How do you carry your camera?

Create polls and watch the responses
Forum rules
Think hard before creating a poll. Admin may delete frivolous or repetitive polls!

What does your camera typically wear, besides the lens?

Body only
13%
Body and vertical grip only
18%
Neck strap
43%
Neck strap and vertical grip
18%
Grip belt
No votes
Grip belt with vertical grip
No votes
Tripod
10%

Total votes: 40

KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

How do you carry your camera?

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

I created this very trite poll just because I've found myself flip-flopping lately between strap and no strap. On one hand, the a700's wonderful ergonomics make it easy to tote without a strap. I find that when I don't want to wear the weight of the camera on my neck, then carrying it in my hand is no chore at all, but then the strap hanging off the camera is a liability and threatens to catch on a branch or a stranger's nimble hands. However, the neck strap makes lens-changing miraculously easy.

I wonder how everyone else does it... I don't own a grip belt or vertical grip yet, so I'm curious about the ergonomics of them and whether there are any ups and downs or trade-offs to consider. Obviously a lot of the utility will depend on the purpose of your shooting and what lens is attached, so feel free to explain what you use most often and why.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
[SiC]
Imperial Ambassador

Re: How do you carry your camera?

Unread post by [SiC] »

I carry my D7D with VG and neck strap. When I'm on a "shoot" I tend to carry it by it's normal grip (or VG), and try to keep strap on my arm (inserting arm in the strap and then "twist" it around my arm) or when that wont work well enough I just keep it dangling...
To relieve my hand I switch from carrying camera in hand to carrying it around the neck or on my shoulder.

/Zeb!
Sony A700, A580, Nex-5t, KM D7D & VC-7D, M Dynax 500si
KM 17-35 F2.8-4 D, M 50 F1.7 RS, M 135 F2.8, M 28-100 F3.5-5.6 D, M 100-200 F4.5, T 70-300 F4-5.6 Di USD, S 18-55 F3.5-5.6 SAM, S 18-70 F3.5-5.6
Sony hvl-f42s, Minolta 3600 HS D
Sony Z1C & Z2
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

For now the neck strap is on, but do I use it, well it seldom is hanging from my neck. I would prefer the grip belt but it is not available yet here. Sometimes I do like Zeb does, wrapping the neck strap around my wrist.
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
Javelin

Unread post by Javelin »

For the mopsr part I carry with the strap wrapped around my hand once and then hold the grip it looks like the hand strap when i'm carrying it. otherwise I have it by the lens barrel. the strap is never round my neck. if i'm not going to use the camera for a while I have a holster I put it in.
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

I always support the lens from beneath with my left hand while shooting or walking with the camera for short distances. Between shootings the A100 is in a Lowepro bag with its accesories and an extra lens which I can attach to my belt or just carry round my shoulder. The neck strap never was attached to the camera since the beginning, because it always gets in the way or exposes the lens and the camera to banging into hard surfaces while around the neck if not in constant control.

I carry it body only, supporting the lens constantly with the palm of my left hand...

Yildiz
Last edited by aster on Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Winston
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Winston »

None of the above. I use Black Rapid R-Straps.
Winston Mitchell
KM7D, A700, A77, A77M2, A7M3
PhotoTraveler
Grand Caliph

Unread post by PhotoTraveler »

I've done just as the OP since buying the A700. I had the neck strap on the 7D, but carried the camera in hand most the time. So I never put it on the A700. It's not much of an issue unless you need your hands free, also makes lens swaps harder. But at least you don't have a strap in the way.
KevinBarrett

So far no votes for the grip-belt, I see. I'm trying to imagine what advantage it offers, but all I can think of is that the camera becomes harder to drop, which a neck-strap will also do, and that comes with the camera. Does anyone even have one?
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

I have the neckstrap on my A700 with the camera either hanging from my shoulder or my neck. When the strap is around my neck I am always holding the camera in one hand to relieve the weight from my neck and to prevent the camera from swinging. When I am traveling, I often walk for 8-10 hours a day with the camera like this. Of course, I stop, take breaks, etc. :) When I am not traveling I pretty much do the same, but usually not 8-10 hours. Some of my travel photos are here:

http://www.bakubo.com
johncjohn
Acolyte

Unread post by johncjohn »

i take my cam for walks in the countryside in a backpack,with either tripod or monopod.the south downs way in east sussex close to where i live is good walking but some of the paths leading up to and down from it can be slippery,i have been on my back more than once! well padded lowepro took the blow,a700 safely stowed inside.the vertical grip greatly improves the handling,and looks impressive as well!
best to all,
john
bonneville
Grand Caliph

Unread post by bonneville »

I generally tote my stuff around in a Lowepro Slingshot 200, with additional cases for the big white ones (on special occasions) :wink:

I also use a Lowepro neckstrap as it has a CF card holder for 2 cards and quickly detachable on each side, ideal when on the Manfrotto. What's more it is well padded and more comfortable around the neck.

BTW, this thread reminds me of the bizarre, and very interesting one that grew and grew on Dyxum with pictures of how folk load their bags with their cameras and lenses. Some very ingenious combinations.
Links to my: Flickr Blog Twitter
KevinBarrett

bonneville wrote:BTW, this thread reminds me of the bizarre, and very interesting one that grew and grew on Dyxum with pictures of how folk load their bags with their cameras and lenses. Some very ingenious combinations.
Oh man, that's a great idea! Just one problem...what about those of us that have just one camera?!
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
bonneville
Grand Caliph

Unread post by bonneville »

KevinBarrett wrote:
bonneville wrote:BTW, this thread reminds me of the bizarre, and very interesting one that grew and grew on Dyxum with pictures of how folk load their bags with their cameras and lenses. Some very ingenious combinations.
Oh man, that's a great idea! Just one problem...what about those of us that have just one camera?!
1. borrow one to photograph yours in your bag

2. steal one to ditto (but risk going to prison)

3. buy another on ebay for the purpose (some good cheap film cameras available)

4. consider an ingenious setup involving mirrors and a timed exposure

or

5. get a life :lol:

trite enough for you Kevin? :)
Links to my: Flickr Blog Twitter
KevinBarrett

bonneville wrote: 1. borrow one to photograph yours in your bag

2. steal one to ditto (but risk going to prison)

3. buy another on ebay for the purpose (some good cheap film cameras available)

4. consider an ingenious setup involving mirrors and a timed exposure

or

5. get a life :lol:

trite enough for you Kevin? :)
Ouch! It burns!

I actually tried to use my wife's Canon Powershot S3 IS to photograph my kit before and discovered that the lens is out of alignment! It's hard to even think about using the camera in my cell-phone...
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --