Touch of Africa

Where you live and what you do there - your own space & time
Forum rules
Do not post personal information or images relating to your home, family, workplace or possessions as this is public forum. Feel free to post about your home town, countryside, hobbies, sports, subjects of special interest or study, culture, tourist attractions. No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Javelin
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Re: Touch of Africa

Unread post by Javelin »

Really? thats interesting. The navy painted their ships with patterns like that and they would dissapear against the horizon and make it hard to judge the range..
RobbieA
Oligarch

Unread post by RobbieA »

Today, some of urban SA

Sun going down over Johannesburg

Morning traffic to Johannesburg

Midday traffic

Shoe repairs on the side of the road

Lower income goverment provided housing

Freeway down to Durban

Holiday resort town on KwaZula south coast , Scottburough.. packed with people during holidays

aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

This last post has been a nice photo-trip Robbie, thanks a lot. :D

I felt like I was on the highway to that holiday resort and catching glimpses of the scenery on the way while in a vehicle...

It's a all-in-one country: ocean, advanced city life and all the wilderness one could ask of Africa. And all can be accessed within reasonable time and distance...in other words unique. :)

Aren't you just too glad that you live there?!! :D :D You can go swimming and surfing, you can go safariing and you can go to a theatre nearest to you to see the latest marvel-of-technology blockbuster movie in town with your loved ones..What else is there to ask for in life..? :D

Lucky you!

Yildiz
RobbieA
Oligarch

Unread post by RobbieA »

aster wrote:Aren't you just too glad that you live there?!! :D :D You can go swimming and surfing, you can go safariing and you can go to a theatre nearest to you to see the latest marvel-of-technology blockbuster movie in town with your loved ones..What else is there to ask for in life..? :D

Lucky you!

Yildiz

Yes Yildiz, have to admit that geographically we have one of the best countries in the world. I have travelled to lots of places and none that I have visited can offer what we have here. But, being an African country, we are still a developing country and as such, our economy is not like the western world. We have a very high rate of unemployment, high crime rate because of this and a weak currency against the other major currencies. We import lots and our manufacturing industry is very limited. This all causes problems in their own right and some will argue that you are a lot better of than we are!!

Robbie
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Hi Robbie,

All in good time...Just a little patience and I strongly believe that South Africa will find its place among other good economies. I recall where you are coming from as a country, the social class clashes, sometimes racism blurring the good picture and no doubt Mandela's struggle to bring together in solidarity as one nation. But hard times are mostly over and working together will make everything better in the future.

None of the nations are free of economic problems or high rate of unemployment, or poverty and even famine. Look how U.S.A. is struggling with the latest break down in their economy, who would of thought a month ago that this would hit America. Globally we are all in the same boat from now on, when economy coughs in one part of the world there's sure to be many others to cough in too distant economies too. Every economy is alerted now, looking for a way to prevent their domestic economy to go unaffected by the latest global shake. You just need to hear the debates performed on tv by politicians of our country to believe me. It's a never-ending argument-series. None of the economies is smooth...maybe the grass looks greener from your side of the fence when you look our way. :)

You keep taking nice photos and uploading them for the world to see...and that'll be your contribution for promoting your land.. :D
We like what you helped us see and think so far...

Yildiz

ps.When I get the time I'll take some photos of people living on the streets here to help you believe...
RobbieA
Oligarch

Unread post by RobbieA »

Ok, today's pictures of the "big 5" continue

The African Elephant.... Ears much bigger than the Indian Elephant.

and the Buffalo.. usually found in herds of up to 2 thousand.. looks calm and not dangerous.. don't be fooled by looks!!

Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Nice shots Robbie - the Water Buffalo looks concerning enough. There was an amazing video doing the rounds on YouTube recently of a full scale battle between a pride of lions and a herd of buffalo at a watering hole. Some crocs joined in at some point. All while a safari tour passed by. That would have been a time when you wanted video on your DSLR!
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
RobbieA
Oligarch

Unread post by RobbieA »

Birma wrote: That would have been a time when you wanted video on your DSLR!
Thanks... but then I would have to have a Nikon or Cannon... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: but would of been kewl to see..
RobbieA
Oligarch

Unread post by RobbieA »

Since it was my burthday last week, my family treated me to a flip in a Tiger Moth. This was absolutely awesome. Some pics from the trip.

Just before take off

Just after take off

Johannesburg from the air.

Residential suburb south of Johannesburg
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Nice shots Robbie. Hope to see more. :D
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

A belated Happy Birthday to Robbie. What a great looking plane! What was it like to take pictures from an open cockpit? I bet SSS came in handy.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
RobbieA
Oligarch

Unread post by RobbieA »

Birma wrote: What a great looking plane! What was it like to take pictures from an open cockpit? I bet SSS came in handy.
Plane vibrated like crazy! Also wind pressure phenominal and very little space to move in. Not an easy task to take any pics. Take my hat off to the guys that actually flew and fly those super flying machines. Yes, SSS plays a major role when trying to take pics in a situation like this.

Thanks for the good wishes. :D