A7xx

Create polls and watch the responses
Forum rules
Think hard before creating a poll. Admin may delete frivolous or repetitive polls!

Would you accept (buy) a translucent A700 replacement (EVF) if there is no OVF model available?

Yes
41%
No
22%
Maybe
37%

Total votes: 27

bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

A7xx

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

I guess this one has to be done.. 8)
Feel free to add why either way.

Would you accept a translucent A700 replacement (EVF) if there isn't an OVF model available to buy?
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Re: A7xx

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Was against EVF previously, but that due to poor EVFs of the past. But now I don't mind it at all.
Even would prefer EVF for APS-C and OVF for FF, but not for me to decide.
Maybe it is even better for a deteriorating/weakening eyesight.
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
Mike-Photos
Oligarch

Unread post by Mike-Photos »

Dr. Harout wrote:Was against EVF previously, but that due to poor EVFs of the past. But now I don't mind it at all.
Even would prefer EVF for APS-C and OVF for FF, but not for me to decide.
Maybe it is even better for a deteriorating/weakening eyesight.
Exactly my sentiments. I sold my Sony R1 because of the poor performance of the EVF.
Mike
Javelin
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Javelin »

Not really for or against but comparing the EVF on my A200 and A70 to my X700 it made me realize the OVF is seriously compromised already anyway. so if there not going to put 100% prism finders on the A7xx series then i'd likely prefer the EVF.

I used the EVF on my F171 and it worked fine for what I shoot
Dusty

Unread post by Dusty »

Put me down as another no. I want to see the scene with my own eye in the viewfinder, not some electronic interpretation of it. That way I can see if the electronic interpretation of it I get in the camera is correct with my eye.

Besides, who wants to waste battery power just to look thru the viewfinder?

Dusty
KevinBarrett

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

I wouldn't mind an EVF as a second camera, but I will always want to have an OVF.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

I would (will? :D ) buy an A7xx with EVF, but I will not be an early adopter - I'll be waiting for the end-of-life discounts ;) .
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

No, I wouldn't -anyway, it won't be an A7xx but an A7x
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dusty

Unread post by Dusty »

Birma wrote:I would (will? :D ) buy an A7xx with EVF, but I will not be an early adopter - I'll be waiting for the end-of-life discounts ;) .
That all depends upon just what those discounts are and what else is around by then, for me. Maybe my wife would like it, but a I don't think I ever will. If they last 3 years on the market, maybe Sony will be dumping them for $600 -700, body only. But then again the next gen EVF may have an HD EVF, and would you want the A77 then, or would you wait for THAT one to drop?

Just compare the 550 to the 580. Would you pick one up now, when you can get 2 extra MPs, DOF, MLU and GPS for a couple of hundred more? I wouldn't, and I was seriously considering it before the 580 specs came out.

Dusty

PS, does anyone else think Sony is limiting themselves by doing for a 2 digit model number in the new series? A 580 sounds so much more advanced than a 550 than does a 58 over a 55.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

No. I don't want an artificial view, I want to see the real thing optically. Who voted yes? where did all the yes votes come from? sounds a bit sus in my book.
Greg

ps. An A7x would have too be devoid of any legacy compatibility glitches for me to even consider one. There is a report that the A55 which doesn't have DMF is not totally compatibile with the 50mm Macro, there is no MF at the end of focussing like there should be, it remains locked up.
Greg
UrsaMajor
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by UrsaMajor »

My response is a definite "maybe". Given a choice between two equivalent cameras - one with EVF and one with OVF - both of which equally met my needs and desires, I would choose the model with OVF. However, the poll assumes that the OVF is not an option, so for me the purchasing decision would then be driven by how well the camera met my needs and desires.

I still have and use my KM A2 - although much less frequently than my KM 7D and Sony A700. Personally, I cannot recall any occasions on which the EVF prevented me from doing what I want when taking photos, and I can recall several occasions on which it allowed me to take shots that would have been impossible with an OVF without the use of an angle finder. For my own use, I would still strongly prefer an OVF, but an EVF would not automatically be a deal-killer. If a model with an EVF was the best available option, and the camera was enough better than my current equipment, I would buy it.

My concern would be that someone at Sony who has never used anything but a Point & Shoot camera might be the one deciding what he thinks would be "enough better". I suspect that the result would be a product that I would not purchase.

With best wishes,
- Tom -
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

I hear you Tom, I just think the SLT's (and the NEX's) are battery consuming electronic gimmicks basically, (quite good electronic gimmicks though as it turns out, but with a few glitches); I also think the 7 area doesn't need gimmicks. Every A7x is going to take a sale away from a possible, (but according to popular view unlikely), A7xx.
If Sony does eventually bring both to market, is the 7 model market big enough to support two versions?
Another question is will Sony do the same with those as they did with the A55 and the A580? How long will the A7x be available 'out there for sale' before the 'maybe' A7xx sees the light of day, if ever.
And that's the rub, if the A7x comes out and is the only one available naturally people will buy it in preference to a non existant A7xx, and that in turn makes the appearance of the A7xx even more unlikely, i.e. a self fulfilling prophecy.
I think also it's time for 7 model people to draw a line in the sand, stand up and be counted...whatever, and don't buy a gimmick, even if it's a gimmick on steroids....but they will buy it though just the same, they won't be able too resist, I'm a realist enough to know that.
Greg
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Greg Beetham wrote:And that's the rub, if the A7x comes out and is the only one available naturally people will buy it in preference to a non existant A7xx, and that in turn makes the appearance of the A7xx even more unlikely, i.e. a self fulfilling prophecy.
Another possibility is that Sony comes out with an OVF A7xx and an EVF A7x, but the A7xx OVF has been degraded so that it is not even as good as the A700, much less better. Then when people don't snap it up it will prove that people want an EVF. :)
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Don't worry Henry I already thought of that one too, but Sony would never be 'that' underhanded and devious...hmmm on second thoughts...nah they wouldn't do that, or 'obviously' do that because it would be a waste of resources and as Sony is run by beancounters and marketing 'experts' (you know, the guys we got 'make beleive' from) even they'd most likely be able to predict the model would be a flop, yep in the end it'd come down to the question of flopping potential I reckon. :D
Greg
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

I guess that anyone who might have their hands on this can't say. Maybe a new poll asking something like the following would be interesting. :lol:

When do you think the A77 will be released?

- Already released, but no one noticed. :D

- Just right around the corner, any day now, it won't be long now, very soon, or whatever other phrase that has been used for the last few years that you prefer.

- It will happen in a year in which the first digit is a 2, i.e., 2nnn.

- In my lifetime.

- In my childrens' lifetime.

- In my grandchildrens' lifetime.

- When the new Sony Tweet Your Weiner killer feature is ready that allows direct to Twitter posts instantly from the A77. :lol: