Memory card capacity

Create polls and watch the responses
Forum rules
Think hard before creating a poll. Admin may delete frivolous or repetitive polls!

What capacity are most of your memory cards?

Less than 1 Gb
No votes
1Gb
8%
2Gb
12%
4Gb
40%
8Gb
28%
16Gb
8%
32Gb or greater
4%

Total votes: 25

bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Memory card capacity

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

Most of your memory cards are which capacity?
Obviously many people will have variable sizes, so it's up to you to say which capacity is a reflection on "most"
The other points that could get a mention are, if you have very large memory cards, do you ever fill them up? Or is it a good idea to have more, small capacity cards?
You can also mention the brand you prefer, or if you have had any problems with any makers.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Re: Memory card capacity

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Barry, please change the title to 'most of your recently purchased memory cards'! Of course 'most' of my memory cards are old - a drawerful of everything from 8MB to 512MB, then some later 512 SDs which I still find useful, two or three 1GBs, a set of 2GB, one 4GB - and so on. But my latest purchases have all been 16GB, two CFs and one SD - 4GB is the largest MemoryStick I have, and I do have two 8GB SDs versus only one 16GB. But current purchasing means looking for 16GBs and when 32GBs come down a bit more, no doubt these.

We have just enough memory cards to do a typical week's shooting between two of us without running out - in Venice I used one 16, two 4s and two 2s while Shirley used about 2/3rds of her 16. I also did use the MS backup in my 900 for a reasonably fast switchover when the main card filled up.

David
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

I'm still using mostly 1Gb cards, CF and MS. A typical day's shooting for me will be 2Gb, may be 3. I then transfer on to laptop, and wipe the cards. Perhaps not the most risk free option :shock: .

I am hanging off buying more cards until I see what the next batch of Sony dslrs use. I am guessing SD and MS. (I am about to buy a Sony DSC T500 as an alternative to a Flip Ultra HD etc. and so will probbaly get a 4gb MS to go with this.)
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

I have no cards lower than 1Gb, most are 2Gb..probably enough for 6/10mp shooters.

I ebayed any older ones off, ok you don't get a lot for them, but even 512mb ones..will sell, better than leaving them around gathering dust.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Even a 512MB can be useful. Holds almost a full CD of info, very light to post to people. I'm just about to use one this way with my D5000 going back to Nikon for the sound to be checked.

David
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

My first P&S was an HP, which used CF cards. When it bit the dust (literally, the kids dropped it) I bought a Canon as there were no HPs I liked that still used CF cards. Back then they were an investment, even though small and slow.

When the Canon bit the dust I bought my wife another Canon, even though it used SD cards, since they're cheap now. She recently gave it away to a friend needing a camera, so the next P&S she gets could be any brand with any type of card.

Dusty
bonneville
Grand Caliph

Unread post by bonneville »

Having had a couple of cards become corrupted over the years I am reluctant to rely on an entire trip or shoot on a large card, preferring to download them on to my Epson P300.

So 2 and 4 gig cards are my max but now that RAW has become my primary capture I may have to rethink this and up it to 8 gigs.
Links to my: Flickr Blog Twitter
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

I still have the 1Gb Microdrive I used to use with my 7Hi...
Then, I got a coouple of 2Gb Microdrives (it was less expensive at that time) and I bought a cuple of 4 Gb just a year and a half ago. both Kingston: good and cheap.

Last year I got a 8 Gb Kingston for a friend of mine, but it gave him errors on his D300 while on the A700 just worked fine. The problem with that card is that I have reading problem on my computer often. Since then I prefer to stick on 4 Gb and I do back up all the time on my 40Gb FlashTrax

Regards
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;