Touch of Africa

Where you live and what you do there - your own space & time
Forum rules
Do not post personal information or images relating to your home, family, workplace or possessions as this is public forum. Feel free to post about your home town, countryside, hobbies, sports, subjects of special interest or study, culture, tourist attractions. No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
RobbieA
Oligarch

Re: Touch of Africa

Unread post by RobbieA »

Tadays view, The White Rhinocerous.... so who knows the difference between the white and black rhino's?

and of course, the horse with stripes, The Zebra

aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Lovely! :D Thanks Robbie...

Well, I got some help from Wikipedia and here are my results:
The white rhinoceros is actually larger, wider, and heavier than the black rhinoceros which is narrower and weighs less.
The white one also has a wide mouth form while the black one has a pointed mouth form.
The white ones majorly live in South Africa while the black ones are prone to east and central Africa habitats.

And the white ones outnumber the black species... :)

Yildiz

ps. I hope I pass the test.
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

aster wrote:Lovely! :D Thanks Robbie...

Well, I got some help from Wikipedia and here are my results:
The white rhinoceros is actually larger, wider, and heavier than the black rhinoceros which is narrower and weighs less.
The white one also has a wide mouth form while the black one has a pointed mouth form.
The white ones majorly live in South Africa while the black ones are prone to east and central Africa habitats.

And the white ones outnumber the black species... :)

Yildiz

ps. I hope I pass the test.
Yildiz you just won Robbie's A700 :lol:
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Dr. Harout wrote: Yildiz you just won Robbie's A700 :lol:
Well...Thank you your Imperial Excellency!
I'm much-humbled by your generosity, much as it comes at the expense of an other mortal being's sweet A700.... :D

Yildiz

ps.In that case we would have to collect money between us and buy the A900 and the new Carl-Zeiss lens series for Robbie to return the favor and also to get more beautiful Africa photos... :D :D
RobbieA
Oligarch

Unread post by RobbieA »

ps.In that case we would have to collect money between us and buy the A900 and the new Carl-Zeiss lens series for Robbie to return the favor and also to get more beautiful Africa photos
Now this is an astounding idea. Please don't let me stop you.

Haha, yes, I think you got the answer. But the main difference is that the white one has a wider mouth and is more of a grazer of grass, the black one's mouth is narower and eats more from shrubs and bush. We have both of them in South Africa..

Wow, you see, this can become an educational post as well.. hahahahahaha :D :D :D
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

RobbieA wrote:
ps.In that case we would have to collect money between us and buy the A900 and the new Carl-Zeiss lens series for Robbie to return the favor and also to get more beautiful Africa photos
Now this is an astounding idea. Please don't let me stop you.

Haha, yes, I think you got the answer. But the main difference is that the white one has a wider mouth and is more of a grazer of grass, the black one's mouth is narower and eats more from shrubs and bush. We have both of them in South Africa..

Wow, you see, this can become an educational post as well.. hahahahahaha :D :D :D

Now I know what I'll be doing the next time I'm out and about doing shopping in the city: buying more than a couple of lottery tickets to increase my chances! :D :D

And yes, it's a very educational thread...

Yildiz
Dr. Harout

aster wrote:Well...Thank you your Imperial Excellency!
You're welcome.
aster wrote: much as it comes at the expense of an other mortal being's sweet A700.... :D
That's what rulers are for, aren't they :twisted: :lol:

Flickr
Javelin
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Javelin »

I love Zebras.

I'll have to get some pictures of Canadian Zebras and post them. :wink:
RobbieA
Oligarch

Unread post by RobbieA »

Javelin wrote:I love Zebras.

I'll have to get some pictures of Canadian Zebras and post them. :wink:
Canadian Zebra's? You gotta be kidding??? is this for real? Didn't know you got something like that. Please educate me and post a pic!
Javelin

Unread post by Javelin »

No kidding. there are 3 big farms near where I live that breed them (not so many wild ones around here :D So maybe I mislead you a little ) as well as Camels, Reindeer... one farm even had a Lioness they were tasked with raising to adulthood. llamas, Alpaca's, Kangaroo's too
RobbieA
Oligarch

Unread post by RobbieA »

Javelin wrote:No kidding. there are 3 big farms near where I live that breed them (not so many wild ones around here :D So maybe I mislead you a little ) as well as Camels, Reindeer... one farm even had a Lioness they were tasked with raising to adulthood. llamas, Alpaca's, Kangaroo's too
Well, that explains that. Sorry, home bred animals don't count.. hahaha.. There are actually 2 breeds of zebra over here..Burchells and the Cape Mountain Zebra. And guess what? they are wild!! hehe.. it is Africa after all. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
RobbieA
Oligarch

Unread post by RobbieA »

And since we on the subject of Zebras, they are the easiest animals to convert their pics to pieces of art.

Javelin

Unread post by Javelin »

Nery nice. and yes I suppose so. no matter what you do to the pictures those stripes show through and there is no mistaking them.
Dr. Harout

Javelin wrote:...those stripes show through and there is no mistaking them.
Unless you're a tse-tse fly :lol: :lol:
FYI, tse-tse cannot discern zebra's "costume" from the grass, thus not biting them and eventually not infecting them with "sleeping disease".

Flickr
Javelin

Unread post by Javelin »

Really? thats interesting. The navy painted their ships with patterns like that and they would dissapear against the horizon and make it hard to judge the range..