The destruction of a photographic treasure

Where you live and what you do there - your own space & time
Forum rules
Do not post personal information or images relating to your home, family, workplace or possessions as this is public forum. Feel free to post about your home town, countryside, hobbies, sports, subjects of special interest or study, culture, tourist attractions. No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

The destruction of a photographic treasure

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Kelso kirkyard has provided me with countless images. Over the last two days, the parks department has been cutting every single yew bush down to a stump. They will regrow, but it will be a generation or more before anything like the old pictorial landscape of the churchyard is restored.
yewpruning2-sml.jpg
yewpruning2-sml.jpg (423.47 KiB) Viewed 6658 times
This is the kind of scene we had last month - the yew trees make it, I would say:
snowykelso-7-sml.jpg
snowykelso-7-sml.jpg (364.35 KiB) Viewed 6658 times
There will no doubt other photo opportunities as it changed, but the loss of maybe fifty of so mature yew bushes is sad.

David
aster
Tower of Babel

Re: The destruction of a photographic treasure

Unread post by aster »

That 'they surely will regrow' is no consolation at all definitely.

They could have left the yew shrubs in moderate shape and height so that they would not look so tragically and carelessly cut off. They look 'soulless' now. In fact they could have cut them alternatingly so that the garden wouldn't look as though one big hazardous event deprived them off of their beauty, leaving behind a naked, flat piece of land...

Humanbeings don't consider other living species as much as their own selfish selves ...and they appear to be of the same type wherever they be around the world. Once they think that they are the only authority, come the hectic losses of cultural and natural heritage...

It's like "better be a king for a day and rule ruthlessly to prevail with power, than be an avarage person and be a picture of humane peace, beauty and sanity".

I'm sad that your test photos won't include the grand beauty of the yew shrubs for some notably long time into the future but I'm mostly sad for the people who lost their 'silent friends' that they walked past everday.

Yildiz
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

I took this ironic shot on Monday. Over a dozen similar stumps line the central fountain in front of the Conservatory visitor center. While they may only have been short-lived Bradford Pears, the stumps left behind don't explain the short lifetime of the tree.
Attachments
DSC02919.jpg
DSC02919.jpg (706.09 KiB) Viewed 6643 times
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Yes, that is sad. I am assuming they had good reasons to cut them all way back, but maybe not. Last year in Honolulu the city department that does this sort of thing completely cut down a bunch of nice trees next to the convention center by mistake. I don't recall all the details, but I think they went to the wrong place and just started chopping trees down. The mistake wasn't discovered until after they were done. From quotes in the newspaper from the supervisors in the department they didn't seem to be too concerned about the screw-up either...until a public uproar sprung up.