Should sony produce enthusiast type compacts?

Create polls and watch the responses
Forum rules
Think hard before creating a poll. Admin may delete frivolous or repetitive polls!

Would you possibly buy a high end Sony compact/non DSLR?

Yes, I would be interested
86%
No, I am not into compacts or non DSLR's
14%

Total votes: 14

bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Should sony produce enthusiast type compacts?

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

Sony's cybershot range is very consumer based, but unlike some other manufacturers (Panasonic, Ricoh etc), they have no offerings in the higher end compact sector. With more advanced features, higher spec, raw etc etc.

Should sony produce such a type of camera, and would it appeal to Alpha users?
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Re: Should sony produce enthusiast type compacts?

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

I think that one of the keys to getting the market to take your brand seriously is to offer advanced products in all areas. Perhaps not an "Alpha" branded compact, but with an APS-C sized sensor, a fast lens, and an alpha hot shoe, Sony could have a really hot product on their hands. Not to mention, Sony could bridge people into the Alpha system through the compatible accessories.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
bossel
Viceroy

Unread post by bossel »

Why not? DSLR are great and I love mine, but other people can have other preferences! If you have ever sneaked into the non-SLR Sony forums, 717,828 and R1 users adore their cameras! So if Sony could make something decent with a not too small sensor and a good 24-200mm lens and not too large - well that would be something tempting as travelling-light solution :lol:
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

bfitzgerald wrote:Sony's cybershot range is very consumer based, but unlike some other manufacturers (Panasonic, Ricoh etc), they have no offerings in the higher end compact sector. With more advanced features, higher spec, raw etc etc.

Should sony produce such a type of camera, and would it appeal to Alpha users?
Barry,
You forgot the H series, the DSC-H20 is a nice camera and the new DSC-HX1 is even better, using a G lens (Minolta time's designed?) From your list of requirement, these cameras only lacks RAW.

Quoting Sony literature, this camera is targeted to:
"
DIGITAL SLR USERS
Some DSLR users are looking for a lightweight, point and shoot camera alternative. They also want features that will perform like their DSLR camera. The DSC-HX1 is that camera. The professional quality Sony G Lens provides beautiful image quality that captures accurate colors and stunning, sharp images. Zoom? The DSC-HX1 has ZOOM – 20x Optical Zoom! No need to bring an extra lens to get close. Does your customer want to shoot in Manual mode? That’s covered too!
"

During my trip to Peru last Easter I did watch what kind of cameras tourist brought with them: dSRL were mostly CaNikon -I only bump on one group of Minolta/Sony users with 7Ds and A700s. But on the high end point a shoot, there were way more Sony H series cameras than Canon 9/10Gs and I don't recall any Nikon P series.

This is why I think your appreciation about how ugly the new A230/330/380 are is wrong. They are H-Series like, even in the simplification of the menus, and are targeted to their (very large) point and shoot consumer's base.
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Javelin
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Javelin »

I think Sony has alreay made that decision. what could they sell a camera like that for dollar wise when you can get a DSLR for $500 bucks. the R1 was as expensive as a midrage DSLR and I think the idea of figuring in the cost to include a comparable lens would be too complex for the buyers to deal with. My F717 has a 49-190mm F2-2.4 zoom how much money would that lens cost alone in an SLR mount?
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

Sonolta wrote:Same thing can be said for the 28-200 f2.8-3.5 APO
-Sonolta
Last Saturday, my girlfriend and I went to Long Island City http://maps.google.com/maps?q=long%20is ... =en&tab=wl visiting friends and looking for an apartment for us. I was (am) in a film mood, so I took the XPan with me, and the Dimage A2 as "Backup" camera. I wish the A2 had a decent 400 ASA output, it will be THE perfect compact camera!
:-)
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

HX1 well, not sure it's really hitting the spot for me. I have had superzooms..but surely such a camera deserves more work, and RAW as well?

So far at least, everyone thinks Sony should make some higher end non DSLR cameras. Question is..who is sleeping down at Sony HQ, when they should be working hard! :mrgreen: