30fps 1080p HD video on Canon

Computer, TV, digital projector connectivity and associated slideshow, framing, AV/DVD creation software
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

30fps 1080p HD video on Canon

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

I know that Don (Sonolta) has repeated many times that the market does need anything faster than 24 fps. Canon just did exactly what I felt would be coming - 1080p at 30fps. Only they did it in a full frame DSLR...
------------------------------------

Press info:

United Kingdom / Republic of Ireland, 17 September 2008: Canon announces the full frame, 21.1 Megapixel EOS 5D Mark II: the first EOS with full High Definition video capability.

Compact, lightweight and with environmental protection, the successor to the EOS 5D boasts a newly designed Canon CMOS sensor, with ISO sensitivity up to 25,600 for shooting in low light conditions. The new DiG!C 4 processor combines with the improved CMOS sensor to deliver medium format territory image quality at 3.9 frames per second, for up to 310 frames (when shooting in JPEG’s with a UDMA card with 2GB capacity or greater).

Triggered from Live View Mode, HD video capture allows users to shoot uninterrupted at full 1080 resolution at 30fps – for amazing quality footage with outstanding levels of detail and realism.

The integration of HD movie capability into a high-end 21.1 Megapixel camera opens a multitude of new possibilities for photojournalists and news photographers. With its full frame CMOS sensor and outstanding ISO performance, the EOS 5D Mark II will appeal to any photographer in search of the finest camera equipment available – from studio and wedding to nature and travel photographers.

---------------------------------------

David
Birma
Tower of Babel

Re: 30fps 1080p HD video on Canon

Unread post by Birma »

Since the birth of my daugther (6 months does just fly by!) I have been wondering if I want to buy a video camera to capture those family memories, as well as taking stills with my DSLR. Now it seems I don't need to bother with a separate video device as my next DSLR will probably have video capture ability as well. Roll on the A750 (or whatever :D )!
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Canon folk seem to have missed the fact that Canon also launched new Powershot models today - including the SX1 IS at £519 which includes the DIG!C 4, 4 fps shooting at 10 megapixels:

Some details for the SX10 IS and SX1 IS:

* 20x wide-angle (28mm, f/2.8) optical zoom with optical Image Stabilizer
* 10.0 Megapixels
* Canon CMOS sensor for full resolution continuous 4fps shooting
(PowerShot SX1 IS)
* Full HD (1080p, 30fps) movies plus HDMI output (PowerShot SX1 IS)
* DIGIC 4 for outstanding images and fast response times
* Shooting modes include full manual control
* Great people shots with Face Detection AF/AE/FE/WB plus
Face Select & Track and FaceSelf-Timer
* Targets every possible cause of blur with High ISO Auto, optical
Image Stabilizer, Motion Detection Technology and Servo AF
* Auto Red-Eye Correction in shooting and playback
* i-Contrast boosts brightness and retains detail in dark areas
* 2.5” vari-angle LCD II with wide viewing angle plus electronic viewfinder (PowerShot SX10 IS)
* 2.8” widescreen vari-angle LCD II with wide viewing angle (PowerShot SX1 IS)
* Multi Control Dial and customizable My Menu
* Smooth, 30fps VGA movies (PowerShot SX10 IS)

So far anyone wanting 1080p, 30fps movies this pocket camera is about 1/4 to 1/5th the price of the 5D MkII, has a vari-angle viewing screen as well as an EVIL finder, image stablisation, a very wide range f2.8 constant aperture zoom (28-560mm equivalent - help!) etc. Sound much more versatile and practical to me than shooting on the 5D MkII with no possibility of zooming to that range. Personally I would rather have one of these plus an A900 (admittedly it costs more) or wait for Sony to produce their own consumer compact with much the same functions - because 1080p, 30fps is where it's going.

David
Winston
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Winston »

David Kilpatrick wrote:Canon folk seem to have missed the fact that Canon also launched new Powershot models today - including the SX1 IS at £519 which includes the DIG!C 4, 4 fps shooting at 10 megapixels:
David
I carry 10 kilos of photo gear on African safaris...maybe I only need two of these?...food for thought.
Winston Mitchell
KM7D, A700, A77, A77M2, A7M3