My other hobby

Where you live and what you do there - your own space & time
Forum rules
Do not post personal information or images relating to your home, family, workplace or possessions as this is public forum. Feel free to post about your home town, countryside, hobbies, sports, subjects of special interest or study, culture, tourist attractions. No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
the_hefay
Viceroy

My other hobby

Unread post by the_hefay »

I hope it's obvious that one of my hobbies is photography, or at least the attempt of photography. ;)

My other hobby, so to speak, is coffee roasting. My brother got me hooked by giving my some green coffee beans and a used air popper. I loved it so much that I eventually purchased an actual coffee roaster that has a half pound capacity. Fresh brewed coffee from fresh roasted beans is the best way to start off a day.

Always had to roast outdoors with the popper. There was too much smoke and chaff. Nearly impossible to roast during the winter.
DSC01105 1024.jpg
air popper roasting
(348.85 KiB) Downloaded 12741 times
With the gene cafe model I can collect the chaff and route the smoke through an open window.
_DSC5963 1024.jpg
gene cafe roaster
(214.33 KiB) Downloaded 12741 times
Here I'm weighing the beans to pack into vented bags.
DSC00748 1024.jpg
roasted beans
(249.58 KiB) Downloaded 12741 times
Birma
Tower of Babel

Re: My other hobby

Unread post by Birma »

Wow - that really is going back to first principles! :D Nice pictures.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

I drink at least 5-6 cups per day.
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
mvanrheenen

Unread post by mvanrheenen »

Oh man, that's great! Do you grow your own beans too? That would complete the circle wouldn't it?

Mark
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

mvanrheenen wrote:Oh man, that's great! Do you grow your own beans too? That would complete the circle wouldn't it?

Mark
No, you still need a bathroom... :wink:
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
the_hefay
Viceroy

Unread post by the_hefay »

Dr. Harout wrote:
mvanrheenen wrote:Oh man, that's great! Do you grow your own beans too? That would complete the circle wouldn't it?

Mark
No, you still need a bathroom... :wink:
:D hahaha

And no I don't grow my own beans. Wyoming has the elevation but it's a little far from the equator.

Doc, I'm a 4-5 cup persone myself. Usually I drink it black, but every once in awhile I fire up the espresso machine and spoil myself with a triple shot espresso or homemade hazelnut latte.
Birma wrote:Wow - that really is going back to first principles! :D Nice pictures.
I saw a guy on youtube once that said don't let your camera control you, learn to control your camera. I believe the same thing applies to coffee. And besides now I can photograph the coffee roasting and accomplish two great things at once, how can I go wrong with that? :)
Attachments
_DSC4795 1024.jpg
Hazelnut latte
(200.39 KiB) Downloaded 12720 times