Sharpness and Displays

Computer, TV, digital projector connectivity and associated slideshow, framing, AV/DVD creation software
bossel
Viceroy

Sharpness and Displays

Unread post by bossel »

I had yesterday the doubious pleasure of viewing some of my own A700 pics on a CRT (cathode ray tube). Maybe some of you still remember :mrgreen: I was surprised about the softness. I think my LCD is much sharper. Is there any index to measure sharpness of a screen (and I think printing is even sharper)? I know there are colour-calibration devices (still don't own one though :? ), is there anything for sharpness? I feel the difference between a CRT and printing might be quite large so one might have some surprises when printing :roll: .
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Re: Sharpness and Displays

Unread post by Dusty »

Most monitors are running 72 - 96 DPI resolution. If you have the resolution set lower, it will look even softer. Try setting the monitors resolution at the highest the monitor can do, and see if that helps.

Dusty

PS, you look much more relaxed in the new pic.
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).
01af
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by 01af »

bossel wrote:I had yesterday the doubious pleasure of viewing some of my own A700 pics on a CRT (cathode ray tube). [...] I was surprised about the softness. I think my LCD is much sharper.
That's right---LCD displays generally are much sharper than CRTs. That's a natural consequence of the different principles of function (and it has nothing to do with DPI). So when preparing web images using a CRT monitor and sharpening them to look good on the CRT, they will look hopelessly over-sharpened on an LCD monitor.

And sharpening for print is a different kettle of fish still ... you cannot go by the visual appearance on the monitor, no matter whether it's CRT or LCD.

-- Olaf
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

This is completely off topic, but I agree with Dusty, your new avatar is a much more flattering photo.

I have never liked veiwing my a700 pictures on a CRT television. In addition to the softness, there appears to be a lot of cropping and distortion in the veiw...though now I'm thinking there's a setting I need to switch for that latter problem.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
bossel
Viceroy

Unread post by bossel »

KevinBarrett wrote:... I agree with Dusty, your new avatar is a much more flattering photo.
Ha Ha Ha ... thanks Kevin and Dusty! :D
marktuma
Initiate

Unread post by marktuma »

KevinBarrett wrote: I have never liked veiwing my a700 pictures on a CRT television. In addition to the softness, there appears to be a lot of cropping and distortion in the veiw...though now I'm thinking there's a setting I need to switch for that latter problem.
I get quite nasty flickering when I view pictures through my TV set. Is this just me or does everyone get the same thing?
MichaelRoli
Acolyte

Sharpness and Displays

Unread post by MichaelRoli »

Simple rotation without resizing will not affect absolute sharpness of an image, regardless of the degree of rotation. But it might appear to do so on your screen, since your monitors resolution is only 72-96 dpi.

Nevertheless, I always save postpone final sharpening until the last post-production step and RAW pre-sharpening until after rotation/straightening.