all their money to feed the stove. One missionary there was teaching the city folk to build earthen stoves fueled by sawdust, which the local sawmill would gladly give away for free.

I wonder now, with most sawdust in industrial countries being processed into some type of product, if that's still the case.

Dusty
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

bossel wrote:Now I think I have to explain this: Afiyet olsun is kind of 'enjoy your meal', 'bon appetit' or 'Guten Appetit'.

In Japan one would say  戴きます (itadakimasu) which is the standard thing said before eating. It translates literally to "I receive" but it is a keigo word so denotes a lot of humility.

Here is a man making bread in Marrakech, Morocco:

InTheSky
Viceroy

Unread post by InTheSky »

Bread is near the the expression of life in many culture. This is why I think we are so fascinate by it. When you start to make you own ... you feel like in control of some part of your needs :-).

In Quebec we use the "Bon appetit" any time before to start our meal.

in two weeks I will use the Oven to cook a fresh fish from the river beside the Oven (last catch):
In Quebec I call that : Brochet (the first one 25 inches) and the three other : Dore 29 (inches the big one).

After that It will be those friends waiting for the hunting season in one month, It was there watching me doing the oven this weekend:

We call that "Perdrix" (Corrected, thanks Dr :-) ) in Quebec, I don't really know the word in English, probably someone can help me :-).

Regards,

Frank
Last edited by InTheSky on Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Frank
A7 (R, S & R II) + NEX 3N ( and few lenses )
Javelin

Unread post by Javelin »

that would be a partridge in English. makes a fine lunch while your waiting for the deer to come back out in the afternoon. They are a pain most other times. If I was to ever have a heart attack it would be when one of those takes off in the dark in the woods. they sound like a helicopter crash and they wait untill they are almost underfoot and then panic and fly away usually through whatever brush is in their way making a great deal of noise.
InTheSky
Viceroy

It is true that those bird are kind of Stupid :-). They think that when they do not move we cannot see them. We have all those stories about them. You can almost hit them in bike if you don't look forward for a moment and they are on the side of the road.

The first time I was hunting them, my friend missed the bird. But only because of the big bang of the gun, the bird was kind of knock out and walk very slow, I have been able to reach it and take it and break is neck with my hand. I'm almost thinking some time if a gun is really useful to get it.

Nice to know the English word for the bird now :-).

Thank you,

Regards,

Frank
Frank
Javelin

Unread post by Javelin »

Never tried to catch one by hand but I suppose you could. Also it looks like you could get 3 or 4 of them in you oven :)
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

InTheSky wrote:We call that "Predrix" in Quebec...
If I'm not wrong it should spell: Perdrix :idea:
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
InTheSky
Viceroy

I corrected it, thanks ! :-) to fast on the keyboard ... :-( (first computer at 4 years old ... )
Frank