Sony A500/550 the verdict?

Create polls and watch the responses
Forum rules
Think hard before creating a poll. Admin may delete frivolous or repetitive polls!

A500/550, your verdict!

Great Sony have done a fab job
8%
Not as good as expected
25%
About fine for their class, but nothing earth shattering
67%

Total votes: 12

Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Re: Sony A500/550 the verdict?

Unread post by Dusty »

Well, it seems like selling off everything you have and buying into a new system from scratch will cost you over $2k, so what's the upside to doing that?

Dusty
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

bfitzgerald wrote:You are right it is a logical thing to consider the A700. I am of the feeling at the moment, that I should not invest any further in A mount. The only real question is to keep some or all of my current stuff (hard to give up the film minoltas) or just dump the lot and start again.

Unless a miracle happens, I just don't have any confidence in Sony right now. I think as time goes by, that Sony will have very little in common with some of the ideas from Minolta, not that I expect or want clones etc, no problems with their own ideas, they just seem hell bent on fiddling and cutting things down. My ideas are the exact reverse of what Sony are doing, that's a recipe for not being happy. :cry:
If I was in your position I wouldn't buy new Sony lenses, flashes, or other expensive accessories, but I don't see a new body as investing more in the A-mount. It is just getting something that allows you to use your existing stuff with a good body. In a couple of years you will probably want to replace the A700 anyway with either a new Sony body or then make the switch. The A700 now would be the cheap way to postpone the decision until things are clearer. I just don't look at a new body as being something that ties anyone tighter to a particular mount. Of course, you could not do anything and just continue with the A200 and 5D, but since you are talking about changing there must be something about them that you are not satisfied with.
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

Well there is no danger of Sony making a huge profit from me, I currently own only a Sony flash, and obviously the A200. All of my lenses are either Minolta, or Tamron. :mrgreen: That's not because I am anti Sony, just I picked up some nice deals on ebay etc.
I think I will stick around for a bit, the big problem jumping for me is, well the cost of building a system from scratch is not that cheap, though it's open to debate what I would need, my demands are not that huge.
What I might do is tuck away some cash, from odd jobs etc, and just let it sit there, and make a choice when I have had more time to think it through. The only way to really do it is dump the entire lot, but then some film bodies are not worth selling..but I would make a profit on just about all the lenses, some of those golden oldies were cheap to buy, and prices have risen a fair bit (50mm f1.7 is one example etc)
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Barry, you might check out the new Pentax K-x. Looks pretty good for a nice price.

I'll be back in Tokyo pretty soon so I am looking forward to checking out all the new cameras at the fantastic stores like Yodobashi, Bic Camera, and Sakuraya. I want to see this new Pentax, the Panasonic G1/GH1, the Sony A550, Olympus E-620, Olympus E-450, Pentax K-7, etc. :)
bfitzgerald

The new Pentax looks good, sadly it appears their blunder is to not show what AF point is being used in the VF, which is very annoying I would imagine. Leaving that aside, the specs are decent, and esp interesting is their use of cross sensors on outer AF points, something the A5xx series badly needs IMO. Video might appeal to some, not a big thing for me, sensor might be good. Overall, aside from the VF AF point thing, it's a pretty strong challenger to Sony

I think the AF is one area Sony need to re-vamp their models, it might be ok for entry ones, but the old 9 point AF (now minus the spot metering circle, thanks sony) is ages old, and really needs a beefing up. I am not picking on Sony now, but honestly, they do appear very lazy to me at times, they really did the min bare bones on the A5xx, and now it appears they might pay a price for that when other makers bring their ones out. They didn't even add an ISO indicator in the VF, really lazy man! :roll:
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

I think it might be a tad too early to judge the A500/A550 harshly just yet, but I do agree with BF on one thing, every camera whether it's a so called P&S upgrader/consumer cam or not should have the AEL button and the DOF preview button even if the potential customers don't know what they're used for...initially. If you look back at DSLR's over the years just about every one had the DOF button so why not continue with that? There is no excuse for not including them in a 5 series cam that's for sure.
But speaking of marketing strategy, specifically Sony's marketing strategy, if their intention is to flood the scenery with lots of models so that the average punter is overwhelmed with a sea of choices, most of them hopefully Sony, then where exactly does one purvey this bevy of model extravaganza, certainly not in your local camera shop, Sony doesn't like Mom and Dad camera shops...remember, and the chain stores that they do like have been falling over one after the other lately. Sony Style shops only seem to have a token gesture of DSLR stock serviced by staff that know very little about DSLR's anyway, so that whole strategy seems a little flawed...too me anyway.
We've got a classic example of marketing genius, locally...Sony has released pricing of the A850 too the Oz camera stores, obviously, as at least one that I checked had it listed at...$3,500 AUD....okey dokey $3500 got that....
Now, moving right along....Sony also has a price rebate running on the A900 of $500 AUD from a starting price of $4000 AUD ....hmmmm lessee now.....an A850 for $3500 OR an A900 for $3500 ....gee that's a tough one, how would I ever decide..... :lol:
Greg
bfitzgerald

Believe it or not I still reach for the DOF button on the A200, but it's not there! Still, I learnt to live with it and other missing bits aka super cheap price. I don't think there is any cost saving worth talking about with a DOF preview being removed, it's done, just as the other stuff (MLU, DMF, AEL spot toggle..) to chop down models. The A5xx series, to me is a let down, but not on one specific area, the combination of Sony's lack of putting stuff back (as above) and the live view aspect.

I have 0 interest in LV, and left eyed shooter as I am, the sticking out swivel LCD is going to get in the way of me using the OVF, and that's a no no, as it was on the A350. I won't dismiss the new A5xx series, the sensor looks fab, but I would not even consider it a viable option for me, I would not be happy, even at discounted prices. I'll be ebaying Dynax 5d's before I get something like that.

A850 sells for more than the A900 with some uk online sellers, if you can work that one out, you can have a medal ;-)
MichaelRoli
Acolyte

Sony A500/550 the verdict

Unread post by MichaelRoli »

Z: Im downloading your vid now.

Neo: Sure.. heh.. I remember seeing the video. You sure you want me to review that one? =p

Trunkz: Ill get to that asap.