The Malvern Hills

Where you live and what you do there - your own space & time
Forum rules
Do not post personal information or images relating to your home, family, workplace or possessions as this is public forum. Feel free to post about your home town, countryside, hobbies, sports, subjects of special interest or study, culture, tourist attractions. No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Birma
Tower of Babel

The Malvern Hills

Unread post by Birma »

The Malverns are the main feature to the west of Worcester where I live. Here are some pictures from today when the family went for a short walk and picnic on the hills.

First some views from the hills over the countryside.

All taken with Tamron 17-50/2.8.

crop from 1/50 F16 ISO200 @17mm with ND grad

crop from 1/20 F16 ISO200 @45mm with ND grad

crop from 1/40 F18 ISO200 @17mm with ND grad

C&C welcome as always
Last edited by Birma on Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
Birma
Tower of Babel

Re: The Malvern Hills

Unread post by Birma »

Some more views from today.

View towards British Camp (the remains of an Iron Age hill fort) toward the Worcestershire Beacon in the far distance.
1/100 F16 ISO200 @17mm

A view to the Southwest
1/80 F14 ISO200 @17mm with ND grad

Rain to the South
crop from 1/60 F18 ISO200 @17mm with ND grad
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

For all you mushroom lovers ... on the hills there were some huge fungi of some description.

David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

I have only walked the Malverns once, in winter in light snow. There was a strange old house almost derelict in the middle of broken down trees on the way up to the ridge - very spooky. Around 1969-70 maybe. Nice shots but they look a bit lush at this time of year and I think they are better when less green! I hope you ate the mushrooms.

We had a gardener once who insisted that we had 'horse-mushrooms' growing in the garden. Guess what? He was wrong, and quite ill as a result, and so was Shirley though she only ate one before deciding there was an error of identification!

David
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

Lovely pictures! Why am I suddenly thinking about Watership Down?
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
rogprov
Oligarch

Unread post by rogprov »

Nice photos and quite familiar territory for me - in fact, sat here on Robinswood Hill in Gloucester I'm probably in one of your shots, but not even the a900 would have the resolution to see me :D :D

Roger
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Nice series Birma. I love the shot with the sheeps.
As for the mushrooms, let me tell you the best way to know whether they are edible or not. You show them to someone who knows/understands them (or thinks he does). If he/she insists their edibility, no problem, you make an omelette with them and serve him/her. :D :lol:
There was a plumber who saw mushrooms in our garden and said they were edible. He insisted a lot. Finally I told my wife to prepare them and we all sat around him while he ate them. Waited a day, and when he came back on the next day to finish his job I understood he was right. There on we pick them.
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Thankyou all for your comments.
KevinBarrett wrote:Lovely pictures! Why am I suddenly thinking about Watership Down?
I think Hazel, Fiver, Bigwig and friends would have been quite happy; there are certianly lots of their bunny buddies living there at the moment.
rogprov wrote:Nice photos and quite familiar territory for me - in fact, sat here on Robinswood Hill in Gloucester I'm probably in one of your shots, but not even the a900 would have the resolution to see me ...
I think we had slighly better weather than you yesterday, it looked like rain to the South of us?
David Kilpatrick wrote:I have only walked the Malverns once, in winter in light snow. There was a strange old house almost derelict in the middle of broken down trees on the way up to the ridge - very spooky. ...
Now we are getting more mobile with the baby (a good work out with the baby carrier yesterday) I'm looking forward to some clear, crisp winter walks there this winter. I remember a similar incident with a derilict cottage in a plantation on Mull. We were trying a shortcut ( :D ) and came upon it quite suddenly. We'd only recetnly watched the Balir Witch Project and we found our walking pace quickened considerably for the next mile or so!

... and regarding mushrooms, I must admit to being a complete coward when it comes to eating mushrooms not bought from a shop. I think the Doc's advice is a good idea.
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Nice getting to know the Malvern Hills through your eyes Birma, :D
A good region to go trekking and the view is interesting with the overcast sky and green ground... and sheep...

I really should be thanking your little daughter for getting you more mobile.. :D

Yiildiz
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Hi Yiildiz,

The grass is especially green this year. Normally it would be brown from a dry(er) summer, but this year (like the last) has been very wet. More lawn mowing and hedge trimming means less photo taking :(

Perhaps Matilda will take me out this afternoon if the sun is still shining :D